neutral instead of second

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neutral instead of second

should i be able to select neutral instead of second on a down change? has only happened once when i was down shifting at slow speed, however i seem to keep selecting neutrak instead of second on the upshift. this only happens if im being a bit to gentle and sloppy but it happens at all speeds if i dont shift sharply into second it will pick neutral and free rev, the bike in question is a gpx250r 1992 has done a bit over 60000k, could something in the box be faulty or do i have to stop being picky and just put up with it?
    I know i cant spell, please don't feel the need to correct me

Sounds about right. Be more direct and deliberate in your changes and all should be good.
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

So are you getting a nuetral when going from third down to second ?
      False nuetrals do exist and it's usually either flogged out shifting bits in your box or the rider not being positive enough on the gear change. Usually the latter.
      As Aphex says, this would mostly be the cause of you missing the upshift and selecting nuetral instead of second as well.
      CAUTION: ATTEMPTING TO OVERTAKE THIS VEHICLE MAY RESULT IN A HIGH SPEED WHEELIE

Comment

i think its coz im not shifting firmly enough, however it did it to me the other day shifting down, thats why i asked.

Comment

When was the oil last changed. (I think the gpx's) Share oil with the engine/gearbox. Some oils create a nicer shift feel than others depending on natural,synthetic, oil weight, etc.

Comment

it is probably just your lazy foot.. as you have said.. be more firm with your gear changes..
            if you have a link rod (cant remember on the gpx1/4L) then adjust it a bit to lower the selector lever..
            Norm
            Its a Tour not a Race - Just don't get in my way when I'm Touring.

OzVFR.net MGP Tipping Mews News

Comment

Maybe adjust your lever a tad lower so you can apply better upward force etc to get a more positive gear change action... Just a though.

Jarrod

p.s. maybe I should read all posts before replying... good work insane
              Handled by one.... Feared by all

Comment

It has happened to me before when I'm being a bit lazy with gear shifts.

You just have to use a little more pressure with your shifts or move your lever down.

Comment

I give it a good forceful click, make sure I can feel it. If I'm actually aiming for neutral as I downshift I do it very gently, but generally speaking a fair bit of force to change gears and it clicks through nicely.
                  Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

Happens to me sometimes. Usually at low speed. Just gotta be firm. Wakes me up a bit.
                    Feels good man.

Comment

rev the tits off it when it happens... it makes u look cool
                      (226): Forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions.

Comment

In short just pre-load the gear lever before you pull in the clutch and get of the accelerator. That should help....

Comment

Originally posted by Moorby View Post
                          rev the tits off it when it happens... it makes u look cool

rofl nice call there

Comment

No more force needed, just hold the lever pressure until you feel it click into gear, while you let the clutch out.
                            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

did it again this morning, and i was being firm with all my changes, nearly whent over handlebars lol, oil change was not long ago, mind you i've got some motul to put in so i might change it again anyway. will look at adjusting but i dont think its adjustment as when i where me rjays boots it still does it and there a lot taller than the work boots i usually ride in.

Comment

Working...
                              X