Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trading in a motorcycle?

hey guys and gals,
    selling my sv1000 at the moment and havent had much luck yet, which got me thinking... i was wondering what the deal is with trading in a motorcycle!

before you advertise your bike do you always see how much you could get from a dealer first?
    does anyone just go straight to dealers and not worry about the hassle of private sales?
    has anyone later found out they could have got more for their bike from the dealer than they did when they sold it privately?
    from experience are there better bike shops to trade your bike than others or are they all much of a muchness?

cheers, Al
    Last edited by 'AL'; 19-11-2007, 12:15 PM.
    Buy a vtwin!
    http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-sv1000-43710/

depends. if they have nothing on the floor like your bike, they will pay more for it as it's more valuable stock. if they have 3 or 4 they will trade it, but only if they can "nick" it off you. check out red book.
    Originally posted by kyliejane
    benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
    Originally posted by harns
    Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Mate, redbook is a joke,
      It all depends on your bike, and what you are actually trading it in on.

Comment

If you are looking at trading in on something of comparable value your in trouble, trade it on something worth much more and you won't get raped as badly, bike shops have overheads so they need to make at least as much as it will cost keep it till it sells.

Comment

It doesn't matter what your trading it in on. It is worth what it is worth (ie what someone will give you for it) people only say you get more on a more expensive bike because the dealer has more trading margin and therefore can 'show' that you're getting more for your trade by taking away some of there profit. Basically robbing peter to pay paul. If you want to garuntee the best trade in and best deal on a new bike you need to be an asshole and piss off several bike shops to do it. Go in and ask how much they'll give you to buy your bike outright from 3 stores. remember the best figure and write it down. Then go to 3 other stores preferably and negotiate the best possible deal on the new bike. after the deal is negotiated become a real asshole by saying you have a trade it (obviously before you sign) and you've had a figure of $XXX (obviously the best outright buy figure). Now you have successfully fucked the dealer in the ass, made no friends, and if anything should go wrong with your new prized possession the dealer will laugh about it and think you deserved it and be reluctant to help you.

My opinion, is get maybe one or 2 different change over figures (change over = what the balance is after you've traded your bike) go with the dealer most willing to help and then negotiate. That way you keep friends, get a new bike, and everyone is happy.
          Last edited by kwakas; 19-11-2007, 12:39 PM.
          Originally posted by kyliejane
          benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
          Originally posted by harns
          Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kwakas View Post
            after the deal is negotiated become a real asshole by saying you have a trade it (obviously before you sign) and you've had a figure of (obviously the best outright buy figure). Now you have successfully fucked the dealer in the ass, made no friends, and if anything should go wrong with your new prized possession the dealer will laugh about it and think you deserved it and be less reluctant to help you
            Yeah, that'll work, everyone loves arsehole customers

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
              Yeah, that'll work, everyone loves arsehole customers

i believe he is making that same point....
              If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

bit like honda salesman hehe
                Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Just go to the dealer of the next bike you are interested in and wee what they offer... Dealers want to make a bit of profit on your bike so the trade in want be much... It will be a good indication what price you can expect to get with private sale say usually from $1K - $3K more depending on the bike and condition...

Good luck!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X