Safe Lane Splitting Speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe Lane Splitting Speed?

Hi all. Still enjoying the fact that it is legal to lane spilt here in W.A. and loving it. However, I have impressed by the jetwash left by some other riders whom appear to want to get to work alot faster than I do.
    I'm mainly talking about the freeways. I only start spliting if the traffic slows to down to around 55-45km, I'm not new to riding however just think I need a couple of pointers in this specialty. Under 60km, I feel I have enough vision and ability to aviod any dramas. But on the other hand I have been blasted by the odd bike, (all shapes and sizes) at over 90km, hey the can ride, but i don't think I could trust every other road user to go that quick. Any pointers?
    sigpic

I pretty much do the same as you.
    I'd say it's more a personal thing about your own comfort level.
    Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

I dont do it unless the traffic's at a crawl. Ive seen too many tard cagers dart across lanes very suddenly and without indication during peak hour.

Personal thing though. What ever you're comfortable with.
      In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
      Its the little things that make the difference
      Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
      If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

I have, in a past life split at 80-100kph.
        Generally by 70kph I'm back in traffic as cars are spacing out and people want to change lanes.

Stationary cars I'll filter past at 50-60kph tops.

All depends on visibility, the gap, distance between cars and a heap of other factors.

Comment

my normal splitting speed is about 70. Ive got my own style of riding that pisses off cages and prob a couple of guys on bikes out there But ive had way more close calls riding passively compaired to aggressivly. Ive done the freeway every day for the last few years in peek hour with no major incidents (touch wood). Each to thier own I guess

Comment

There is no safe lanesplitting speed.

Comment

Real riders lane split on ST1100s... (now there's a wide bike)
              Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post

Very zen

Comment

i split on whatever speed feels safe at the time

Comment

Originally posted by Aphex View Post
                    I dont do it unless the traffic's at a crawl. Ive seen too many tard cagers dart across lanes very suddenly and without indication during peak hour.

Personal thing though. What ever you're comfortable with.
                    +1. I don't feel the need or reason to split at speeds greater than say 60km/h. Others will quite happily do it at whatever speed, regardless of how fast the traffic is moving.

Comment

One wheel or two?

Comment

I feel that somewhere just under the sound barrier is acceptable

seriously though, around 60 is where I start getting back in queue. Even less on my cruise to work as I don't hit the freeway.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                          One wheel or two?
                          a bit off topic here, but i read this post and in the fraction of a second before i looked left to see who the author was my first thought was desmo.............
                          "Redlines are merely suggestions"
                          "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post

Yep what lee said

On the road everyday and wouldn't trust car drivers as far as i could throw them quite frankly. Too much lane changing swerving without indicating etc.

Too risky for my liking

But just be careful what ever speed you do it at ok?
                            `Ride on Cam - No. 52` :aus-salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                              One wheel or two?
                              Rather 2 wheels, the Blackbird can do one wheel, but the rider knows not to try LOL
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X