Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motoguzzis, is the gyroscope thing true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motoguzzis, is the gyroscope thing true?

Guzzis are dead sexy but everytime I bring it up I get laughed at (which makes me like them more), and someone always pipes up and says the config means its hard to lean in one direction round corners, due to a gyroscopic effect. Is there any truth to this?
    the universe is hostile

Yes, just sit on one and rev it.

Comment

I'm no expert but I would have to say that it isn't the gyroscopic forces that are the problem however, there is a noticable quirkiness that arises from engines that have their crankshaft parallel to the direction of travel rather than across the bike. It obviously isn't that much of a problem because Goldwings, Rocket3s, BMW boxers, and Guzzi V-twins are still made. It comes in to play when you change engine revs, up or down, as the engine revs up it will want to twist in one direction and as you decellerate it will want to twist in the other direction. You will probably notice it most if you rev it quickly, such as at the lights with the clutch in, you will feel the bike lean one way but not enough to knock you over. I've only ridden one Guzzi and found it no problem whatsoever, barely noticeable. I think most people steer away from Guzzi's because they don't give you as many hp for your dollar, but its not always about horses is it. Incidentally, you might be able to notice the same twisting effect if you rev a car quickly at a standstill. Go the Guzzi if that is your love.

Comment

Funny - never noticed it on the ST1100 which is (I believe) pretty similar as a shaft driven transverse V configuration...
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
          Funny - never noticed it on the ST1100 which is (I believe) pretty similar as a shaft driven transverse V configuration...
          Balance shafts?

Comment

Nope, not a twin.

Comment

I'd be guessing you're referring to a contrivance of mechanical nature whereby a counter-rotating parallel shaft is added somewhere in the crank case to minimise the effect?

Who knows whether there's one in there - but I woulda thought that to offset the angular momentum of a balanced crankshaft you're talking some pretty serious gearing and/or weight...
              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                Who knows whether there's one in there
                Google does. And they have.

Comment

That would go partway to explaining why the bastards are so heavy

Comment

Originally posted by greshaki View Post
                    Guzzis are dead sexy but everytime I bring it up I get laughed at (which makes me like them more), and someone always pipes up and says the config means its hard to lean in one direction round corners, due to a gyroscopic effect. Is there any truth to this?
                    Yes and no yes if you sit on one and give it a rev with no load it will tweak to the side a bit. The relality is ont he road with the gyroscopic effect of the wheels and the interia of the bike you would be really hard pressed to notice it. The shaft jack on the much older ones was more prominate but on the "sporting" models that has been eliminated with a similar setup to BMW's paraleaver.

If I jump striaght from my motard to the road bike I will notice a slight pull as I rev match down through the gears the road bike has a much heavier flywheel than the current machines. After the first couple of times it disappears. If you want to really confuse people explain that is better in the corners as the rotation of the crank is not transfering wieght fore/aft as you power out of corners. Basically if it does make a difference its not worth worring about.

BTW

Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

That is still one of the sexiest bikes i have ever seen mmm

Comment

Bike?

Comment

On secound thoughs the real answer to the orginal question is yes it makes a huge difference and only if you have son of Oborno Tenni (look it up) skills and years and years of practise may you come terms with mastering the mighty goose.

Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

when you talk of guzzi's and them leaning i invariably think offfff:

Sopwith Camel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Camel turned slowly to the left with a nose-up attitude, but turned very sharply to the right with a nose-down attitude.
                            hehe comparing guzzi's to WW1 aircraft

Comment

Originally posted by Pkunk View Post

hehe comparing guzzi's to WW1 aircraft
                              Funny that the founding members meet in WWI in the Italian airforce the eagle is from thier squadron. They wanted to go Motorcycle racing after the war so they built thier own.

Comment

Working...
                              X