Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 or 1000 ?

hey all

well its getting close to buy time.... by that i mean february.

im looking at the gixr 750 or thou...

i always wanted the thou but the 750's are just getting even more impressive.

what i want to know....and cant find... is the specs for them...

as in 0 - 100 and quarter mile and horespower .... all that stuff..

can anyone give me a site or exact details....?

cheers

jack

Mate, I own a thou, and less than 20 minutes ago, I rode megs 750.
    All I have to say is that for a useable, flickable bike, get the 750.
    Thous really are too much for the road, and their extra weight and different geometry really do make them quite hard to ride, especially if this is your first big bike?
    The 750 is the best of both worlds, a 600 chassis with a 750 motor, they don't seem to suffer the lack of low down power that the 600's do, and aren't quite as brutal as the 1000's.
    IMHO, the 750 format is ideal for road use, torquey, powerful and rideable.
    It's just a shame that only a few manufacturers see this fact.

Comment

Bing....I too have ridden Megs 750 and I reckon its easier and less intimidating to ride than my 1000...

The 750 is a top bike.

Comment

Just think how cut thou owners will be when you chop them on the 750
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

In b4 Cap/Tyson saying get a Busa.......

If it were me, I'd take the 750. From what I've hear (Zhorst aside) they are an amazing bike. Also, litres are apparently a bit brutal when coming from a 250. Not that I'd know.

Ride them both and see what you like.
          c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

My opinion wouldn't count for much even though I have riden 750 and 600 I haven't riden a thou. I just want to take the opportunity to say, why oh why don't more manufacturers make 750's. I want to step up to one next but also want a Honda, the two don't come together....

Comment

get the 750 - no doubt at all
              a very very involving ride
              Curry
              To Grow Up is to Give Up...

Comment

I went straight to a thou, and the early R1s in particular are renowned for being a brutal piece of kit, but you've seen my size/build and understandably the larger frame, extra mid-range and extra torque are handy for me. The fact that from a handling point of view, it needs to be muscled around and shown who's boss isn't too much of an issue.

I realise that the latest crop of 1000cc bikes are far more refined etc. but for you I'd still recommend the 750 (flickability etc) my 2c
                Find me on Instagram

Comment

@ browca04.

Nah, depends what you want to do with it.

I don't know the difference in riding position etc between the 750/1000.

The bus works for me because I cramped to shit just looking at the 'race bikes' aka GSXR 750/1000, R1 et al after getting off the FJ1200 and ST1100s which are much more relaxed in the leg, back, shoulder and wrist departments. I'm working my way back down though.

Haven't ridden a thou before, but Megs' and Lee's 750s were both nimble and still fairly spirited little bikes even if you did have to whack the throttle a little harder.

Personally, I'd go the 750 first. If you have to have that little extra grunt THEN look at a trade up after a year or two. But looking at the way most of the FNR 750 guys keep up, you'll find that it's your skills holding you back rather than an extra 250cc...
                  "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyrus View Post
                    get the 750 - no doubt at all
                    a very very involving ride
                    Curry
                    ^^^Zeph knows....he down? graded to a 750...I think the 1000 just scared him too much...

Comment

Originally posted by Bushyz View Post
                      My opinion wouldn't count for much even though I have riden 750 and 600 I haven't riden a thou. I just want to take the opportunity to say, why oh why don't more manufacturers make 750's. I want to step up to one next but also want a Honda, the two don't come together....
                      Well you can actually blame the manufacrers for that one. Once upon a time all the race replica's were 750's the 1000's and 600's were big torque sports tourers with fairings that actually worked centre stands and other practical do dads. This was due to the WSBK's where the twins were allowed 1000 cc and the fours 750 it was orginally based on valve area twins usally not been able to match the fours nor were they expected to be compedative but for a euro based race series it was good to have Ducati form a marketing piont of view.
                      bimota turned up with a few Yamaha powered creations too. Modifcation of the bikes was pretty free compared to now. This is why Ducati contiuned to be compedative with thier 1000 twin after the 1000 inline fours as thier bikes were still built to the old rules.

So you had the ZX7R FZR750 GSXR750 and Honda been honda running a V4 you had to fork out for the RC45 if you wanted the homogation model. The closest mere mortals could get was the VFR750. Yammie latter spat out the super exclusive FZ?7RR. So basically if Honda still made a 750 you couldn't afford it anyway.

Suzuki have kept making the 750 which is argubly one of the best sporting inline fours for the road, the 600's are orrible piles of poo IMO and the thousands a bit too ape [email protected]#$.

So buy Viffer 800 if you have to have the big H or maybe you can find a SP2 if you want big H's superbike weapon under the old rules.
                      Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by browca04 View Post
                        From what I've hear (Zhorst aside) they are an amazing bike
                        Megs has a Micron on it now, sounds gorgeous.

Originally posted by Bushyz View Post
                        why oh why don't more manufacturers make 750's.
                        Superbike racing used to be the domain of the 750's. When they went to 1000 c's, the majority of manufacturers saw no point in the continuation of the product line, which really is a shame.
                        If I was after a new road bike, I would seriously look at a 750, I'm well impressed.

Comment

Who knows... maybe with the recent rule changes to motogp we could perhaps see an 800cc segment, which is "near enough" to 750cc...

I surely can't be the only one who sees the marketing opportunities for the big 4 here... personally I'd love to see honda put out an angry as fuck VFR800 variant...
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Well I am a bit miffed, I always thought you should buy a bike that suits your riding style not the HP it produces. If you want to drag the bike worry about the HP, if you want to race the bike concider the corner speed you can carry. If its for the road then go out and test ride every bike out there and then decide what best suits you for what YOU want to get out of it..
                            Me personally I prefer the Gixer1000 over the 750 but thats my opinion, my wife also test rode the 750 and fell in love with the 1000 over the 750 now we have 2 black ones in the carport.

My 2 cents worth

Comment

Go the M4 exhaust on the GIXER 1000 they sound awesome

Comment

Working...
                              X