• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Upcoming US Police Gadgets

Top five upcoming tech gadgets for cops

Posted Nov 17th 2007 3:23PM by Chris Shunk
    Filed under: Gadgets, Government/Legal, Tech, Police/Emergency

Many criminals today have tools to evade capture, and now tech companies are doing their best to help law enforcement catch up. License-reading cameras, infrared lights, GPS tracking, enhanced communications, and WMD sensors are just a few of the ways that cops are helping to get criminals, but law-breakers are constantly adapting their methods. Popular Mechanics analyzed all the new technology that is helping the good guys catch the bad guys, and they've come up with a list of the most cop-friendly gadgets. You can check them out after the jump.

[Source: Popular Mechanics]

1. Carbon Motors E7: A custom police cruiser option with bullet-proof panels and dash, WMD sensors, all the latest cameras, and more.
    2. Project54 Voice Command System: It's SYNC for police vehicles, with voice commands for pursuit, radar detection, and license checks.
    3. Automatic License Check Cameras: This pricey piece scans every license it passes, helping police find hit and run drivers, wanted men, and Amber alerts.
    4. StarChase GPS Launcher: Its shoots a GPS-enabled projectile at the bad guys, which sticks to the vehicle and helps cops track it down.
    5. Rumbler Intersection Clearing System: It uses eight-inch subwoofers to create enough base to notify drivers around the patrol car that they need to get out of the way.

I don't really get the doof doof intersection clearing system... (Number 5)

Comment

some of the comments from those links are hilarious.

Edit:177. RE: Top 5 Next-Gen Cop Car Gadgets
      Can any of you guys build a spy cam in a form of a UFO so that every hostage taking. Just like a size of an ordinary plate or smaller, these gadgets can determine how many hostage takers and hostages are there. And also, it has to be equiped with the latest innovation, like xray, camera, heat sensors, microphones etc. These will serve as cops eyes and ears from above.

truly epic
      Cant keep my eyes from the circling skys,Tongue tied & twisted just an earthbound misfit I.

Comment

lol i saw it somewhere

apparently it will actually shake vehicles from over a block away. Like a siren on steroids.

Comment

I thought we had the automatic licence plate recognition already in Australia - the cops on Manning Rd. were pulling over random cars whenever it flashed up something on their system, and while watching for 5 mins from the car park they didn't let anyone go after they pulled them over.
          Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

Check out the latest from Dick Smith Electronics. You can buy a ploice pursuit set where the good guys chase the bad guys and when you get close enough a force field imobilises the car. Great for the kids at christmas.

Comment

WMD sensors?? to detect weapons of mass destruction? when i read "american" and "wmd", thats what springs to mind

Comment

Originally posted by Tenchi View Post
                I thought we had the automatic licence plate recognition already in Australia - the cops on Manning Rd. were pulling over random cars whenever it flashed up something on their system, and while watching for 5 mins from the car park they didn't let anyone go after they pulled them over.
                Number plate recognition systems are already in use internationally however in WA due to our fancy blue on white number plates, they have a little trouble. The majour players are currently doing more R&D to solve the issue.
                In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                Its the little things that make the difference
                Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Change the cameras to B/W???

BY JOVE I THINK HE'S GOT IT!!!!
                  c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

reminds me of that miniseries "viper"
                    No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Working...
                    X