Committee to consider more speed cameras in bid to reduce road toll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Committee to consider more speed cameras in bid to reduce road toll

There you go, all the road toll problems solved!
    I particularly like this line:
    "Mr Cameron says it is not about revenue raising but rather changing driver behaviour."
    Or this:
    "But, provided a proper study is made, I think there is a place for speed cameras provided they are located in dangerous parts of our road network."

Finance, Business and Company News - Yahoo!7
    Last edited by 19andrew59; 30-11-2007, 05:54 AM.

In before Billywhizz says it's out own fault for sitting back and doing nothing.

And he's right.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 19andrew59 View Post
      "Mr Cameron says it is not about revenue raising but rather changing driver behavior."
      The name of the link would beg to differ.

Edit: Oh and the only thing we could have done to stop bringing more in, that would have actually been influential, is to break every single one of their cameras whenever they showed up on the side of the road. Governments react to all petitions and protests with a:"HA, fuck off, I'm going to do it anyway."
      This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

well who the hell do we direct our questions at? do we see our local member?
        im sure email from your average jo-citizen will be junked as soon as they enter higher up's boxes
        im a holding, stroking, loving machine...also spanking

Comment

"provided they are located in dangerous parts of our road network."
          How often has this been repeated and how often are they really located at "black" spots?

Comment

Mr Cameron says it is not about revenue raising but rather changing driver behaviour. "It means possibly 4200 fewer people killed and seriously injured over the next 12 years," he said.
            So if we put some in and measure the road toll over the next few years, and notice it doesn't go down, we pull them out, or get a refund?

Like has been the case for the past 10 years or so?

Like the UK has determined, noting that their road toll *was* dropping every year before camera introduction, and since then has remained constant or risen - and they have over 4000 of the fucking things?
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

"It means possibly 4200 fewer people killed and seriously injured over the next 12 years," he said.

Based on what??

Comment

Originally posted by Dyno View Post
                well who the hell do we direct our questions at? do we see our local member?
                im sure email from your average jo-citizen will be junked as soon as they enter higher up's boxes

no point emailing rsc you get copy/pasted answers from their website

comparing death toll/population its actually going down, rsc target of zero is setting up for failure.
                "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

"The definition of insantity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results" Albert Enstien.
                  In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                  Its the little things that make the difference
                  Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                  If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

We all know it’s a revenue grab, they cannot even disguise the fact themselves. Only 10% of fatalities are directly related to excessive speed.

So what are they going to do about the other 90%. Increase the police presence on the road, Don’t be stupid, that costs money.

Seriously its another fucking joke by a joke of a government that has no real interest in slowing down the road toll. 4200 deaths saved over 12 years. That’s 350 a year, or pretty much what we manage to kill a year in this state. Do they think we are all retarded?

We are on line for our 3rd 2 billion dollar plus surplus – Lets put some of it into reducing the huge tragedy on our roads. Instead of increasing the surplus.

Comment

The real problem with this is that it is very hard for members of the public to criticise it without sounding like we just want to speed.

See I'm actually conflicted because I do think there is a place for speed cameras on our roads - provided they are used properly. I fully support the installation of fixed speed cameras at serious black spots. I would genuinely be impressed if the road safety drones put in fixed cameras on that section of "old ghost road" just south of the Dawesville Cut. Right at the beginning of the really dangerous part there should be a massive sign that says "BLACK SPOT AREA - PLEASE DRIVE CAREFULLY - FIXED SPEED CAMERAS AHEAD" and then have 3 or 4 fixed cameras scattered along the section of road. I honestly believe that would slow people down through the notoriously dangerous stretch of road, and isnt that the objective? No one could claim that was revenue raising, that is a pure and simple safety initiative.

Comment

Okay BillyWhizz, im joining MRA next year

Oh and i posted this earlier and think it deserves a repost.

Motorcycle Training, Safety and expert Video: Speed Cameras, The Case Against

Speed Cameras, The Case Against

This excellent paper by Paul Smith is essential reading for those interested in the arguments surrounding speed and cameras on UK roads.
                        Introduction
                        The way that speed cameras have been introduced to British roads has been shoddy in the extreme. There have been no proper trials of their effectiveness as a blackspot treatment, no investigation of their possible side effects and precious little thought about their overall effects on our worthy but fragile road safety systems.
                        Yet politicians, campaigners, so-called scientists and others have been keen to jump on the speed camera bandwagon and tell us that it is all for our own good – based on little more than blind faith and an oversimplified assessment of reality.
                        And now the country is infested with cameras. The number of speed camera fines is doubling every 3 years, yet roads fatalities are not falling at all. We have every right to expect roads fatalities to fall without assistance from government policy because both vehicle engineering and medical care are improving at a considerable pace and making similar crashes more survivable every year. These improvements in medical care and vehicle engineering are much larger than the growth in traffic.
                        In this document we will show how and why we believe that bad road safety policy, based on speed cameras, is actually making drivers less effective at avoiding accidents  to the dangerous extent of entirely negating the engineering and medical care improvements that we are receiving.
                        The full paper can be read in pdf format.

Comment

Aaah Mr Cameron. Quite the shit dribbling fuckstick arent you. Pity your precious speed cameras have done little to reduce the road toll, epsecially this year and last year. Ooh look, I wonder what the highest cause of serious crashes was in 2006!

Cause No. Proportion
                          Alcohol 45 7.9%
                          Alcohol/Drugs 6 1.0%
                          Alcohol/Speed 56 9.8%
                          Animals 10 1.7%
                          Careless 100 17.5%
                          Contravene TCL 2 0.3%
                          Drugs 4 0.7%
                          Fail to give way 55 9.6%
                          Fatigue 28 4.9%
                          Heart attack 2 0.3%
                          Inattention 75 13.1%
                          Inexperience 13 2.3%
                          Load shift 2 0.3%
                          Mechanical 2 0.3%
                          NULL 4 0.7%
                          Object through window 1 0.2%
                          Other medical 19 3.3%
                          Overtaking 23 4.0%
                          Person fell from Vehicle 4 0.7%
                          Reckless 21 3.7%
                          Road Condition 6 1.0%
                          Speed 68 11.9%
                          Stop sign 3 0.5%
                          Travel too close 2 0.3%
                          Turn in front 4 0.7%
                          Tyre blow out 9 1.6%
                          Visibility 4 0.7%
                          Weather Conditions 4 0.7%
                          Total 572 100.0%

Source: Hansard, Legislative Assembly, 16 October 2007

Assholes.

Comment

"Hey MR Cameron! People on the Internet think that more speed camera's is a dumb idea and that increased driver training and better roads would lower the states' road toll.. I mean they're on the brink of rebellion!!!"

"More speed cameras will fix this."
                            c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

Well, I feel safer already...

Did it ever occur to anyone that if everyone stopped speeding there'd be no profit in speed cameras, and they'd all progressively go away and the reintroduction as people started speeding up again would be slower? It's pretty safe to say they have been revenue raisers for a long time. If they weren't, then they'd increase demerits and decrease fines.

I don't agree with speed cameras on the grounds that they justify them as being for our safety. I have occasionally seen speed cameras in school zones, and I back that 100%. But I don't feel seeing a speed camera on a straight stretch of 2-3 lane road with a 100 limit as being in the interest of my safety as opposed to having an increased highway patrol there to pull over the guy who was swerving all over the road and almost hit me. So if they'd say "They're here to generate revenue. You want to use our roads? You follow our road rules. Deal with it" then I'd respect that they were at least being honest with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X