CBR1000F-anyone had one or got one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBR1000F-anyone had one or got one?

heaading over east soon for a long holiday and need to pick up a touring bike that'll carry a couple of bags and a swag.
    my best idea so far is a CBR1000F between 91-97
    i'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them and what the go wiht them is.
    also, if someone else has a recommendation of a bike for this kind of a trip, that'd be handy too. the price limit is about 7000.
    good times

Never ridden one, but I have heard them nicknamed "the flying sofa"...
    "No machine has a soul until a man shares his own with it."

Comment

thanks for that, i feel so much smarter now.
      good times

Comment

PM CBR1K and The Godfather.

CBR1K has one at the moment, and The Godfather used to own one.

***search is your friend***
        Originally posted by Viper
        I'm probably fucking something up.
        FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
        Administrator

Comment

Guy at work has one. If they rattle then cam chain tensioner is on it's way out. Other than that they are pretty reliable.

A second hand bandit 1200 may be easily in your price range and can carry luggage. Bulletproof oil/air cooled motor as well. I know a couple of guys who have ridden across Aus quit e a few times. At least one fo the Bandits went around the Clock once and when it was last traded in still went like a steam train.

Others that could be a look in are the Triumph ST and Triumph Tiger. Honda ST1100 maybe?

Comment

the bandit is a good idea, cheers.

i wonder how an oil cooled engine will go in north queensland through the wet?
            good times

Comment

Should be no problems mate. The old Gixxer 1100 motor should handle most things. Just remember your oil changes every 6000 and a little maintenance and you'll chew up the K's

Comment

Originally posted by FJ Steve View Post
                PM CBR1K and The Godfather.

CBR1K has one at the moment, and The Godfather used to own one.

***search is your friend***
                Fat Pat has one as well. I've done about 60000 k's on my second-hand one (total of about 110000K's now - first owner was a priest "no kidding" .

I service it every 5000 (easier to remember than 6000 is all)

Great bike, fairly understressed, and will cruise at 140 (allegedly ) all day long. Mine's a '96 model, after that they went EFI I think, and it don't miss a trick. The only strange thing is that mine has chewed out a couple of speedo drive lugs and a speedo cable, but thats about that. Mine gets about 350 k's to a tank (riding semi-willing) and is reasonable easy on tyres, though I wouldn't call myself a street "legend".

There are "issues" with the electrics (voltage regs??) but not on mine and that story may be apocraphal (or at least wildy inaccurate :mellow. Is that a Honda thing?

I love it. Big bore, lazy revving sports tourer, it's perfect for my commuting need (44 k's on freeway with a spurt at the start and a lot of splitting at the end), but lifts it's skirts and will get up to 200+ in fairly short order.

Only thing missing is a better exhaust, as it's perhaps too silent. When my wife lets me, I may get a decent and "notey" 4 into 1 and a nice can, buts that's about that.

Any good to you?
                Dead Man's Hand
                Internationational Porter Protection Group
                Just call me Pat

Comment

It sounds like for what you want to do you could do a lot worse than by an ex-cop ST1100 from the auctions. It will be well within your budget and an ideal bike to trek around Oz.

Captain Starfish had one for a while and I am sure he could give you some info.
                  Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Fat pat, mate that was spot on to what i wanted to hear. cheers for that.
                    yeh i'm used to hondas reg/rec and cam tensioner problems, (thanks to the firestorm). i didn't know they went to EFI, they stopped making them in 97. and i thought they had twin pipes? 110000k's is fucking awesome. atleast i know tey can go for a while if looked after. have you come across any other problems? how'd you go with the suspension?

the ST is not an option. i will sacrifice a little comfort to not look like a tool, sorry simon.
                    good times

Comment

lol, i reckon having an ST would be awesome. In white. With a fluro yellow vest.

Oh the games you could play with people's heads..
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                        lol, i reckon having an ST would be awesome. In white. With a fluro yellow vest.

Oh the games you could play with people's heads..
                        Captain Starfish did....
                        Originally posted by Viper
                        I'm probably fucking something up.
                        FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
                        Administrator

Comment

I'll bet no cager ever cut him up and played the "oh i didn't see you" shit...
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by muz View Post
                            Fat pat, mate that was spot on to what i wanted to hear. cheers for that.
                            yeh I'm used to Honda's reg/rec and cam tensioner problems, (thanks to the firestorm). i didn't know they went to EFI, they stopped making them in 97. and i thought they had twin pipes? 110000k's is fucking awesome. at least i know they can go for a while if looked after. have you come across any other problems? how'd you go with the suspension?

the ST is not an option. i will sacrifice a little comfort to not look like a tool, sorry Simon.
                            They still made them till early 99 I believe although maybe not imported here in Aus, I don't think they were EFI though as the 97/98 BB's were carbed . As far as I know they all had twin pipes too . As you know from experience CCT's and RR's seem to be one of the few Honda weaknesses .
                            They were always my dream bike when they came out and was what I was looking for when I got my BB in March last year but I only saw a couple which either had high km's and were very rough or too expensive for the km;s so I ended up getting the BB for $7500 and I'm happy although I reckon the 1kF is slightly more comfy
                            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                            Originally posted by Phildo
                            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                            Originally posted by filbert
                            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

No CBR1000F's were never EFI. That wasnt until the Blackbird, but they did make the CBR1000f until 1999. They allused various Models of Kehin VP 39mm CV Carbs. Later years were tuned for midrange.

The rattle is perfectly normal. The CCT works on Hyrdraulic Oil pressure and is noisy until oil is up to pressure and up to temperature. My CCT lasted 80,000k's I have never heard of anyone have a CCT actually fail and cause damage to an engine.

If you are chewing up speedo lugs it becuase you aren't seating them right when putting on the Sprocket cover. I have used 1 in 100,000ks.

The only electrical problems are the Regulator Rectifier. It has very poor cooling. Mine went after 70,000ks (But so do a lot of other bikes) The trick is you need to replace the battery at the same time as a bad battery will kill a R/R and vive versa. After markets ones are the way to go.

CBR1000F only ever came out with twin pipes. The aftermarket 4-2-1 does give you more topend at the expense of low power and fuel economy. Plus on long trips the noise gives ya the shits. If I could I'd go back to stock.

Mine has lasted 100,000ks of abuse carrying a bargearse and its ready for another 100,000.

Its the only bike that I know that will commute, hoon, cruise and tour all in comfort.

Go the Flying Sofa
                              You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

Working...
                              X