Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcyclist group call for improved road safety

On ya BillyWhizz,

The Motorcycle Riders Association of Western Australia has urged the State Government to look at ways to improve road safety for motorcyclists.

The group spoke out in the wake of the death of a 24-year-old man on the Goldfields on Saturday, taking to 33 the number of fatal accidents involving motorcyclists this year.

Police say the man's motorcycle and a semi-trailer collided on the Goldfields Highway.

The Association's President David Wright says the increase in the number of fatalities is a worrying trend.

"The year isn't over yet so hopefully we don't get any more, but obviously there's a lot more motorcyclist's on the road and there's a lot of people who come back to motorcycling that have sort of retired and have been out of it for a few years, " he said.

"We think there should be a bit more training for novice motorcyclists.
    "A lot of the other state governments, Victoria, Queensland do an awful lot of education for motorcyclists and training and also for other road users for keeping an eye out for motorcyclists basically.

"Over here the State Government doesn't seem to do anything at all in the way of advertising."

Grant Dorrington from the Road Safety Council disagrees.
    He says motorcyclists should be responsible for their own safety.
    "It's just very obvious, you get on a motorbike, they're very powerful, you drive the thing quicker than you should, you're just very vulnerable and unfortunately the road deaths with motorcyclists is an alarming statistic," he said.
    Motorcyclist group call for improved road safety - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Interesting to read Grant Dorrington's response basically giving up all responsibility much like the Tasmanian Government. It is a very dangerous stance to take and will alienate even further the Motorcycling Community.

And before BillyWhizz gets in to this:

Motorcycle Riders Association of Western Australia

Oh, so if you're obeying all the road rules and someone does the classic "Sorry, I didn't see you" trick at an intersection, then you're going too fast?

Bugger that, I've almost been hit doing 10kph in a carpark, in a big white stationwagon.
    If they won't look for that, then they won't look for a bloody bike.

Comment

*Shakes fist at dorro* what a tosspot.

Comment

"It's just very obvious, you get on a motorbike, they're very powerful, you drive the thing quicker than you should, you're just very vulnerable and unfortunately the road deaths with motorcyclists is an alarming statistic"

So we're all riders that ride ultra powerful bikes and speed everywhere? I have an ultra powerful bike... 250 powah!!! 27 kW and 24 Nm of torque!!! POWAH!!!!!!!!!! *cough*
        Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

fuck you Dorrington

Comment

Originally posted by dorro
            "It's just very obvious, I have a very small penis, it's not very powerful, I rub the thing quicker than I should, it's just very unfortunatel.

Comment

So.... what did the motorcyclist group suggest be done specifically?

If you want anything done with a government department or service you need to make sure when you ask them for something you're only asking for approval to enact the hard work you've already put into a solution plan, otherwise it's too much effort. All they want to do is plan their credit taking speech.
              This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

If riders are responsible for their own safety you would have a good argument for breaking the speed limit.

Comment

I think that comment says it all really.
                  How can the person in charge of the road safety council, declare he feels they have no responsibility to ensure the safety of a particular group of road users.

Dorrington has to go.
                  No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Not if he says the same about all other vehicles on the roads.
                    This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

My god! it's all so obvious now!!

No wonder I'm being sued by the driver that pulled out on me, it was all obviously my fault because i ride a motorcycle and it's my responsibility to ensure other road users don't clean me up!!

Based on that i'll just plead guilty now and pay out.

BULLSHIT!! FUCK YOU DORRINGTON!!!
                      I had a vision of my reality once... then turned my back and walked away.

Comment

"I'll find a gun and start a war..if I can find a cause worth fighting for!"
                        Just found one!
                        I am a rebel....
                        [http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][/url]

Comment

There is ZERO chance of anything useful every happening why Dorro is in there.

The guy is a complete fuckhead who is not intelligent enough to be able to put aside his personal dislike for motorbikes in order to do his job properly. Dont like bikes? Fine but in his position he should be doing the right thing, not letting his prejudices influence policy.

Comment

Originally posted by sathid View Post
                            I think that comment says it all really.
                            How can the person in charge of the road safety council, declare he feels they have no responsibility to ensure the safety of a particular group of road users.

Dorrington has to go.
                            That, right there. Is the perfect sentance.

Dorrington MUST go.

Comment

Okay guys...I am aware of the facts involved with the unfortunate accident on Saturday up here.

Sorry to say...but if Dorro is referring to this incident with his comments...he is 110% correct. The rider is completely at fault, absolutely could not be taken any other way. The truckie had no chance to avoid. It was an unfortunate, stupid, stupid act.

Sorry guys.
                              Originally posted by Viper
                              I'm probably fucking something up.
                              FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
                              Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X