Only in america for now. R1 recal for pollution control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only in america for now. R1 recal for pollution control

I have shamelessly pinched this from the R1 forum, I really hope our state doesn't go down the same track as California for a while.

thankyou R1-Forum.

Got a letter dated November 26, 2007 from Yamaha Motor Corp, USA, Cypress, California. today 11-30-07.

Our analysis of your YZFR1M-L Yamaha motorcycle with the VIN number xxxxx indicates that it was sold in California without being certified as meeting all California emissions standards for a new motor vehicle. Your motorcycle's emissions were certified to meet Federal emissions standards. However, due to the severe air quality issues of the State of California, motorcycles sold in California must meet more stringent standards than those sold in other states.

When your motorcycle was initially sold in California it was improperly registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles ("DMV"). It is possible that at some point the DMV may refuse to re-register your motorcycle (VC 4750(c)). As a result, the Attorney General's office entered into discussions with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. to determine if there was any way that Yamaha could help remedy this situation.

Because of its appreciation and concern for you as a Yamaha motorcycle owner, Yamaha has voluntarily agreed to undertake a program to assist you. The Attorney General's office appreciates the support offered by Yamaha to aid in this situation.

The terms of the program offered by Yamaha are attached to this letter. If you are interested in participating in this program, please contact Yamaha directly at the number and address indicated in the attachment.

Sincerely,

Customer Support Group
    Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA

Below is the attachment.

YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, U.S.A.
    KATELLA AVENUE
    CYPRESS, CALIFORNIA 90630-5101

800-962-7926

YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, U.S.A. CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE PROGRAM November 26, 2007

1. Contact Yamaha by calling 1-888-874-4876. Please be ready to provide your name, your address, your contact telephone number, your motorcycle model and model year, and your motorcycle's Vehicle ldentification Number ("'VIN").*

2. Yamaha will arrange to have a representative review your motorcycle in person.
    3. Yamaha will use a starting valuation for your motorcycle of the average between the high and low prices for your motorcycle as provided in www.nadaguides.com. Yamaha will then adjust its offer based upon the condition of your motorcycle, the mileage on your motorcycle and any accessories that you have added to your motorcycle.

4. Upon completion of the evaluation, Yamaha will provide you with a written price at which Yamaha will offer to purchase your motorcycle.

5. If you accept Yamaha's offer, Yamaha will work with you to obtain possession of the motorcycle in return for a check to you for the motorcycle. You will need to provide clear title to Yamaha for the motorcycle, so any payment to you will be reduced by any monies that have to be paid to finance companies or other entities that may have a lien on your motorcycle.

6. If you do not accept Yamaha's offer, then you may continue to use your motorcycle. You may, however, contact Yamaha, at a later date to determine if this Customer* Assistance Program is still available to you. If the Program is still available to you, then Yamaha will go through the same steps to determine a new offer to you at the time that you ask Yamaha for this second request.

7. Should you have any questions, please contact Yamaha at 1-888-874-4876.

Ok....with all that said and done.
    I purchased my bike brand new from San Jose Yamaha back in late 2000. I did a little research on the net and I found this information.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr121605.htm

http://www.caprep.com/1205034.htm

http://www.allbusiness.com/governmen.../862669-1.html

Now I know the reason I got this letter from Yamaha, I have one of the bikes from
    South Seas Cycle Exchange of Honolulu, HI.

What a pain in the ass. I wont be able to register the bike next year because it will get black listed with the DMV.

Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

ooh, nasty stuff. That truly sucks
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

this will end up having the same impact as the two-stroke off-road bikes had when they were canned in California...... the dealers over the border in Nevada did a roaring trade in them and people brought them home from there....... leave it rego'ed in another state, and you will be fine.....

Comment

Damn. Better make sure he also buys a DynoJet PCIIIUSBex (variant) to cater for their emission laws, too. What next.

Comment

I am led to believe that the fuel in Cal is also extremely shite. "Watered down fairy juice" was one description given by a pissed off SoCal resident.

Comment

1) Steal horsepower
            2) ????
            3) Profit

Comment

I thought It meant Yamaha's In general were pollution.

**dons flame suit & body armour****
              Farrider #41
              I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings,
              I'm a drunk, I go to parties.

Comment

Originally posted by arwon View Post
                I really hope our state doesn't go down the same track as California for a while.
                why? so we can look forward to gas guzzling monster trucks?
                So we can do as we please and let the next generation sort out the resulting mess?

I really hope our state doesnt clamp down on me pumping my raw sewerage down the street drain... It might cost me more to have the proper sewerage service connected.

Yamaha fucked up.... its their fault - not California's.
                You would be complaining if some SUV manufacturer sold a vehicle in AUS with open wheels that were great for collecting and mincing up motorcyclists. Its in the ADR for a reason.... if a vehicle was not compliant yet sold somehow - I'd be expecting a recall here too.

Comment

Originally posted by xphread View Post
                  why? so we can look forward to gas guzzling monster trucks?
                  So we can do as we please and let the next generation sort out the resulting mess?

I really hope our state doesnt clamp down on me pumping my raw sewerage down the street drain... It might cost me more to have the proper sewerage service connected.

Yamaha fucked up.... its their fault - not California's.
                  You would be complaining if some SUV manufacturer sold a vehicle in AUS with open wheels that were great for collecting and mincing up motorcyclists. Its in the ADR for a reason.... if a vehicle was not compliant yet sold somehow - I'd be expecting a recall here too.
                  I assume he was talking in general terms about the extreme fuel related regulations Cal has.

Comment

Wow that's insane. But you've got, what, 20 million people and their vehicles in an area the size of NSW. No wonder their air is fucked.

Comment

and heaps of bushfires, don't forget those.
                      This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

California has the worst laws going. They had catalytic converters in there cars some 10 years before they were thought of here. Their pollution laws would be drastically different to ours. And besides that, Graves = compliance.

Comment

California and more specifically LA suffer incredible polution not only as a result of the number of vehicles but as a result of the local geography. Surrounding mountains and weather conditions create an inversion layer which prevents the polution from being blown away. Anything they can do to reduce their emmissions is a good thing.
                          In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                          Its the little things that make the difference
                          Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                          If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Smug Alert! - 1002 - Watch - South Park Zone

Very Relevant.
                            This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Of course, another solution is to move out of California.

Comment

Working...
                              X