Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Insurance

hey peoples,

at the moment just weighing up my options with taking out health insurance and wondering how many of you guys have it yourselves? was thinking it should be standard with riding bikes but it's all about risk taking. obviously we're in the high risk category no matter how you look at it...

has anyone actually had to use theirs as yet/deal with health insurance?? (touch wood!)

obviously we never try and have an off but i cant help thinking that one of these days....
    Yes
    79.17%
    Yes, but only because I ride
    5.56%
    No
    15.28%
    sigpic

Originally posted by branchi@Mar 22 2005, 01:48 PM
    hey peoples,

at the moment just weighing up my options with taking out health insurance and wondering how many of you guys have it yourselves? was thinking it should be standard with riding bikes but it's all about risk taking. obviously we're in the high risk category no matter how you look at it... 

has anyone actually had to use theirs as yet/deal with health insurance?? (touch wood!)

obviously we never try and have an off but i cant help thinking that one of these days.... 
    [snapback]102152[/snapback]
    high risk category?! are you talking about health insurance or some sort of income protection insurance
    If only the young knew; If only the old could

Comment

yes

as much as i hate the whole approach to private health care and its necessity for older folks <over thirties> enforced by a capitalistic government, i do have it cause purley i wnt to abuse the system and get a few freebies off them

me hbf full cover

... no i have never had to use it in an emergency but i think it would be good to have if ya ride a bike.......but in saying this if ya splat you will get taken to hosp and admitted as a priority, ........ if ya can not afford it then make sure ya have ambulance cover, those litle flashing light taxis can cost a shit load

NAGA JOLOKIA CHILLI
      1,041,427 SHU
      go on you know ya wanna try one!

Comment

Originally posted by aaargh1@Mar 22 2005, 01:56 PM
        yes
        as much as i hate the whole approach to private health care and its necessity for older folks <over thirties> enforced by a capitalistic government, i do have it cause purley i wnt to abuse the system and get a few freebies off them

me hbf full cover

... no i have never had to use it in an emergency but i think it would be good to have if ya ride a bike.......but in saying this if ya splat you will get taken to hosp and admitted as a priority, ........ if ya can not afford it then make sure ya have ambulance cover, those litle flashing light taxis can cost a shit load
        [snapback]102160[/snapback]
        I have HBF full as well, they are all much the same, but offer little differences, if you need dental work I found that HBF is best.

yep makes sure you have ambulance cover, doesn&#39;t cost much, but goes a long way.

Some of the Nurses/Sisters might have a better idea of how things work, have been told though, if you get taken to the emergency ward don&#39;t mention your health insurance cover, sometimes it can cost you more in the long run to have it :o You don&#39;t have to declare it either.

Comment

yeh i got it, dont know what sort cause the wife handled it a fair while ago, got a feeling we would have got slugged extra on the medicare levy and since where having kids as well it paid to have private you do get a choice at least but they have you over a barrel no matter what you do. if you have an accident or need emergency care make sure you are a public patient though you get the same level of care with no bills.
          even though our health system is rooted its still better than what the yanks have got so i hope it doesnt end up like that over here
          Sincerity is the key to success if you can fake that you&#39;ve got it made.

Comment

I think if you have a family it is a good option, cause of the dental, chiropratic and other things like that your kids may need at some stage.

Comment

I have full hbf cover - they&#39;ve been pretty good, tho i havent needed to make any major claims.

I&#39;m also getting income protection insurance and death/ disability etc through my super fund. (mum is forcing me but i still think its a good idea, the income protection thing would hopefully come in handy if i ever needed it, touch wood )

sigpic

Comment

Income protection and lift insurance is pretty good and not _that_ expensive, well untill you have to pay the bill, but you get over it.

I went through a broker for this, who as a side note also rides, trust me its well worth doing, there are some really crapy policies that charge more than the good ones - and each excudes different things - I got a full comparison of schemes offered and got to choose what was most applicable.

My policy does cover motorcycle accidents (contrary to my mother&#39;s belief), just not any sustained due to "racing" i.e. barbagello or "drag racing" i.e. kwinanna, advanced riding courses however are debatable.

lizardqueen, I can hook u up with this guy if you like - highly recommended.

Health insurance wise, ambo, general dental, major dental and optical, though HBF. Very cheap, if your watching your penny&#39;s the Essential saver is better than nothing. Or atleast for a 4 eyes like me who reguallly goes to the dentist

(I do intend to upgrade this once I manage to grow a money tree)

I thought the income protection was more important, gotta pay for it all somehow.

Comment

Parants covered me full Medibank Priv cover, i am soon to take it up. We have spent a good 10-15k on my teeth so i think it is a really good idea, just in case.

Comment

Health Insurance important, can be a bit expensive but well worth it, my Dad over the past 2 years has had a lot of time in hospital, for one stint of 3 weeks in intensive care it cost over $70,000, so having private health has really helped them, I pay it myself also, about 600 a year or something like that, considering a priorty 1 ambulance call is I think close to 600 now its worth it in any event.
                    The kneebone&#39;s connected to the something, the something&#39;s connected to the red thing, the red thing&#39;s connected to my WRIST WATCH

Comment

HBF under my folks, will get some myself as i wont be covered by them soon.
                      Pretty Handy as i have new contacts every year and bits of dental done. never really used it for much else luckly
                      erno.

Comment

im covered under my folks HBF insurance aswell, but that will change soon, as the insurance company has discovered that im actually earning reasonable amounts of money.
                        they wont be seeing a cent of it thou until i hit 40 or 50.
                        ill be going ambo cover and insuring myself, just as i do with the bikes
                        Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

Speaking from personal experience from a fairly major accident... (read 8 months in the hospital system and still ongoing things 2 years later....)

I have basic private (HBF) cover.
                          It was very useful for the ambulance cover, but not used for anything else.

Reason: I suffered a spinal injury. Costs are about $1000 per day for the 3 months I was there as an in patient. (which was a fairly short stay in comparison to many others.) The remainder of the 5 ish months was an out-patient, commuting every day to the rehab hospital which would have cost a reasonable amount. It cost me ~$800 ambulance fee (which HBF covered fully), so in the end nothing...

As someone posted before - Emergency and serious accident cases are treated the same (same priority) whether you are private or public and under the public system it will cost you nothing (in most cases). Major emergency costs are covered fully under the public system. (read Intensive Care, Major injury/trauma and life threatening stuff.)

Private cover will benefit you for ancillary(?) (dental/optomitrist etc) elective stuff (eg joint replacement) and better conditions for things like non-emergency surgery where you can elect for a private room and choice of doctor etc.
                          There is no way private insurance companies will pay for the huge costs in emergency and you may have to pay for things that your private health insurance will not cover.

I think basic cover (especially ambulance cover for us riders ) is important, but up to you on whether you think you will need cover for minor/elective stuff.

Comment

I have top hospital and essentials, with HIF, ( that is the highest i can get).
                            I have been covered for about 7 yrs with HIF, but before that i was with HBF.

I find that although i fork out alot of money throughout the year for it, i have saved a hell of alot of money with having it.

It saved my pocket when i had my knee operated on back in 1996. I wouldn&#39;t be without private helath insurance, and particularly since i play alot of sports, it comes in handy for when i need physio.

I&#39;ll be organising my life insurance one day soon, since my family, ( particularly my sister) keeps nagging at me to do it....

just my 2cents worth but private health insurance is a very good thing to have.... But shop around first because they all offer you differents sorts of cover. I&#39;m very happy with HIF.

Comment

If I dont have private health it costs me a fortune in additional levies from our illustrious Treasurer. I have no choice.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

Working...
                              X