Back Protectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Protectors

After seeing DTM's nomination in the Clown Shoes I looked up his accident thread and seeing it made me decide to move the purchase of a back protectors up the priority chain of things.

I've done a search and read Hewie's novel on them (http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...rotectors-9119) and "think" I understand it all, but are now chasing either personal recommendations for people that use them or other useful info that will assist me in picking the right one for me.

My Icon jacket doesn't have a pouch for one, so i'll need a separate protector with straps to wear under the jacket.

thanks in advance for everyone's help.

(oh, and also which shops have a good range of them too, would be tops!)

I'm most impressed with the dainese range, and I haven't heard any complaints from a handful of ppl I know of that use them. I know davey/tim have icon half armour suit/back protector things, but it's more for a stunting purpose AFAIK, and are probably too bulky/not what you have in mind.

Have got an A* back protector, not terribly impressed with it for reasons I don't care to get into.

Comment

Every shop would be able to get back-protectors in for you, although very few stores actually carry them as stock.

I've got two, one being the Dainese Wave G2. This fits into the pocket that is in my Jacket, and has no straps. After a few times using it, I completely forgot I even had it on.

The second one I have is a Dainese Backspace 3. This I use for racing. Its got shoulder and waist straps to position it, as well as a really good protective rating.

I got these from Total Motorcycle Accessories in Vic Park.

The entire Dainese range can be found here..... dainese
      Search for motorcycle safety items.
      Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

One thing to watch for is that there is space in your jacket for a seperate protector. My Dainese jacket ended up being a little tight when I started wearing a seperate protector, annoyingly so, I had to remove my liner so my jacket fitted comfortably and found it was freezing thru winter riding without it.

I have a velocity gear back protector, its nice, comfortable (i forget it is there most the time). A bit too long for me, but thats what I get for being short.

Comment

just took another look at my icon jacket and there is a pouch inside on the back with a velcro opening and inside is a thin (3mm or so) piece of foam. can i replace that with a back protector, or is that something else?

Comment

the velcro will be there to remove said foam for whatever reason

you arent meant to put a back protector in there, but the idea with the back protectors is that because you are strapping it around you itll save you if/when your jacket rides up and remain more "connected" to you

even the GP guys in their 1 pieces wear a separate back protector

Comment

You may be able to however it depends on the back protector you get.....
              Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

You could just store treasure in there... or lollies..

Comment

cool. think i'll look to get a separate one for now. and even though i 'should' wear one every time i ride, it'd only be for decent rides, not the 40sec blap around to mates places, etc. so rather keep the leather jacket free for now.

Comment

Having had a look at the cost of back protectors, it's next on my list also... they seem pretty cheap from what I've seen? And really... in terms of breaking things, i'd think your back would be #1 in the list of "shit i don't want to break" ...
                    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

yep. after seeing DTM's crash and the lack of serious back injuries (which may or may not be because he was wearing one) made up my mind.

getting that instead of a Acument DG8.

Comment

Just a reminder. most vehicle accidents happen in a 5km radius of your home. (something like that)

My opinion on safety gear is if you spent the money on it you might as well wear it. but hey that just me
                        i also wear an icon jacket and would like to put a back protector in it. just got to find one that will fit

Comment

i bought a velocity gear back protector earlier this year and wear it each time i ride.
                          zero issues with comfort and according to the back protector thread it was one of the higher rated ones

plus it was ~100$ landed for the perth riding community

Comment

Cip - where did you buy it from, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

I've got a Joe rocket one, using the "Forcefield" technology. It's rated as Level 2 in Europe. Has something to di with transferring forces to the body. It's not metal though, but is very comfy and breathes well.
                              Last edited by Drach; 05-12-2007, 04:46 PM. Reason: me fail engrish? Thats umpossible

Comment

Working...
                              X