Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dodgy transfer? Advice

I purchased a motorbike privately.

the owner didnt have the rego papers and the rego disc wasn't on the bike as he said it was stolen he assured me that the vehicle was registered. I sent off my transfer papers and such. Never to hear back from the DPI.

I finally called them which they tell me that the vehicle has not been registered since may.

so now i have to bring proof of ownership and get the vehile re-registered.

One thing re-clicked after i thought about it he had a copy of the red form which the buyer needs to send in to get the transfer recognised. He said he bought the vehicle from a mate so possibly he isnt even the registered owner.

The revs check turned up nothing so i know the vehicle isnt stolen or has money owed on it.
    It seems a few things now that i think back dont quite fit.

He couldnt find all the vin numbers he got them off the other transfer form.
    he had the previous transfer form.
    he had the bank cheque made out to his girlfriend.
    the bike was 1k below market value.
    you know what they say if it is too good to be true.

the revs check turned up that it wasn't stolen or had money owing on it.

I find it hard that it is a rebirthed vehilice it is in mint stock condition. My mechanic look over it and apart from a few small adjustments the bike is in great condition.

anyone had any expereice with anything like this.

Anyway i spoke to the DPI. they said that the person i purchased it off wasn't the previous owner so i am guessing he bought it off his friend and didnt send the papers in so now what needs to happen is i have to go to the DPI with all my documentation and fill out a questionaire/stat dec then they spend 14 days investigating and then they will tell me if it is or isnt allowed to be registered then i have to take it over the pits.

Can i go after the seller in anyway for jerking me around like this.. Small claims tribunal?

filled out the form now i am told that it takes 28 days to process.

So i have an sweet bike sitting in my garage that i cant ride ;-(

not only that i now find out that the vehicle is an 04 model not an 05 as he had advertised.

this pisses me off as i have already spent close to 1k on this bike already including new performance parts and a service...

I am aware of my own stupidity of not making sure the bike was licenced but please point it out to me again as some of you will....
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious don't live at all...

tough luck dude, sometimes enthusiasm gets in the way of some of the other checks. to be honest, im sorry, but you will probably have to just suck it up and take it in.

one good thing is... you MAY pass the pits with all the good gear on the bike, ie: exhaust... make sure you take photos of the bike right after the examination right outside the DPI centre (with a timestamp, most phone-cameras can do this) and then you effectively have a permit for the goods.

Note: This is not a legal opinion, its merely my understanding and could be wrong, however, if you take a bike over the pits, and get it passed as is, you have a pretty convincing argument that it is all kosha should anything ever arise.
    The Twitter

Comment

I'd guess that now that your in this situation, I would just see what happens with DPI. If it can be registered then your fine and if not, then worry about that then.

Comment

Well its a hard lesson learnt. Personally I wouldnt have handed over the cash until I was 100% happy with what was going on.

I think you are right... it just sounds like the guy was really lazy and never did the paperwork when he bought it, but it does seem a little odd to have the cheque made out to his girlfriend and not be able to find the vin/engine number.
        If you can... you MUST!

Comment

The DPI are generally quite good so long as you do everything that your supposed to do right. To have bought the bike without papers or rego disc is a little bit stupid. If bike was built in 12/2004 it would comply 2005 making it a 2005 model. Maybe you could get a permit to ride it around while you wait for the paperwork to clear
          It will all turn out right in the end.
          It really is a case of buyer beware these days
          LIVE TO RIDE AND RIDE TO LIVE
          LET THOSE WHO RIDE DECIDE

'Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
          shouting 'FUCK YEAH ...WHAT A RIDE!'

REGRET NOTHING YOUVE DONE

Comment

Ah No what a piss off

The 04, 05 may be a minor thing. My 05 ZX636 is actually an 04 as it was manufactured in 2004, but it is an 05 model, it might be something like that.

Get you r stat dec in ASAP and get the paperwork started. Ryvern where are you??? Can you supply any real info??

Have you upgraded and do you have another bike to ride around on ???

Hope things work out quickly

Comment

The VIN should be ON the bike shouldn't it?

When I bought my bike, I made the seller sign a letter saying he (with full name and address) was the legitimate owner, that he owed no money on it, and that he was selling it to me for $X, and if for any reason it was repossessed due to his actions, that he would refund me in full. Then I had my mate witness it.

Don't know if it really was of any use, but at least it was evidence I had bought it.
              No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Dude, that's harsh, good luck with the DPI, can't really offer any advice, because I probably would have done the same thing as you.
                "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

Also, REVS check only clears it in WA, chop shops in other states wont show up on our REVS system. Bloody stupid system it is.

Comment

I've purchased an unlicensed car without any paper work before, and had similar problems to you. In the end the DPI made me sign a Stat Dec stating what had happened, and from there they registered it in my name straight away. They actually had special copies of blank Stat Decs under the counter at the DPI so it must happen all the time.

Comment

the compliance plates say 03/04 so it is defeintly an 04.

The vin/chassis number is on the compliance plate.

I have submitted my paper work i have to wait 28 days to see IF it can be registered then i have to take it over the pits.

28 days without a bike makes me a sad panda.

I am going to take him to the small claims tribunal to recover the costs of taking it over the pits and to see if i can get the difference in price for an 04-05 paid back to me.

you can only get a permit for 48 hours to move the vehicle to a place to get it licenced plus the permit costs about $15

Comment

If the vehicle isn't registered at the time of sale there's no need to notify DPI until you intend on registering it.

If you don't have any paperwork for ownership it has to go up for investigation and that can take anywhere upwards of a month. It is entirely worth your while to track down the previous owner for a new form or the original one if he still has it... This is assuming he came to own it through legitimate means.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikoy View Post
                          I am going to take him to the small claims tribunal to recover the costs of taking it over the pits and to see if i can get the difference in price for an 04-05 paid back to me.
                          Best case scenario, what will you achieve?

if you were talking thousands then yeah maybe, but if only a few hungy, is it really worth the effort?

Comment

Not worth the effort IMO. Now if judge judy was around shit yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryven View Post
                              If the vehicle isn't registered at the time of sale there's no need to notify DPI until you intend on registering it.

If you don't have any paperwork for ownership it has to go up for investigation and that can take anywhere upwards of a month. It is entirely worth your while to track down the previous owner for a new form or the original one if he still has it... This is assuming he came to own it through legitimate means.
                              I do have a receipt and i did fill out a transfer form which the dpi discarded when they found it was unregistered.

The thing is the seller works in the mines i can't get in contact with him. Also he isn't the last registed owner and the dpi wont tell me who that is. Other wise i would just track down the owner and go from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X