Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki Z750 or equivalent from other makes

Hi,

I'm looking at what bike I want to upgrade to, and I've been considering what I like about my bike, what I don't and what I want from the next one up.

So far apart from the looks (which I have to admit are growing on me a little) the Z750 is right up there in terms of what I'd expect to be easy to handle, good range without having to refill, nice overall size and good low end torque, from what I've been reading up on the interweb.

I was wondering if anyone that has a Z750 or has ridden one and moved on to another bike because they didn't like it could give their feedback on it. Any equivalent models to look out for from other makes, i.e. same sort of characteristics, would be much appreciated too.

So far I've looked at slightly lower capacity bikes of the semi-faired variety, namely:
    Kawasaki ER-6
    Suzuki GSR600
    Suzuki SV650
    Yamaha FZ6
    Honda Hornet 600

I can't legally ride one of these until October next year, but would most likely be looking at buying a 2k6/2k7 model bike new from the dealer.

Suggestions (apart from going to OPSM)? Feedback? Comments?
    Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

i liked the er6n.. had lots of low end grunt, but i think there have been complaints with tyres?

the sv650 looks aiite i reckon and i wish i could've given it a ride, do they still come out new?
    (226): Forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions.

Comment

street triple

edit:
      it looks bad arse, sounds awesome, is not "just another jap bike", over 100hp, etc.

if i had 12k in my pocket and was chasing a naked, i wouldn't hesitate

Its the "de-tuned" daytona 675 motor... but don't think "de-tuned" as in bad. it's down maybe 10hp, but has even more midrange torque... up from something like 66nm to 69nm...

Triumph - Street Triple
      Last edited by thro; 05-12-2007, 08:36 PM.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Moorby View Post
        i liked the er6n.. had lots of low end grunt, but i think there have been complaints with tyres?

the sv650 looks aiite i reckon and i wish i could've given it a ride, do they still come out new?
        No idea on the SV650, but I do know the ER-6F came out with crap tyres and an exhaust that sounded bad too. Apparently after investing some money, it is quite a nice bike - but you have to invest that money into it.

Originally posted by thro View Post
        street triple

edit:
        it looks bad arse, sounds awesome, is not "just another jap bike", over 100hp, etc.

if i had 12k in my pocket and was chasing a naked, i wouldn't hesitate

Its the "de-tuned" daytona 675 motor... but don't think "de-tuned" as in bad. it's down maybe 10hp, but has even more midrange torque... up from something like 66nm to 69nm...
        I had actually considered the Trumpy's, they do have some really nice bikes out there - and the triples are noted for their smoothness without losing power or torque. I'm looking more for faired/semi-faired over a naked though. I don't mind the "just another jap bike" stigma either, especially not in the case of the ER-6N or Z750 - I've only seen a few around (probably coz only the visually impaired buy them) so it's not really the case of "wow, there goes another one" like the CBR600's.

EDIT: *noticed thro's and moorby's bikes* No offence intended, but there are a lot of them out there.
        Last edited by Tenchi; 05-12-2007, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Hmmm as far as "investing money" in an exhaust and tyres... really... you'll change the tyres after <10,000km on any bike when they wear out, and the exhaust is usually first on the list of "real" changes People who complain about OEM tyres are just whinging, imho...they only come into play for the first 10,000km or less (especially if you fork out to replace them before they wear out) - during which you're still learning the bike anyway...

Hmm... semi faired... i'd add the SV1000, CB900 and VTR1000.

Yes they're thous (well... cb900 isn't), but "lower power" thous.

If you're concerned about tank range, that would mean you're likely to do trips on it? The bigger capacity bikes won't be so "buzzy"...

The CB900 seems to pull about the same as my bike... bit more low down, bit less up top... its by no means "scary" imho, and is comfy and easy to ride...

If you just want a screen to deflect some of the wind (semi faired?) then bikes like the SV, CB, Street Triple all have accessories/aftermarket stuff to cater for that... which would open up your options a bit - the "semi faired" category is a bit small....

Maybe somewhat off your line of thinking, but considered a viffer?
          Last edited by thro; 05-12-2007, 08:57 PM.
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

z 750 or the fz 6.

played around on a z750 a couple of times...
            good for learning .... stuff..
            z750 = fun.

never tried a street triple.

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
              Hmmm as far as "investing money" in an exhaust and tyres... really... you'll change the tyres after <10,000km on any bike when they wear out, and the exhaust is usually first on the list of "real" changes

Hmm... semi faired... i'd add the SV1000, CB900 and VTR1000.

Yes they're thous (well... cb900 isn't), but "lower power" thous.

If you're concerned about tank range, that would mean you're likely to do trips on it? The bigger capacity bikes won't be so "buzzy"...

The CB900 seems to pull about the same as my bike... bit more low down, bit less up top... its by no means "scary" imho, and is comfy and easy to ride...

If you just want a screen to deflect some of the wind (semi faired?) then bikes like the SV, CB, Street Triple all have accessories/aftermarket stuff to cater for that... which would open up your options a bit - the "semi faired" category is a bit small....
              I'm aware that the first things to be swapped out are usually the exhaust and tyres, but for that first 10,000 kms aren't going to be a lot of fun if the rubber keeping me on the road isn't keeping me on the road, if you get my drift.

I have considered the litre bikes as well, but not so much the lower power with even pull all the way through the rev range. My main concern is that as engine capacity increases, the weight also increases and in some cases the maneuverability decreases. I don't imagine the ST1100 would be as easy to lane split or as much fun to ride as a lighter, more maneuverable bike. Litre bikes from my understanding also chew up a bit more fuel; that being said apparently the ZZR600 gets horrible fuel economy, so it comes down to the engine design and technology as well. The 650-750cc range just seemed to match my idea of what would be "enough" power and torque without sacrificing maneuverability rather nicely, so I'm starting there and working my way up. If I had to make the choice, I would sacrifice power over maneuverability - it's just the sort of person I am.

I would be doing some long trips on it, but on average my trips would be between 25 and 50 km, cruising at 80-110 km/h for most of it. I'm riding a 250 right now so that sounds like a lawnmower dying at 110 km/h; the buzzing doesn't bother me too much but I have considered it given my dad rides a VT750C that is doing about 3500 rpm at 100 km/h in top gear, and it is a much nicer sound than the 4 stroke lawnmower.

CB900 - Honda Hornet 900? My instructor had one of those. Nice bike, although I couldn't see myself riding one.

Semi-faired and faired basically because I like the look I like faired better but I have minor damage to the fairing on my current bike, and the costs of replacing it are just insanity (I know about Q-bond, before you suggest that). Semi-faired seems to be a nice compromise between avoiding a naked and not getting too worried about the fairing.

Comment

gsxr 750 ftw.

Comment

you can just crash the fairings off.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                    gsxr 750 ftw.

You make me cry sometimes Lee... you really do... Streetfighter gixxer hmmm??

Comment

Originally posted by Tenchi View Post
                      Hi,

I'm looking at what bike I want to upgrade to, and I've been considering what I like about my bike, what I don't and what I want from the next one up.

So far apart from the looks (which I have to admit are growing on me a little) the Z750 is right up there in terms of what I'd expect to be easy to handle, good range without having to refill, nice overall size and good low end torque, from what I've been reading up on the interweb.
                      As a current owner of the latest Z750 since July, I can only back up the claims you have listed. Yes its easy to handle, good economy, perfect size (for me), more torque than a 600.

Other characteristics which I could add to the list are the streetfighter looks straight from the factory (if u'r into that sort of bike), hardly any vibration to speak of, sweet shifting gearbox, comfortable riding position and great value for money (got mine for $10500 on the road).

But the thing I like the most is the fact that you can customise the bike to make it unique. I stand corrected with my next statement, but Ive been to a couple of large organised rides including the charity ride, and I didnt see another Z750 around. Its nice to own a bike thats NOT the norm.

Comment

2c... i wouldn't be *too* worried about the weight.

Not sure what a cb900 weighs, but i'm sure it's probably about 40kg heavier than my 600rr. I had no real complaints with it...

sure, you're not going to kill the twisties with it against a sports bike, but then, none of the bikes you've been listing will...

Comment

Tenchi, go the street triple with the optional flyscreen and visor.
                          Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                            if you need help getting them off, ill do some stoppies for you
                            If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

actually, you dont get your license till october? Heres my advice: dont buy till then/ just before then
                              If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Working...
                              X