Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the ZX12R

Hi Guys,

i haven't been on here much lately but have been lurking....

i'm looking in a couple months once i've settled into the house better to upgrade my bike, and from research i think i'm set on a kwaka ZX12R. just wondering from people personal experience, how people find them? i want it for a weekend and a couple times to work and back bike and to get down to the wednesday night drags. maybe a track day.

what problems have you found with them, and is there anything i should look at changing soon after i get one to avoid troubles down the line?
    :awesome:

Just get one

Strap the front at the drags and away you go
    In Kazakhstan if you want sugar in your coffee you ask for Kunt

Comment

Hey there,

I bought one about 3 weeks ago. Great bike, very powerful, handles well. Its a big bike (210 kg's i think) so doing u-turns can be a bit of a mission. On a windy day you cannot really feel it as the bike is very stable because of its weight. Good and comfortable riding position, seat as well.

So far nothing to complain about ^_^
      Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth!!
      Turning the taps off when you brush your teeth, can save up to 5 liters a minute!

Comment

thats pretty much what i have been told!

keep the thoughts coming folks.

Comment

I remember reading something about a year ago from one of the british bike mags where the punted all the sports bikes around a BIG track back to back in the UK. The ZX12 came out on top. Obviously the track had very high speed sections, but it goes to show it can still go very well round a track too. I reckon they're sweet but personally I'd buy a Busa.... I love them.... and you can buy brand new 07 runouts dirt cheap now too.
          Originally posted by kyliejane
          benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
          Originally posted by harns
          Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

i just can't get into the Busa, i just don't like them..... i'll probably get peoples back up about it but they aren't the bike for me...

Comment

Absolutely brilliant bike. Other half has just sold his (he cried) only because he is starting to have trouble with his back and has changed to a Bandit 1250S.

He said it was the best bike he had owned. He used to throw it around the track, but didn't really like commuting on it, Chief Wiggum commutes on his daily (when in town).

Comment

Ive had a ride on a mates and yeah tis comfy. Lotsa guts too. Dont get out of second much around the city though.
                In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                Its the little things that make the difference
                Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

9zero, aka Steve, rides one. He fell over with his recently, but is out walking the Bibbulman until mid january. I know that he repaired most of it for about $700, so it wasn't expensive to repair when he lowsided it.

When the two of us were side by side, I might as well have been standing still when he opened the throttle - really is a quick bike. He LOVES it, and had been dying to get one for ages (previously rode a ZX-10R from memory). Big bike, as someone else mentioned. Steve's comment on the power is, "you have to be careful taking off... otherwise you pull a power wheelie without even trying."
                  Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

Originally posted by Aphex View Post
                    Ive had a ride on a mates and yeah tis comfy. Lotsa guts too. Dont get out of second much around the city though.
                    which makes for good lazy riding .

pillion seat isnt as forgiving as a hayabusa,blackbird or new 14. which can be a good thing.

test ride it yourself and get a mechanic to go over it for you before you buy.

similar thread.
                    http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...d-zx12r-44835/

Comment

where do i start?

downsides first i guess,

pillion seat aint that comfy (though kali didnt mind to much)
                      fuel usage can be a little higher (it is a 1200 with a little more weight), mine averages around 6.5L for 100k's

the bonuses well

mines done 50,000 in the last 1.5years and hasnt put a foot wrong so to speak
                      handles well (the left hand fin thing is worn a little hehe)
                      power wheelies with ease (though im crap at it)
                      brakes are awesome (even with my lard arse on it, it can still do stoppies)
                      1000k days are suprsingly easy
                      cruises at ANY speed comfortable (ie 50k's an hour or at 250 all day)
                      the power is intoxicating
                      comes on at about 4000 and then just builds till about 8000 then it takes off
                      very very easy bike to ride (ie not twitchy, very very stable)
                      can be ridden fast with pillion on the back hehe

personally they are an awesome bike the only negative thing i heard was the early 12's had dodgy clutch baskets but that was fixed in 02 i think. keep in mind when you buy one they were getting sold new for 15990 on road towards the end (what i got mine for) so the one in the quokka this week for 15600 is a bit much imho

oh yeah if you so desire they even keep running when the water is at the seat in river crossings (long story lol)

ive just got back recently from a 16000k road trip on mine which ranged from the nullabor straight to 48 degrees to sub zero and some unbelievable twisties (alpine roads) and the whole time it behaved flawesly

can you tell i like em?
                      Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

I know a guy who wants to sell his 2005 zx12r, i think its got 14,000km on the clock, Micron exhaust and some other extras. Think he is chasing around 13$K. Let me know
                        Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth!!
                        Turning the taps off when you brush your teeth, can save up to 5 liters a minute!

Comment

oh yeah and another annoying thing too is 05 model and a 06 model are technically exactly the same (pretty sure production ceased in december 05 or january 06)

though compliance or whatever can call em an 06 (mines a 12/05 build but is called an 06)
                          Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
                            Absolutely brilliant bike. Other half has just sold his (he cried) only because he is starting to have trouble with his back and has changed to a Bandit 1250S.

He said it was the best bike he had owned. He used to throw it around the track, but didn't really like commuting on it, Chief Wiggum commutes on his daily (when in town).

I like this bike... it's very purdy! The fatal flaw is that the seat is too wide and the bike is too tall or I'm too damn short to be able to reach the ground So I have this gorgeous bike in the garage and cannot ride it... As such I'm not really in a position to gave any real comments on it! Except Tim will be back at Christmas so until then I guess I will continue just starting it occasionally

Comment

I wouldn't call 6.5L/100km thirsty Falcore. I used to average 7 on the VFR.

They're a comfy bike from the ones I've sat on, but I'm a bit more partial to a blackbird at the moment.

I doubt you'll find anything significantly disturbing on the modern big bore tourers, they're designed to rack up the k's on just about every continent with sealed roads, and apparently those with roads under water.

Comment

Working...
                              X