Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decisions Decisions....

Hi Guys -

New to the forum (this is my first post)...

I've got a real tough decision to make and wouldn't mind some advice from any other old farts like me who are getting back into biking after a few years hiatus...

I've decided to buy myself a chrissie pressie this year, in the form of a new bike and I'm finding it REAL hard to decide which one to get.

I've narrowed it down to either the 08 ZX-14 (special edn colours) or the 08 R1 (lerrve that black one)...

My last bike was a 2001 R1 and I loved it to bits - but that was 7 years, 2 kids and about 30 kilos ago *sigh*.. I'm not sure the wrists or arse could take the pounding (not that my arse liked taking poundings even when I was a young man...)

The ZX has fantastic ergos (I rode one yesterday), but it's got the same fat sludgy front end that all those big heavy bikes have... I had a few ZZR-1100's in my younger years (before all the hyperbikes came out) and I loved the power - but I just love the sharpness and light weight and confidence that the small bikes provide..

Any other old fuggers out there gone through the same thing? I'm not really that old (37), but all of a sudden things like comfy seats and riding position are more appealing to me..... That ZX14 had some serious power, but geeze does the front end dive under brakes......

Thanks guys.

Welcome to the circus

Enjoy the show

Im sure someone will point you in the right direction. Im not of your vintage but an old back injury makes riding super sports or the like a little uncomfy after a while so I understand your dilemma. Its more about comfort these days.

What about a new Busa?
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Originally posted by kryten2001 View Post
      words
      Did you have a look at the zx-12? Similar styling, big power. A bit sportier

or a busa, still a big bus though ( I love 'em)

Comment

Originally posted by Aphex View Post
        What about a new Busa?
        I actually wouldn't even have considered the ZX14, other than I just love its looks..... I was R1 all the way before I rode the 14 yesterday...

Sitting on the R1 nowadays I feel more like an old cashed up wannabee rather than the younger fast man I once was!.. That's the appeal of the 14, it seems to fit..

But the R1 is just so more more exciting, ya know?

I got into bikes way back in 91 and have had so many since then it's not funny.... ZZR250, CBR600, ZZR-1100, ZX9-R, ZZR1100 (again), ZX7-R and ANOTHER ZZR-1100 (crashed this one real bad), then a year off before I got the R1, then got married and had a couple of kids - now the wife's finally allowed me to buy another (well it was either that or an R8 - so she probably figured the bike was cheaper - haha)...

Although I had so many big heavy bikes before, the two I loved the most were the ZX7 and the R1.... So maybe another R1 it is....

Comment

if you liked the zzr11, you will like the zx14.

Comment

my arse liked taking poundings

Comment

Easy brougham (sir) He's new.
              In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
              Its the little things that make the difference
              Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
              If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

gotta love "selective" quoting

Comment

Originally posted by Aphex View Post
                  Easy brougham (sir) He's new.
                  That's OK, Brougham's from Carlisle. Probably just over the wrong side of the train tracks.

Comment

That's OK, he's from Carlisle. Probably just over the wrong side of the train tracks.

vic park boy?

Comment

Originally posted by Brougham View Post

vic park boy?
                      Yeah. But it's OK I don't own a single spraycan.

Comment

Yeah. But it's OK I don't own a single spraycan.
                        no, you just steal em!

Comment

anyways, back on topic - love the R1's. if i could've afforded the extra moolah, that's what i'd be riding now.

Comment

vic park boy?
                            Don't make us gang up on you

Comment

anyways, back on topic - love the R1's. if i could've afforded the extra moolah, that's what i'd be riding now.
                              Yeah I'm swaying that way.. Might have to get my ass back to the bike shop tomorrow... Insurance is quite reasonable.. $615/year I was quoted.

Comment

Working...
                              X