Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wire Rope Barriers Needed on Country Roads (UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Rope Barriers Needed on Country Roads (UK)

An interesting article found at MCN today:

"Wire rope needed on rural roads" - Motorcycle News - MCN

Article quoted:

"Wire rope needed on rural roads"

By Steve Farrell
    Politics & the law
    10 December 2007 17:25

Single-carriageway rural roads should have wire barriers in the middle despite the danger to riders, Government has been told.
    The Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) says the move would reduce road deaths, but admits it does not know what the effect would be for motorcyclist casualties.
    Motorcyclists in New Zealand are campaigning for the removal of wire barriers – nicknamed “cheese cutters” – after a 21-year-old rider was sliced in two in October.
    They consist of wire ropes suspended between exposed metal posts.
    The IAM Motoring Trust has urged the Government to copy Sweden and the Netherlands, where the barriers have been introduced to remove the risk of head-on collisions.
    The IAM rated roads across the UK using a star system and found rural single-carriageway roads scored only two stars out of a maximum four.
    The Trust told Government wire central barriers could help improve the roads’ rating.
    IAM director Neil Greig said: “We’re recommending them as one possible solution to how we upgrade our roads from two-star to three-star to four-star.”
    He said our rural roads should be “re-engineered” into “two-plus-one” roads – three-lane roads with one lane for traffic in one direction and two for the other.
    The side with the extra lane alternates so that traffic in both directions has “overtaking opportunities”.
    See the IAM’s road star rating report here.
    Having a long think about it, I would not support a measure here in Western Australia considering the state of our rural roads. I can understand where they are coming from in regards to preventing vehicles from traversing to the wrong side of the road. However I have been required to move quickly to the wrong side of the road in numerous occasions where evasive action had been required on rural roads, also I would not wish to have to take evasive action onto the shoulder of our rural roads are the shoulder is regularly full of washouts, ruts and soft sand that would almost certainly result in an accident of some sort.

It is hard to quantify 'Near Misses' as you dont report them, and it is very easy to quantify crashes as they are always reported.

I really sometimes wonder if the people making these decisions actually drive at all ?

"The Institute of Advanced Motorists"

What a joke those cockheads are.

At the very least they could put plastic sheaths over the cable and hard styrofoam over the posts but even that is too hard apparently.

Comment

I'd be thinking most accidents on our country roads involve trees or animals, not other vehicles.

My last trip to the country, which was last week, I probably saw one car every ten minutes, once I'd gotten past Northam. I'm heading out again tomorrow. I remember as a kid, counting all the cars I went past on the 2.5 hour trip home, leaving perth at about 6am. From midland, I counted something like 92 cars the entire trip.
      I wont bother trying to count trees

I don't think this would be appropriate on our roads. There are a lot of things they could do (such as improving road surface, and widening lanes) that would have a far greater effect, for quite possibly less money.
      Not to mention the large proportion of semis and road trains on our roads.

The UK countryside would be somewhat different (more populated, and less expansive).
      No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

[quote=MuNches;690097]
        It is hard to quantify 'Near Misses' as you dont report them, and it is very easy to quantify crashes as they are always reported.
        quote]

Leave that idea with me.....
        Real Men Ride Nakid
        http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

i agree with Munches. Even though I have a 4x4 with a large h/duty bull bar, whenever possible I will swerve to avoid hitting a roo as I don't want to kill them. this can often mean going over the white line if there's no oncoming traffic.

if they put the barriers up, people only have two choice - slam on the brakes and hope like buggery they can stop in time and that no one is close enough to ram them up the tail pipe, or hit the animal, and unless they're in a big car with a bull bar, it's gonna screw up the car pretty badly (and being "rural" means no help close at hand).

not a good plan IMO

Comment

Not to mention that 99% of the time when a driver becomes inattentive and strays onto the centre line, nothing at all happens. They correct and keep driving.

With these barriers, you will see a huge increase in the number of accidents due purely to people hitting the barriers.

It's like how red light cameras have caused increased numbers of rear-end collisions due to people slamming on brakes to stop when they could easily, safely and legally go through the intersection on the amber, as is intended.

In summary: giving people extra things to hit isn't going to help matters.
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

i think that in addition to putting the rumble strips on the outside white lines, they should put them on the middle white lines - that would 'wake' up drivers drifting off without causing damage.

Comment

[quote=barfridge;690168]Not to mention that 99% of the time when a driver becomes inattentive and strays onto the centre line, nothing at all happens. They correct and keep driving.

With these barriers, you will see a huge increase in the number of accidents due purely to people hitting the barriers.
                [quote]

You say that like we should care! That's the price for not paying attention. If they do that then a fine for negligent driving should also be given. Then they might pay attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Brougham View Post
                  i think that in addition to putting the rumble strips on the outside white lines, they should put them on the middle white lines - that would 'wake' up drivers drifting off without causing damage.
                  Totally agree...

First time I ever saw these was in the country roads in the US (and on some of the highways). These things would wake up even the passengers sleeping in the car, so they're a MUCH better option.

Comment

There seems to be a few people who are concerned that these morons that drift off or aren't paying attention shouldn't have damage caused to their car. Wakeup, when was the last time you drifted off line or nodded off on your bike or do you only do that in your car???? The police could actually enforce some of these laws we already have i.e. mobile phones while driving, texting while driving etc. rather than accepting defeat and putting everyone on a slot car track.

Comment

What a joke. They'll cause more problems than they solve. Car breaks down where does one go? Some one gets caught out on a dodgey over taking manourver and gets left stranded on the wrong side of the road. Tree or other debris on the road what happens? Something falls from a truck infront etc etc etc... These people are either closed minded lemmings or complete and utter idiots.
                      In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                      Its the little things that make the difference
                      Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                      If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Originally posted by CT90 View Post
                        There seems to be a few people who are concerned that these morons that drift off or aren't paying attention shouldn't have damage caused to their car. Wakeup, when was the last time you drifted off line or nodded off on your bike or do you only do that in your car???? The police could actually enforce some of these laws we already have i.e. mobile phones while driving, texting while driving etc. rather than accepting defeat and putting everyone on a slot car track.
                        You seem to be viewing the issue with a very limited perspective...

To begin with, some people get very nervous when near these kinds of barriers (realise that there is no island) and will drive very slow. When you have a long drive, this can be irritating.

Plus, we would be footing the bill for repairs. The road would be potentially out of service for some time after an accident (many of these are the only real access to certain areas.) Yes this can happen already, but why make the problem worse, just to "teach people a lesson"

Maybe try actually THINKING about the issue next time.

Have you ever BEEN on one of our country roads?
                        No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Originally posted by CT90 View Post
                          You say that like we should care! That's the price for not paying attention. If they do that then a fine for negligent driving should also be given. Then they might pay attention.
                          hay, lets line the side of all roads with big frickin lasers. And whenever anybody veers of course we should shoot them, pew pew!

And maybe line some sections with giant razor blades, just for variety.
                          Last edited by Barfridge; 11-12-2007, 01:47 PM.
                          For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                          For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by sathid View Post
                            You seem to be viewing the issue with a very limited perspective...

Maybe try actually THINKING about the issue next time.

Have you ever BEEN on one of our country roads?

Have you ever tried reading my posts. Where did I say it was a good thing? All I am saying is that the people on here's primary concern seems to be damage to peoples cars. If you actually thought about it for more than 1 minute you would know that these so called lapses in concentration can have very serious consequences. For example car vs bike: no contest. If every one concentrated as much as your average motorcyclist then the roads would be a much safer place for everyone and these ridiculous measures wouldn't be required. I think I know what a country road is all about. And if you had travelled you would notice that these measures are allready in use in certain parts Australia (usually blackspots around Sydney) to avoid head on collisions.

Comment

No ones worried about damage to cars.

Pehaps someone else needs to read a little better hmm?
                              In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                              Its the little things that make the difference
                              Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                              If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X