QLD motorcycle licensing laws to be overhauled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QLD motorcycle licensing laws to be overhauled

Cut and pasted from a very useful motorcycle resource (particularly if you are into motorycle clubs of the organised crime variety ) Ozbiker - QLD motorcycle licensing laws to be overhauled

Queensland will introduce new motorcycle licensing laws, after rider inexperience was identified as a contributor to the road toll.
    On July 1, the government will introduce a graduated licensing system for all new riders, similar to that in place for new drivers.
    Novice riders will have to comply with tougher conditions, and progress through learner and provisional licences before being given an open licence.
    The government will also identify holders of dormant licences, to address the growing number of baby boomer riders who have not had recent experience on the roads.
    Transport Minister John Mickel said statistics showed the inexperience of riders in all age groups was adding to the state's road toll.
    So far this year there have been 72 motorbike rider and pillion fatalities, compared to 52 in the same period last year.
    "We are always looking at ways to improve the training motorbike riders receive," Mr Mickel said.
    "We will also investigate options for conducting random on-site audits to ensure training continues to be of a high standard."
    The overhaul comes in response to the TravelSafe parliamentary committee's report into the licensing system.

Of the 24 recommendations made in the report, the government will support 10, partially support three, and will investigate seven.

Below are some of the recommendations from the report:

20. That Queensland Transport, in consultation with stakeholders, examine the benefits and costs of offering financial incentives to encourage the surrender of dormant motorcycle licences and/or charging a separate fee to renew motorcycle licences in addition to the renewal fees for car licences.

21. That the Police Powers and Responsibilities Act 2000 be amended by removing s58 (3) and (4) so that all drivers in Queensland will be required to produce their rider or driver licences for immediate inspection when requested by police.

19. That Queensland Transport review the 250mL(cc) engine capacity restriction for RE class licence holders in Queensland and consider replacing it with a scheme similar to the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme administered by the New South Wales Roads and Traffic Authority.

Full report:
    http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/committees/documents/TSAFE/reports/TSR047Conclusions.pdf
    Last edited by Lolly; 12-12-2007, 12:53 PM.

I wonder how they will identify 'dormant' licenses? I guess people who haven't had a motorcycle registered in their name for x amount of years?

Comment

Its about time they do something about the training system in QLD. The media over here are very biased against bike riders at the moment. And its the media that directs public opinions so it really doesnt help the cause much.

Police have been doing blitz's on the good roads around Gold Coast too. And pulling all the bikes over for license checks if they cant catch them speeding.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
        I wonder how they will identify 'dormant' licenses? I guess people who haven't had a motorcycle registered in their name for x amount of years?
        I would assume so, but that is flawed. I have never had a vehicle (bike or car) registered in my name. It would make sense to cross with insurance compainies, but that would imply that someone has been named as a rider explicitly.

Then again, if we are all hoons, there should be a collection of traffic offences to reference i.e. if you havent been done for something in the last 3 years, you obviously havent been riding

Comment

Amazing how since the introduction of Q-Ride the fatalities have increased.

And lets not consider the state of queensland roads - other than the Pacific Motorway I dont think there are any roads worthy of the name in the whole state.

But neither of these have anything to do with the motorcycle problem so I guess Im off topic...

Comment

I think the government should help put some funding into community projects like helping to setup a support group similar to PSB in high fatality regions. The wealth of knowledge and support from PSB group rides helps to train inexperienced riders. Government funds would go towards web hosting, publicity methods, and funding for MRA. (all things controlled that can be controlled by the gov to ensure money is not being embezzled)

Comment

I don't think it's all bad. I know I wanted so badly to get a bigger bike only months after getting my 250. For me it was definately a good thing I didn't.

We aren't all born riders. I think this could be one step that could actually save lives. They aren't really talking about penalising riders. I can't see a problem at all with points 19-21 listed
              im a holding, stroking, loving machine...also spanking

Comment

As a person who got their licence using the Qride program I can only agree that this part certainly needs an overhaul!

You can (read into this what you will) be handed an open bike licence and told to go for it after less than ten hours on a bike, probably less than two of those actually on a road. Also the fact that this course is for the most part run by the bike shops I personally see a little bit of a conflict of interests.

For a cautious person this isn't such a bad thing, but for a large number of people it means that they have got no experience and have a very powerful bike! No idea of road positioning or defensive driving skills!

Sure I'm not a bad rider now, thanks to the AHG guys, lots of practice and having a bike helps a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                  What VicRoads did is they sent out a brochure or some such about dormant licence holders with the drivers licence renewal. Not sure whether its every 5 years like here but its a start.

Comment

License renewal can be anywhere up to 5 years in QLD, depending on how long you have paid for.

At least the state government has sent out some literature to all qld motorcycle license holders previously. Unfortunatly these days literature doesnt count for crap ... I got the pamflete sent to me a couple of months after my accident and even i skimmed through it and then threw it out. They need to do something more active ... subsidising advanced rider days would be good. Off course with the dramatically increased death toll in all states this year, this should be looked at by all state governments.

Comment

Originally posted by Lolly View Post
                      20. That Queensland Transport, in consultation with stakeholders, examine the benefits and costs of offering financial incentives to encourage the surrender of dormant motorcycle licences and/or charging a separate fee to renew motorcycle licences in addition to the renewal fees for car licences.
                      Fuck that, double the licensing cost's?? sounds similar to the vic "bike safety" tax

Comment

Vic's Bike safety tax is actually the tax that allows them to park on the footpaths. Id pay the tax to be able to park on the footpath as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
                          Vic's Bike safety tax is actually the tax that allows them to park on the footpaths. Id pay the tax to be able to park on the footpath as well.
                          Family in Victoria told me that the bike tax paid for these signs, and that was about it.

Comment

park on the footpath ftw!

no matter what the do for dormant licenses it wont be enough or it will suck... but totally agree with Q-ride needing a serious revamp, everyone I know thats done it says its crap, might as well hand out an R class on a wheaties packet.

Comment

Had another rider die last night on the Gold Coast. I dont know all the details but seems to me like over confidence in the wet. Must have been his time as he slid into a parked car and died from his injuries.

Still it does point to the fact that they need to get riders more training and all riders need to pull their head in. Seen only 1 rider in my week here on the goldie that has worn more than a helmet in the way of safety gear. And its been raining all week ... not very smart.

Comment

Working...
                              X