Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: R6 vs. CBR600RR, Better aging and engine life *?*

Hey all ,

I'm looking around for my first big bike at the moment and am highly attracted to the R6's and the CBR600RR's .

I expect to be holding onto it for quite some years and plan to be using it for a fair bit of my weekly commuting. As such I don't want to be afraid of putting a fair few k's on the clock. I was wondering which of the two (R6 / CBR600RR) aged more gracefully and had the more forgiving engine life. Also is there any particular years I should avoid (I was originally looking for around '01-'02 but am finding some nice '98's in great nick with REALLY low kms)?

Thanks heaps guys !
    Last edited by taboo_; 13-12-2007, 10:49 AM.
    -taboo_

Into Dark Souls 2? Listen to our podcast - The Dark Souls Two.

now just sit back and wait for this thread to grow

Comment

600RR wasn't around til '04 it think (?) I don't think there is gonna be much difference between the two. Though alot of guys use older cbr600s as stuntas because of the rock solid engine.
      Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by taboo_ View Post
        R6 / 900RR

if you did mean 900 I'd be going the larger engine personally. won't be revving so high all the time so in theory should last longer. if it was the 2 600's I'd be more inclined to go for the honda.
        Originally posted by kyliejane
        benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
        Originally posted by harns
        Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Fixed kwakas. I did mean 600, I would like to go for 900 but I've been having a LOT of internal conflict and decided I just don't need it (I only weight 60kg after all). I think I would just feel a little too cautious on anything bigger than 750cc.

Originally posted by kwakas View Post
          I'd be more inclined to go for the honda.
          In any case, can you back up your stance or is it just a personal preference?
          -taboo_

Comment

Originally posted by T_B R1 View Post
            600RR wasn't around til '04 it think (?)
            Yeppers... I cocked up, you are dead right (well I actually think it was '03) and in anycase you pointed out my mistake.

I have actually been looking at CBR900RR's and comparing them to R6's and as I have been looking at A LOT of bikes over ther past couple days my mind has obviousely turned to mush due to their beauty.

So essentially this topic is a bit nullified. Oh and Ignore my last post, I decided I would make do with a 900cc and in the end it was 1000cc+ that I am avoiding. Don't I feel like a right dick .

if you did mean 900 I'd be going the larger engine personally. won't be revving so high all the time so in theory should last longer
            In anycase kwakas did make a valid point, so that will give me something to think about.
            -taboo_

Comment

You weigh 60kg?? scooter maybe?

Comment

.. you know there's a 900RR for sale on here I presume ..
                .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

Originally posted by taboo_ View Post
                  In any case, can you back up your stance or is it just a personal preference?

It's just a personal preference. I would just have more faith in the honda engine.
                  Originally posted by kyliejane
                  benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
                  Originally posted by harns
                  Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chidding View Post
                    You weigh 60kg?? scooter maybe?
                    Haha yeh maybe. Though in fairness most the scooters I've been seeing around laterly have about 150kg+, middle-aged, dirty men on them. It makes them look like a wart on top of a two wheeled pimple.
                    -taboo_

Comment

If you want to put k's on it, and reliability is your primary concern, go the honda.

Just be aware, they are girls bikes, and you will be thought less of because of it.

Comment

from a guy with a girls name.. sheesh !
                        Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

Comment

954rr's are great, you should buy mine.

Comment

Yeah a guy with a girls name!
                            (Go the honda )

Comment

Do you like red or blue?

Unless you do a shitload of kays, abuse the crap out of the bike, or race supersport... either bike will fulfil your first big bike requirements - to the extent that I doubt you could tell the difference in performance/reliability. Zero engine failures in more kays than you will ever do for both bikes is pretty much par for the course on a modern supersport I believe...

Pick which one feels comfy and you like the look of. For me that was the honda.

Also, like honda cars, I seem to get the impression they hold their value a little better...
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X