Office of Road Safety Response and Rebuttal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office of Road Safety Response and Rebuttal

Hi guys, I had sent in this complaints form from their website, another forum member drafted it up so I grabbed it and shipped it off:

> Complaints/Dissatisfaction: Dear Sir/Madam,I'm writing to you in complaint to the negative attitude towards motorcycle awareness campaigns and general motorcycle safety that expressed by the Road Safety Council, Grant Dorrington (the chairperson) in particular.Over the weekend, another motorcyclist was killed on WA roads, and a public statement issued by the Motorcycle Riders Association of Western Australia (MRAWA). This article was published on the ABC News website (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/03/2107537.htm), and features a statement by Grant Dorrington suggesting that all motorcyclists speed, and the death and serious injury of riders falls squarely on their shoulders.Whilst I agree that motorcyclists are vulnerable and less visible than other road users, these comments reflect poorly on the general motorcycling community, and feed the already negative public attitude the public has to those who ride.Mr Dorrington seems to have found the safety of riders too difficult and has surrendered his role in safeguarding ALL road users, and as such I feel that it is time for Mr Dorrington to be moved on, so that a more forthright person can take the helm of the Road Safety Council here in WA, and work to protecting all road users, and not just the أ¢â,¬ثoeasyأ¢â,¬â"¢ ones.
    >
    > Resolution: Therefore, the following needs to take place in order to restore the respect for the Government from the motorcycling community in W.A. -1. Mr Grant Dorrington needs to immediately resign due to his total and obvious lack of concern or care for an entire road user group.2. The Road Safety Council to run an awareness campaign, highlighting the need for the public to take a second look for motorcyclists on the roads. This necessity is further highlighted by statistics from the WA Insurance commission for 2006, which state that of the 403 accidents involving the hospitalisation of a rider or pillion, fault was placed on the rider in only 25 (6.2%) of these cases. As far as I am aware, such awareness campaigns are run in both New South Wales and Victoria.Thankyou for your time, and I hope that this email letter is treated with the seriousness that the situation calls for.
    Unsure where the funny symbols come from but I recieved this response to that complain sent and it went like this:

> Our ref: DPC/21963
    >
    > Dear Mr Arrow
    >
    > Thank you for writing and sharing your views on road safety, and I am sorry that you seem to be dissatisfied with the Government and Road Safety Councilâ?Ts approach to motorcycle safety.
    >
    > We are aware that motorcycle riders in Australia are around 29 times more likely to be fatally injured than drivers of other vehicles travelling the same distances. Motorcycle riders are at greater risk than other road users. For the period 1995-2004, the 10-year average was 289.3 serious crashes per 10,000 registered motorcycles in Western Australia. In the same period, the 10-year average was 23.5 serious crashes per 10,000 registered passenger vehicles in Western Australia.
    >
    > However, the Road Safety Council does not advocate the position that motorcycle riders are solely responsible for their own safety. What Grant Dorrington was trying to express is that motorcycle riders are inherently vulnerable road users. They do not have the protection of vehicles in the event of crashes, and are at particular risk on the roads. Mr Dorringtonâ?Ts interview with the ABC was a lengthy one from which the ABC has selected a single quote that does not clearly express Mr Dorringtonâ?Ts â?" and the Road Safety Councilâ?Ts â?" view that motorcycle riders are inherently vulnerable road users.
    >
    > Motorcycle safety is one element that the Road Safety Council addresses through the safe system model that underpins both the current road safety strategy and the proposed strategy for Western Australia for 2008 to 2020. The safe systems approach involves safe riders and drivers in safe vehicles on safe roads travelling at safe speeds. The Road Safety Council addresses all these elements in order to promote road safety in Western Australia â?" and this benefits all road users, including motorcyclists.
    >
    > The Road Safety Council is currently developing the road safety strategy for Western Australia for 2008 to 2020, which is based on the belief that one death or serious injury is too many. The discussion paper on this system is available at the Office of Road Safety website: http://www.officeofroadsafety.wa.gov.au/
    >
    > While the discussion paper may not appear to consider motorcycle riders or other vulnerable road users, the proposed strategy is not structured around road user groups. Rather, it is structured around elements that can be improved to increase road safety. Elements of particular relevance to motorcyclists include:
    >
    > * Improvements to roads â?" Amount other recommendations, the discussion paper proposes improvements to the safety of intersections in metropolitan areas and to major routes radiating out of Perth. Improvements to the roads have obvious benefits for motorcyclists.
    > آ· Reductions in speed â?" The discussion paper includes proposals for Main Road Western Australia (MRWA) to reduce 60 km/h zones to 50 km/h and 110 km/h zones to 100 km/h and to introduce special low speed areas in built up zones such as strip shopping centres. Reductions in speed are of particular benefit to vulnerable road users such as motorcycle riders.
    > آ· Community education about speed â?" The discussion paper proposes increased public education about road safety, including education about the dangers of speed.
    > آ·
    > The discussion paper outlines the importance of safe behaviour on safe roads at safe speeds in safe vehicles â?" elements that are appropriate for all road users, including motorcyclists and bicyclists.
    >
    > You may be interested in knowing that the introduction of a Graduated Rider Training and Licensing program is also being explored. Based on a review of informed successful practice on motorcycle training and licensing, the Department for Planning and Infrastructure is currently developing a Graduated Rider Training and Licensing program for motorcyclists that will enhance the way motorcyclists are practically assessed for their licence. Opportunities for more supervised experience of riding will also be explored, as there is significant evidence based around driving passenger cars that supervised practice is the best way to improve safety on the roads.
    >
    > In response to your comments about the need for an awareness campaign, the Office of Road Safety is liaising with the Transport Accident Commission in Victoria about its campaign to educate drivers about the needs of motorcycle riders on the roads. The campaign is called â?~Put yourself in their shoesâ?T and has run on radio, television, billboards and printed media. The intention of the campaign is to reduce crashes involving multiple vehicles at intersections. However, the campaign has not yet been evaluated so it is too early to judge its effect on driver behaviour. The Office is monitoring the success of this campaign a information becomes available.
    >
    > Once again, thank you for your interest in road safety.
    > Yours sincerely
    >
    > Customer Service Coordinator
    > Office of Road Safety
    > Tel No.9222 9922
    > Fax No.9325 2817
    I have read it and sent this response directly back, but unfortunately I'm not very articulate in this stuff so don't pick it apart.

Thankyou for your eventual reply,

I have a few comments that I would like you to discuss as it shows an inherent lack of understanding on your behalf.
    I am assuming you have never ridden a motorcycle before, please feel free to correct me if i am wrong on this matter.

I look forward to seeing advertising campaigns and awareness campaigns for the support and awareness of motorcycle riders as this is an increasing mode of transport what with concerns over parking, environment and fuel costs so im sure you are well aware that motorcycles are not simply going to be a problem that will go away.

You mentioned the follwing in the below email:
    "Reductions in speed â?" The discussion paper includes proposals for Main Road Western Australia (MRWA) to reduce 60 km/h zones to 50 km/h and 110 km/h zones to 100 km/h and to introduce special low speed areas in built up zones such as strip shopping centres. Reductions in speed are of particular benefit to vulnerable road users such as motorcycle riders."
    I am sure you are aware that motorcycles are extremely hard to control at low speed which is why there are so many low-speed accidents for motorcycles, however the severity of accidents is reduced due to the lower speed. Most low-speed accidents are not reported as you are well aware.

Have you looked into Driver and Rider education programs that advance both abilities beyond the very simple and easy to pass licensing tests you current employ? Many riders attend regularly education programs and enhancement programs because riders know they are in a higher risk group and further education is required. The same cannot be said for drivers where the only advanced driving sought out is due to an employer enforcing the requirement for driver education. You would be aware that motorcycle groups regularly criticise the lack of further education for both riders and drivers as it is simply a once off extremely simple test to pass and suddenly you are an expert driver or rider.

I am cautiously optimistic about your planned 2008-2020 road safety strategy because the ORS seem to be focusing more on the one thing that is not reducing the road toll. Driver and Rider education is the key to this however we both know which plan costs money and which plan generates money.

I remember a saying once went:
    "The definition for a fool is someone who does the same thing over and over and expects a different result"

Don't be the fool.

Benjamin Arrow
    Will wait and see what their response is this time.

Good work to get it out there Ben. I am interested that the letter you got (letter or email??) from ORS has no name on it.

It is as I have said with the ORS they address behaviour and not groups, so they think motorcyclists are no different and should be covered by the stuff that covers the rest, oh, excpet the whole we die a whole heap more often thing. BUT ya get that ...right?! Huh?
    222 Loctite doesn't taste too bad.

Comment

Reducing speed is NOT the answer.

Slower speeds means drivers will be watching their speedometers more than the road, which is a fucking stupid idea to improve road safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca View Post
        Good work to get it out there Ben. I am interested that the letter you got (letter or email??) from ORS has no name on it.

It is as I have said with the ORS they address behaviour and not groups, so they think motorcyclists are no different and should be covered by the stuff that covers the rest, oh, excpet the whole we die a whole heap more often thing. BUT ya get that ...right?! Huh?
        The email came with the details of the person responding so Outlook picked up who sent it however the email itself contained no names. The name of the person responding was:

Christabel Fernandes

Comment

to reduce 60 km/h zones to 50 km/h and 110 km/h zones to 100 km/h and to introduce special low speed areas in built up zones. Yup that will fix the perception that cars are safe as houses.

Nice work Ben, good to see you didnt just take the standard reply
          Turfierific!

Comment

But reducing speed limits to 5 km's an hour will fix the road death toll!

...The man and his department are fools

Comment

The response to my email to the ORS three weeks ago.

It took them three weeks to generate such contrived bullshit?

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for writing and sharing your views on road safety, and I am sorry that you seem to be dissatisfied with the Government and Road Safety Council’s approach to motorcycle safety.

We are aware that motorcycle riders in Australia are around 29 times more likely to be fatally injured than drivers of other vehicles travelling the same distances. Motorcycle riders are at greater risk than other road users. For the period 1995-2004, the 10-year average was 289.3 serious crashes per 10,000 registered motorcycles in Western Australia. In the same period, the 10-year average was 23.5 serious crashes per 10,000 registered passenger vehicles in Western Australia.

However, the Road Safety Council does not advocate the position that motorcycle riders are solely responsible for their own safety. What Grant Dorrington was trying to express is that motorcycle riders are inherently vulnerable road users. They do not have the protection of vehicles in the event of crashes, and are at particular risk on the roads. Mr Dorrington’s interview with the ABC was a lengthy one from which the ABC has selected a single quote that does not clearly express Mr Dorrington’s – and the Road Safety Council’s – view that motorcycle riders are inherently vulnerable road users.
              Motorcycle safety is one element that the Road Safety Council addresses through the safe system model that underpins both the current road safety strategy and the proposed strategy for Western Australia for 2008 to 2020. The safe systems approach involves safe riders and drivers in safe vehicles on safe roads travelling at safe speeds. The Road Safety Council addresses all these elements in order to promote road safety in Western Australia – and this benefits all road users, including motorcyclists.

The Road Safety Council is currently developing the road safety strategy for Western Australia for 2008 to 2020, which is based on the belief that one death or serious injury is too many. The discussion paper on this system is available at the Office of Road Safety website: http://www.officeofroadsafety.wa.gov.au/

While the discussion paper may not appear to consider motorcycle riders or other vulnerable road users, the proposed strategy is not structured around road user groups. Rather, it is structured around elements that can be improved to increase road safety. Elements of particular relevance to motorcyclists include:
              •

Improvements to roads – Amount other recommendations, the discussion paper proposes improvements to the safety of intersections in metropolitan areas and to major routes radiating out of Perth. Improvements to the roads have obvious benefits for motorcyclists.
              • Reductions in speed – The discussion paper includes proposals for Main Road Western Australia (MRWA) to reduce 60 km/h zones to 50 km/h and 110 km/h zones to 100 km/h and to introduce special low speed areas in built up zones such as strip shopping centres. Reductions in speed are of particular benefit to vulnerable road users such as motorcycle riders.
              • Community education about speed – The discussion paper proposes increased public education about road safety, including education about the dangers of speed.
              •
              The discussion paper outlines the importance of safe behaviour on safe roads at safe speeds in safe vehicles – elements that are appropriate for all road users, including motorcyclists and bicyclists.

You may be interested in knowing that the introduction of a Graduated Rider Training and Licensing program is also being explored. Based on a review of informed successful practice on motorcycle training and licensing, the Department for Planning and Infrastructure is currently developing a Graduated Rider Training and Licensing program for motorcyclists that will enhance the way motorcyclists are practically assessed for their licence. Opportunities for more supervised experience of riding will also be explored, as there is significant evidence based around driving passenger cars that supervised practice is the best way to improve safety on the roads.

Once again, thank you for your interest in road safety.

Yours sincerely

Customer Service Coordinator
              Office of Road Safety
              Tel No.9222 9922
              Fax No.9325 2817
              In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
              Its the little things that make the difference
              Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
              If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Originally posted by MuNches View Post
                Christabel Fernandes
                Christabel Fernandes
                Customer Service Co-ordinator
                Office of Road Safety
                Tel No.9222 9922
                Fax No.9325 2817

Damn, looks like it's just the office number.
                This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

But... that's exactly.... ohhhhhh.
                  Originally posted by zobo
                  I'd be more prolific in answering but I thought of a use for the othe

Comment

These people are fucking morons.

The Road Safety Council is currently developing the road safety strategy for Western Australia for 2008 to 2020, which is based on the belief that one death or serious injury is too many.
                    One death or injury is too many? Give me a fucking break. One death or injury from food poisoning would be a fucking miracle. One death or injury from influenza would be something to write home about.

They've set completely stupid, unrealistic goals that can never be reached all so support lower speed limits and lower levels of entry for morons and bad drivers.

Cunts like this just angry up my blood.

**edit: The most recent numbers I can come up with are from 2005.

In 2005 130,714 people died. That's fuck all. Out of this number, deaths from external causes (accidents, poisoning, etc) total 6.1%, or 8015. That's an even smaller number of people. 38 people per 100,000 were killed by an external source.

Looking at road deaths across the country alone, this figure has gone from 30.4 deaths per 100,000 people in 1970, to 8.2 per 100,000 people.

Honestly, whose fucking dick do I need to suck to get these half wits out of any office of power and dunking god-damn french fries for a living? The numbers don't lie, so isn't that all the fucking ammunition we should need?
                    such comment
                    wow
                    many post

Comment

Fuck they're useless.

That response contains the same 'standard response' type crap I got almost a year ago when I wrote to the Minister about it. If they are still dicking around "exploring" and "assessing" graduated licensing and VicRoads programs then what the fuck have they been doing all this time!?

Comment

You guys should all buy into insurance investments. More speed related enforcement means more regular people answering: "Have you had any traffic infringements?" with a yes and then the company can justify charging the same person more for being no different.

Welcome to a Capitalist Democracy.
                        This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

just received the exact same response as MuNches. Useless.....

I'll consider my response and send one off tonight. They've just got no idea, even their response is no response...

Comment

Has anyone sent in a letter pretending to support them?

Comment

Get today tonight involved !

cos everyone knows that doing 100 on an open road in the middle of nowhere will prevent all forseeable accidents...

Of course the accidents arent all speed, maybe they just dont know that.. it's education.. 100%
                              Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

Comment

Working...
                              X