Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold tear!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cold tear!

    OK for those in the know, does cold tear occur due to bad suspension setup OR just excessive power delivery?

    A mate told me I had the wrong suspension setup on the MV because I have "cold tear" on my rear tyre.

    My answer was," I get on the power hard out of corners, sometimes."
    Most of the time its on my way home after a ride out, tyres are warm and so and I.

    Out of the crate, the MV has the best setup I've had, even after doing setups on my others bikes, nothing comes close to its handling! ^_^

    I thought cold tear was getting on the gas with the tyres not at "operational" temp.
    Last edited by Ozboy; 29-12-2007, 03:33 PM.
    07 MV F41000R
    09 Blazing orange Speed Triple
    07 CBR 600RR trackbike
    sigpic http://www.ozspeedphotography.com/

  • #2
    Originally posted by Ozboy View Post
    I thought cold tear was getting on the gas with the tyres not at "operational" temp.
    Ditto

    Can some wicked racer trackguy please clarify this?

    (I only get cold tearing at the track, never on the road)

    Comment


    • #3
      Cold Tear is only applicable to tyres that are cold, and this occurs during the first few minutes of racing or riding while tyres get up to operating temperature. This is mostly due to hard throttle application prior to tyres being warm and sticky, and actually "tearing (amazing hey!!!!) the top layer of rubber away from the rest of the carcass.

      Tearing after the tyres are warm, and at operating temperature generally occurs due to three things.... vigorous throttle application with excess power (to much throttle converts to wheel-spin & tearing rather than grip and drive), incorrect suspension set-up (incorrect suspension set-up converts to wheel-spin and tearing rather than grip and drive), and incorrect tyre pressures (incorrect tyre pressures converts to wheel-spin and tearing rather than grip and drive). See the pattern?

      Just because a bike feels that it handling well out of the box does not mean that it has been set-up correctly for you, your riding style or the tyres you are using.

      I'd suggest resetting all your suspension setting to stock, setting the static sag etc for you, and then slowly play around with your settings as has been identified in a few other threads. Also play with your tyre pressures to ensure that you have them correct. These also change depend on your riding style, temperature etc....

      Its a dynamic equilibrium that requires constant tweaking and changing depending on environmental, bike and rider variables. Hopefully you can find a set-up that covers you for 90% of your riding, and the other 10% won't come back to bite you in the ass......

      As a note.... good power delivery is established by the rider, not the bike, and involves applying the maximum power possible, to get maximum drive, with minimal wheel-spin. Excessive power delivery involves applying too much power for you current conditions (grip), and getting excessive wheelspin with minimal drive. These two are mutually exclusive, and should not be confused.... in all cases of excessive power application, reduction in throttle application will see you go faster, because of better drive and grip.... Sometimes its just not as fun though
      Sponsored by:

      Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

      Comment


      • #4
        Feel The Track! Tire unusual markings and wear patterns
        Originally posted by Bendito
        If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

        Comment


        • #5
          Just got back to this thread, thanks for the input guys.
          07 MV F41000R
          09 Blazing orange Speed Triple
          07 CBR 600RR trackbike
          sigpic http://www.ozspeedphotography.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Cold tear is as said due to cold tyres it can happen also to over inflated tyres as this doesn't allow them to reach opertaing temp. Road tyres tend to cold tear less as their operating temps are lower than track tyres. Having said that you tend to run them at much higher pressures on the road. STOP BEING A HOON

            Comment


            • #7
              My tyres look like the skin on an 80 year old

              Will check my suspension settings GOD DAMMIT!

              Rear tyre pressure I set at 36psi front 33psi

              The only other thing is ... excess acceleration out of corners! HOO, HOO, HAA ,HAA !!!
              07 MV F41000R
              09 Blazing orange Speed Triple
              07 CBR 600RR trackbike
              sigpic http://www.ozspeedphotography.com/

              Comment

              Working...
              X