This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• splittin' the lanes, legal?

Ok, so I'm new to OZ and confused about this one. I've asked a few guys that I've met about splitting the lane cause i see it done all the time, and every time i've asked (like a handful of times, i'm not gonna do a poll here) they've said it's illegal to split the lane.

Reading some posts on PSB, some say it's legal or not illegal.

I've looked up the WA road guide and it doesn't mention it, so it's ambiguous to me (or i just haven't spotted it yet)

What's the verdict? Yah or nay?

CW

definately illegal to lanesplit in a car.

Comment

I ask cause in N. America, depending on which state or province your in, the rules are DIFFERENT. Cali and a few other you can split the lane legally, other u can't. What's wrong with just knowing?

Comment

Search, splitting has been done to death.... that said, i have and will continue to split/filter past cops and havent been pinged yet.
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Because you'll get a different answer depending on who answers you. And it's been asked a number of times. Search for lanesplitting and you'll see what I mean.

Basically - It can be legal or illegal. If done correctly it is legal but most of the time it is done illegally.

Splitting stationary traffic; indicating every time you cross the dotted line and never crossing the solid white lines (including with your foot etc while stationary) is legal.

Splitting moving traffic, or breaking any of the above is illegal.
          "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

Originally posted by Ice View Post
            Because you'll get a different answer depending on who answers you. And it's been asked a number of times. Search for lanesplitting and you'll see what I mean.

Basically - It can be legal or illegal. If done correctly it is legal but most of the time it is done illegally.

Splitting stationary traffic; indicating every time you cross the dotted line and never crossing the solid white lines (including with your foot etc while stationary) is legal.

and remember you are not allowed to lanesplit in a car.

and also;
            - the new gsxr 600 is the perfect bike to step up from a 250
            - western qbe do the best insurance.
            - don't bother turbocharging your bike unless you are tyson.
            - if you get caught riding out of class satan will rain down your skull and dissolve your testicles and turn your guts into snakes.

that should cover it

Comment

Originally posted by Maxo View Post
              and remember you are not allowed to lanesplit in a car.

and also;
              - the new gsxr 600 is the perfect bike to step up from a 250
              - western qbe do the best insurance.
              - don't bother turbocharging your bike unless you are tyson.
              - if you get caught riding out of class satan will rain down your skull and dissolve your testicles and turn your guts into snakes.

that should cover it
              So am i insured if i ride out of class?

“Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

It's not illegal if no one got your numberplate

( ಠ_ಠ)

Comment

Ice - cool man, thanx for the answer...yah, i was getting a bit jumbled with all the definitions floating around in the search.

Maxo - if u'll donate the money, i'd gladly get gixxer, but seeing as i'm a broke-ass post-grad student here, i'll have to settle for a 250.
                  Gotta ship my gear over first.

Comment

Originally posted by Ice View Post

The first one is generally what I do... But when I'm doing this because it does require lower speeds to actually share the lanes while making sure you don't take out people's mirrors, on several occasions other riders have torn past me driving in a swerve pattern as needed but generally sitting on teh dotted lines and not indicating.

Comment

Search = Perth Street Bikes - Search Forums
                      2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                      In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                      Amen, brother. Amen.
                      My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Easy guys, he did say that he is new to OZ and who knows he could be new to interweb forums. And search can be annoying when you get eleventy billion results, so I can understand. Plus when half the search results show threads where people come out and flat out say "splitting is illegal" you can understand why a n00bie would be confused.

anyway, welcome dude. enjoy.

Comment

oooo CW, just realised your in Cott. Our office is in Cott and I ride up from Fremantle everyday along the coast. I'll see you out there sometime.

cheers

Comment

splitting a moving vehicle is not illegal as long as you pass on the right hand side of that vehicle, overtaking on the right in the same lane is permitted.

The only time you can overtake on the left in the same lane is if the vehicle is stationary or turning right.

Comment

^WHS^

Vehicle has to have right indicator on before you may pass on the left of said vehicle.

You may, however, pass on the left of a stationary vehicle, such as at lights.

If you cross lanes, you must indicate.

If you cross the solid white line, your arse belongs to the nearest cop.
                              2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                              In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                              Amen, brother. Amen.
                              My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Working...
                              X