Motorcycle Council of NSW and NSW RTA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Council of NSW and NSW RTA

The Motorcycle Council of NSW were the ones who came up with the initial Positioned for Safety - strategic plan 2002-2005. The MCCNSW has now released a second Positioned for Safety report - 2007-2010. It can be downloaded here:

http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.a...file=1&file=51

This is the sort of shit that we want the Road Safety Council here to do, but they won't, because it involves doing work that will make all the rest of their stupid bullshit look like exactly that, stupid bullshit.

There is more stuff that they do in NSW, that they could and should be doing here including:

Advertising campaigns

Considering that those cave bogans at the ORS claim that half of the motorcycle rider fatalities are single-vehicle, "run-off" type accidents, surely it would be worthwhile to run something like this in bike magazines or whatever so it has some impact? Huh? *hears crickets chirping*

Compare the stuff I have linked above to that woeful joke of a "fact sheet" on the ORS' website and it's not hard to see who hasn't got a clue. Sorry Dorro but you luck out.

All of this stuff like the report and the adverts are put together using funds from the NSW Motor Accidents Authority. Do we have such a thing here??

Where have the NSW RTA run that ad? Is it just posters or was it run in bike mag's australia wide?

Comment

Page 4 of that document lists the people that were involved in preparing the report.

This is exactly whats needed, the thing is it need someone to coordinate it. Obviously the Motorcycle Council over there has taken it upon themselves to do it.

You will notice towards the bottom of pg 4 there is a representative from VicRoads - "Dale Andrea, Project Manager, Motorcycle Safety"

Our equivelant is Main Roads WA - I want to know who our "Project Manager, Motorcycle Safety" is. I bet there isnt such a position over here. Why not? When will such a position be introduced?

Comment

hahahahhaa, wow,

pg 5 of that report, "the MCC represents 47 clubs, with more than 38,000 riders"

Comment

cool
          Originally posted by Bendito
          If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Quotable quotes worth quoting:

Positioned for Safety represented a watershed at its release in June 2002. It has become evident that the process was as important as the product, both for the motorcyclists and for many of the agencies involved. It created new networks by introducing the range of stakeholders to each other. It has enabled the road safety agencies and motorcyclists to develop a better understanding and appreciation of each other’s perspectives. These interactions have led to synergy, with enhanced understanding and gains on all sides.

Too many positive words in there for the Office of Road Safety. Not enough negativity! Motorbikes! Dangerous! Criminals! PerthNow! High powered! RARRR!!

By 2000, as the number of motorcyclists continued to increase, there was mounting pressure to revise the approach to motorcycle safety in Australia as well as in Europe and America. While there are justifiable grounds for regarding motorcycling as a relatively high-risk form of transport, the focus on risk had prevented the advantages of motorcycles as a form of transport from being recognised. As a result, road safety professionals tended to focus on rider behaviour, whereas riders focused on external factors such as the road environment and other motorists. The divergence of views may best be understood as a cultural difference. Road safety practitioners, looking at crash statistics and comparing risk profiles, may view motorcycling as a high-risk form of transport to be contained or discouraged; motorcyclists, having made the choice to ride, are more likely to think in terms of identifying and managing risks. It is this cultural difference that must be bridged to enable road safety professionals and the motorcycling community to work together effectively.

There were 6,750 crashes involving a motorcycle and another vehicle in NSW in the period 2001–05. Multi-vehicle crashes are more likely to be due to the actions of the other driver. The other driver was the key vehicle in 62% of multi-vehicle crashes (n=4,188) compared to the motorcyclist (38%, n=2,562). Half of all crashes due to the other driver involved failure to give way to a motorcycle, usually at intersections, and in a further 18%, motorcyclists were side-swiped in laned traffic.

The head in the sand brigade at the ORS won't like those figures. It's all your fault, see. Youse are all criminal cyclebiker riding cunts and you should be made to wear a front licence plate and lap belt.

Put simply, ‘inattentional blindness’ means that if you are not expecting to see something, you won’t
            see it (Simons & Chabris, 1999; Most & Astur, 2007). These findings are important and suggest that motorcycle crashes could be reduced by changing motorists’ expectations and perceptual behaviour. This could involve changing road safety messages to be more explicit in order to establish revised patterns of expectation (e.g. watch out for motorcyclists).

What have we been saying, and for how long have we been saying it?

The widespread use of mobile phones in cars has drawn attention to a whole range of issues associated with driver attention and attitude to the driving task. A review of crash studies founddriver distraction was associated with between 3.6% and 25% of crashes (Edquist et al., 2005). A New Zealand study found that driver distraction was involved in 9% of crashes and that the sources of distraction were both within the vehicle (42%) and outside it (52%). Phones were only one of a range of in-car distractions, which include other entertainment technology, passengers, food, drink and smoking (Gordon, 2005). Edquist et al. (2005) focused on external sources of distraction and found that visual clutter, such as billboards, increases driver workload and hinders drivers’ detection of hazards.

This quote brought to you by the letter R (for retard), the letter I (for idiot) and the letter F (for Flashthebiker - he doesn't like mobile phones ^_^ )

Wire rope fences tend to be the focus of many riders’ fears, although until recently most reviews indicated that it was in fact the upright posts, common to many designs, that cause the most severe injuries (Gibson & Benetatos, 2000; AGM, 2004). However, recent simulations comparing motorcyclist collisions with concrete and wire rope barriers have shown that while the risk of injury in impacts with either type of barrier will be high, there are grounds for concern about the additional risk associated with wire rope fences. It was found in the simulation studies that, in many cases, the motorcyclist’s extremities became caught between the wires, effectively guiding the motorcyclist into the posts. As a result of this snagging effect, the motorcycle and rider were subjected to large decelerations, and elevated injury risk for the rider (Berg et al., 2005).

:-|

While protective clothing will not prevent life-threatening injuries, it may reduce soft tissue injuries including cuts, abrasions, exhaust pipe and friction burns, and the stripping away of skin and muscle. These benefits are not trivial; such injuries may result in long-term disfigurement and disability from scarring, loss of muscle and tendons, and other joint damage. Effective protective clothing should also protect the rider from the elements in order to maintain a level of comfort and reduce dehydration, distraction and fatigue. By reducing discomfort, such clothing may reduce the risk of fatigue-related crashes (de Rome & Stanford, 2006).

HAY IF I DON WANNA WEAR GEAR I WONT DONT U TELL ME WAT TO DO

International harmonisation of vehicle standards needs to be scrutinised to ensure that safety for all road users is the first principle ahead of cost savings. Daytime running lights (DRLs), fog lights and clear indicator lights are all designed for northern hemisphere lighting conditions and may present increased risks for motorcyclists in Australian lighting conditions. A research study commissioned by the Japanese Government concluded that the benefits of DRLs on four-wheeled vehicles depends on the ambient light conditions ( JASIC, 2003; 2004). The study found the key benefit was in very low light conditions, and that there was no benefit when lighting conditions exceeded 10,000 lux. The authors of the study recommended that DRLs on vehicles be capable of adjusting their luminous intensity according to lighting conditions to maximise the vehicle’s ability to be seen without adversely affecting motorcycles and oncoming drivers.

But it looks hawt and all the fully sik HSV boys like to have their foggies on during the day.

Motorcyclists have long suffered from a poor public image. Historically, this is derived from old stereotypes which are perpetuated by the media promoting fear and mistrust. The poor public image has direct road safety implications in the on-road behaviour of motorists towards motorcyclists. A study for the Federal Office of Road Safety in 1995 identified a number of safety problems associated with the poor public image of motorcyclists (Krige, 1995). They found that motorists tended to be influenced by old ‘bikie’ stereotypes and feel an emotional distance from motorcyclists. They had little understanding of the riding activity or risks associated with it, nor did they have any knowledge of how to interact with motorcyclists as road users.

Like Perth drivers you mean? But the winning quote has got to be this one:

The poor public image of motorcycle riders has also influenced the attitudes of some who work in road safety. The situation for motorcyclists is often similar to that of young drivers. Individuals from these two groups are more likely to be assumed responsible for any crash in which they are involved, whereas this is less likely for other road user groups. For example, it has been estimated that onethird of all pedestrian fatalities were alcohol-affected (NRMA, 2002), yet it is most unlikely that anyone would casually ask a pedestrian casualty whether they had been drunk at the time. However motorcyclists and young drivers are readily assumed to have been speeding if they are involved in a crash. Attitudes like these belong in the past, and they are shifting as we move away from blame models towards a systems approach to road safety.

If it wasn't so true, it would probably be funny. But its not (funny).

Comment

Originally posted by Scoundrel View Post
              This quote brought to you by the letter R (for retard), the letter I (for idiot) and the letter F (for Flashthebiker - he doesn't like mobile phones ^_^ )
              Originally posted by Bendito
              If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoundrel View Post

but I do like mobile phones - just don't like when drivers use em while trying to drive...

Comment

The NSW RTA adds are in the national magazines. I saw one for the first time in decembers eddition of two wheels and thought it was a pretty effective ad. But being WA (wait awhile) it ill be years before we see anything similar funded by our state government.

Comment

Originally posted by Markb View Post
                    But being WA (wait awhile) it ill be years before we see anything similar funded by our state government.
                    Do you want to help us be part of the solution?

Comment

Originally posted by Markb View Post
                      The NSW RTA adds are in the national magazines. I saw one for the first time in decembers eddition of two wheels and thought it was a pretty effective ad. But being WA (wait awhile) it ill be years before we see anything similar funded by our state government.
                      You never know. PSB has a few DPI staff floating around. If everything's set up you could always track us down and we can see if there's any way we can get our department on board even if it was getting the OK to put posters up in branches, but better if we could do more.

Comment

Thats a great find Scoundrel, excellent work please alert Mr BillyWhizz and Ms Rebecca to your findings as well, i am sure they will be interested.

Comment

Gee there are some great campaigns run ELSEWHERE arent there?

The first thing that pops into my mind (being from NSW) is that they dont have honky nuts and pea gravel (as much).

I dont know that I would recommend a "line" (as in the pic) through a corner in country WA as the best option. I think (just my opinion) that for your average Jo it is safer to stay in the wheel track you are in through the corner and not move from left-right-left across the oil-gravel area.
                          222 Loctite doesn't taste too bad.

Comment

Wow what a good report.

But I have seen the belt up message on a football in WA!!!!!!!!!!

I have worked within Local Government and been at the cutting edge with a UNI PHD researcher in safety in another area.

The WA response to our work was, "Has it been used anywhere else in the world?" When the reply was "no this is a first" we were told "THAT's A PITY".

Our work was largely taken up and copied by the Eastern States. We were then told by WA Govt that we were so behind the Eastern States and we should learn from them.

Some of our work was recognised in the UK as being better than anything they had there but in WA we had to walk away. In fact I was welcolmed there and spent 3 days with the leading voices to the Prime Minister but not good enough for WA!

The government department I was involved with does not do anything other than bring in restrictive legislation to try and fix behavioural problems. This has not worked but we are now saddled with unworkable legislation which FAILED in every country it was introduced. There is no pro-active work at all from them. I should use the word incompetant I guess.

I now work for my self and wil be meeting with another Govt Dept early next year to resurrect MAYBE a project I used to work with. They have said that I was too expensive!! This for charging normally accepted industry rates.

We have a lot of talent in WA on our doorsteps but it has to go away before we can recognise it.

Graelin

Comment

http://www.mraa.org.au/downloads/Tynan.pdf
                              Here is a document titled "survive the ride" outlines initiatives utilised in Sydney 2005 -
                              "As the STR project is still in the early years of implementation, the challenge is still to
                              create an increased acceptance by riders that they are primarily responsible for their own safety, even if the Police report indicates they were legally “in the right”."
                              *sigh*
                              Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them they die.

Comment

Working...
                              X