Damaged Wire Rope Barriers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged Wire Rope Barriers

Has anyone else noticed the significant number of hits the wire rope barriers along the freeway south have taken?

Did a trip down there last weekend, and counted something like 8-10 damaged sections were poles were knocked over or noticably bent, along with one section where there's about 20 poles knocked over. Along with that, there were quite a few sections where it was obvious poles had previously been replaced. I won't mention the number of missing rubber caps.

Given these have been up for roughly 18-24 months now, this equates to atleast one barrier strike per month.

Anyone else suprised by this?
    (This isn't a WRB rant, just another observation of how people crash frequently on our well maintained freeways)

Nope, does'nt suprise me coz perth drivers suck.
    Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

i saw one on friday night. it was an old little hatch thing, went into them near the new cockburn station. dunno what happened but took out a helluva lot of them.

from the looks of things, not much (if any) real damage to the car, apart from some scrapes and scratches.

probably why they like them, for the majority of road users it's better than concrete or other barriers.

but to the other road users (like us) it's major damage when hit.

Comment

^^^ That's probably the one with 20 or so poles knocked out. It looked very serious as far as the barrier goes.
        It's a stark contrast with Monday's accident on Kwinana northbound where a commodore was just about ripped apart after hitting a concrete barrier.

I'm doing a trip down there again this friday, and tempted to drag someone along to keep a proper tally.
        Send all that into Main Roads and ask what maintenance & repair costs are per metre and we might have an argument for their removal as far as 'future costs' go.

Comment

the best one's are when they are texting, eyes down... the car infront brakes - they dont realise till the last second.. then whip off to the side.. there wouldn't be a single day i have ridden the freeway since I've been back - that there is not a section of the graters taken down..

saw one yesterday, heading south - it was in the north bound lane, a dark green/black colored commonwhore ute thing.. sliced the front up nicely.. and traffic was banked back for miles..

then this morning, a ute dropped a couple bundles of poly 20-25mm tubes off the roof.. a bus went over them.. splintering the first parcel.. turning it into super sharp shards of plastic all over the lane..

where the hell is a bike supposed to go ?
          Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

Comment

Originally posted by Eukanuba View Post
            where the hell is a bike supposed to go ?

Under a car, or through the cheese grater. take your pick
            Originally posted by kyliejane
            benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
            Originally posted by harns
            Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

nice big impact marks on the concrete side on Kwinana heading north just after the Mt Henry bridge with skid marks all the way across 3 lanes to the verge on the left.

new fence has been put up there. that would have been a big'n
              Have you won the game recently?? Post here

Comment

yah, saw that one bunyack.. did you notice the hit on the concrete ( perfect wheel circles on the wall ) - then slide marks at a nice 45° angle.. and blackies all the way across to the other side..

Comment

Atleast the cage drivers are trying to take them out for us....
                  c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

^^ whs, my mum saw a small toyota swerve off the road (it was nor and the wires were less than a meter off the road) take out two of poles holdin the wires and then just keep drivin, said female driver was sendin a txt msg at the time
                    (226): Forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonchilds View Post
                      It's a stark contrast with Monday's accident on Kwinana northbound where a commodore was just about ripped apart after hitting a concrete barrier.
                      One less Commodore on the road, that's always a good thing.

Comment

Just sent an email off to main roads asking why there are so many damaged sections and missing post caps that have not been remedied.
                        Also hoping to find out repair costs and the strike-rate if these things are collected.

I also felt compelled to again put forward the question of whether these barriers are more suitable for retaining motorcycles and their rides over W beam, thrie beam and concrete barriers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonchilds View Post
                          I also felt compelled to again put forward the question of whether these barriers are more suitable for retaining motorcycles and their rides over W beam, thrie beam and concrete barriers.
                          I dont know if "retain" is the word most suitable..

Maybe something along the lines of " Slice and Dice "..

only thing that I really fear, is that one day - I'll get blind sided by a dopey cager on the freeway ( on their phone, eating breakfast or not paying attention ).. and be forced at speed into these things..

I swear - if i survive.. I'll go on a rampage at main roads..

Comment

Originally posted by rc_sam View Post
                            Nope, does'nt suprise me coz perth drivers suck.
                            +1 to this comment....

Comment

I saw one on christmas day.

Red sedan or wagon, young female driver. I didn't slow down going past so I can't give any more info. Evident that nobody had been hurt though (*Charles Darwin turns in his grave*).

Car was partway through the barrier on the left side of a freeway offramp, only about 30 degrees short of facing the wrong way down the road.

From the tyre marks it looked like she'd realised at the last second that she needed to turn off, decided to swerve violently whilst trying to brake heavily at the same time, and hilarity had ensued.

Comment

Working...
                              X