Insurance - I didn't know this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance - I didn't know this

Well I found out the other day IF my bike was to be written off that I will lose my premiums even though accident was fault of the other driver.
    Not happy. I have just paid my insurance premiums 2 months ago and was a couple of grand.
    Now because of her crashing into me, IF my bike is to be written off I will lose my premiums.
    Anyway wasn't happy with this answer and spoke with someone higher and he informs me for me to get paid out remainder of premium I will have to claim through her insurance company. I had no idea about this and person I first spoke with said nope I would lose my premiums. However if my bike is repairable is best to go through my insurance company.
    Such a long process. Argh......

Yeah... but if it's the other drivers' fault, and they're fully insured, then you'll claim it through them.

Basically, the way it works, if your bike is written off by your insurance company, they become the owner of your old bike, and then you buy a new one and get a new policy.

Comment

At this stage it may be repairable and if so then I have been told by Swann Insurance I should claim through them as it will be quicker.

Can I claim through her insurance if I don't have her policy or claim number.

Comment

Doesn't your insurance company usually just sue her insurance company?

Comment

Originally posted by taint View Post
          Doesn't your insurance company usually just sue her insurance company?
          that is what I thought.

Apparently they will pay out and not charge me excess as is a not at fault claim. Won't effect no claim bonus but lose all the premiums I have paid.

To get them to pay out remainder of my premium or to claim that back I have to go through her insurance company.

Comment

megs: you will get it back via the other parties insurance co.

After a decent sized crash like yours, if they give you the option of writing the bike off, take it! It will never ride the same once it's repaired.
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

...let me get this straight, I iz confused

Doesn't your premium cover you till the end of the (paid) year even if you do make a claim

Are you trying to cancel your insurance and get whats left of your premium payed out?

Comment

Sorry to have to give you the bad news in the first place, but as i said check with your insurer and at least you can make an informed choice.

"taint" they don't insure you, they insure the bike.
                Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

If its her fault go through her insurance company with out a doubt. Usually you pay the excess up front to Swan, your bike is repaired or written off by Swan. Swan then chases up her insurance company and they pay swan for the repairs and you get your excess back. There should be no delay either!!!

This should have no affect on your premium!!!!!
                  10 metre rule - Takes the guess work out of f_cking ugly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by megs View Post
                    At this stage it may be repairable and if so then I have been told by Swann Insurance I should claim through them as it will be quicker.

Can I claim through her insurance if I don't have her policy or claim number.
                    Fill the Swann's claim form stating that the other party involved was at fault and you will need to describe the accident. Give them the details of the other person involved and your insurance will chase their insurance up to recoup the money. Not sure if your insurance will pay back the balance of premium back to you but I believe they should as the damages are paid by the others persons insurance company that is if they do have insurence...

Good Luck megs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by arwon View Post
                      "taint" they don't insure you, they insure the bike.
                      Thats what I meant, you/bike inseparable and the same thing

Comment

Unfortunatley there is little you can do except persue the other driver or their insurance company. If their insurer rejects that part of the claim you'll have to launch a civil claim directly against the other party.

Its a shit fight for sure but as previously mentioned, they insure the bike. Not you. Once the bike is writen off, there is nothing more to insure thus the terms of your policy have been fulfilled and the policy closed.
                        In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                        Its the little things that make the difference
                        Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                        If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Whenever someone has hit me or someone I know, I/we just informed our insurance company, they fix/replace the vehicle and chase the other inurance company.
                          No money lost from my end at all, isn't this the norm?
                          I'm confused.

Comment

if the bike is a write off and I claim through my insurance company I lose my premium. If I claim through their insurance company and they pay out the bike then I can claim back my unused premium.

Paid over $2000 for insurance less than 3 months ago.

Alot of premium to lose

Am not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                              Whenever someone has hit me or someone I know, I/we just informed our insurance company, they fix/replace the vehicle and chase the other inurance company.
                              No money lost from my end at all, isn't this the norm?
                              I'm confused.
                              That was my thought on the matter, thats whats happened to me in the past

Comment

Working...
                              X