Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!

Ok so yesterday I was going out for a ride but I got to the end of my street and my bike dies on me. I push it over to the side of the road and try starting it again but it just dies after a few seconds. So I decided to just push it back home and have a good look at it but can't seem to see anything obviously wrong.

At first we thought it could just be a pinched fuel line but after taking the tank off and having a good look inside all the lines and filter look fine. My friends Dad is pretty handy with bikes so he came round and had a look at it. He thinks it's either water in the fuel lines/bowls or dirt on the lines/bowls.

So we keep trying to start it up to clear the lines but the battery eventually dies. We then take it out onto the road and try to jump start it. It begins to turn over but then just dies.

So I called the RAC and after a 2 and a half hour wait the guy comes, has a quick look at it and says that this is neither the time(9.30pm) or the place(the footpath outside my house) to start taking it apart to find out whats wrong. So he gives me a towing voucher and says to take it to a mechanic.

Now I don't know about you but I thought that the RAC were meant to get you going again. Not make you wait for ages and then tell you that you have to get someone else to do it. I think the guy just wanted to go home.

So I called the RAC again today and they sent a guy to come look at it. So he comes and actually has a decent look at it and after hearing the strange sound it makes plus lack of suction through air intake and maybe fuel lines tells me he thinks it's probably that the timing belt has skipped and that I will need to get a proper mechanic to look at it and fix it.

CURSE YOU NOT VERY HELPFUL RAC!!!!!!

So I have been given two theories as to what it might be.

1. Water or dirt in the fuel lines/bowls.
    2. Timing belt has skipped.

Can anyone suggest any other reasons for the problem and/or how to fix it? All input will be much appreciated.

I really need my bike running because it's way too hot to keep mountain biking everywhere.

Please help
    Feels good man.

Dude, the RAC aren't bike mechanics, nor are they meant to fix your shit at any cost. They're a tyre changing (assuming you have a spare)/battery charging/coupla liters of petrol provider/general roadside mechanics service, which is limited.

If the dude wasn't particularly confident or well trained with bikes, he had every right to offer you a towing voucher. Last time I got a bike tow cost me $100, what did you pay for your RAC membership?

Edit: It sucks that it's your only transport, but I'm assuming by the fact this has happened, and you haven't mentioned dealers, that this is a second hand bike sold in a private sale. These sorts of things are just the risks you take.

Comment

Try some of the usual things, like fuel lines, spark plugs, etc.

If none of that works, get a mobile mechanic to check it out for ya. The problem with just posting and asking for ideas is like phoning a Dr for a check up; they're not seeing the whole picture.

As much as it might end up costing you money, get it done properly by someone that knows.

Or keep pedalling...
      2006 Yamaha R1SP;
      In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
      Amen, brother. Amen.
      My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Yeah i think I will just give Derek a call and get him to have a look.

Spark plugs are new from the service a few weeks ago.
        Feels good man.

Comment

Reply from Ben Wyatt, MP

weird. something's fucked up.
          Last edited by Brougham; 24-12-2007, 03:18 PM. Reason: crazy stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Brougham View Post
            weird. something's fucked up.
            I rekon. It was running fine on friday.
            Feels good man.

Comment

Miracle workers they are not!

Modern electronics in cars require the dealers diagnostic computer not sure if bikes are the same but probably are.

I have used RAC twice lately and the service was most valued and appreciated.

First time was coming back from Toodyay and the car started misfire and then fails to do more than idle.

RAC diagnosed probably a fuel pump and arranged a tow. Like not really practical to be under a car in 40 degees at the side of a highway working on a hot car engine and guessing. Much better tow it get experts.

Modern electrics need correct diagnoses computer and my mechanic said take to dealer. Simple fix, loose plug conection caused missfire and computer in conjunction with 02 sensor shut of fuel supply giving same symptom as fuel pump failure. Reset computer and all ok.

A week later other car batery failed late night shops took a bout 3 hrs but where would I be with out them?

The tow truck driver took us all home (wife and two kids) he said the day was too hot (40 degrees) to keep dog in the car so he put it in the cab with us. Well done I say.

We also got a second tow voucher which I didnt need.

I did not know RAC do bikes, is this the case?

Graelin

Comment

Originally posted by Graelin View Post
                I did not know RAC do bikes, is this the case?
                Well they came but neither of the guys seemed to know all that much. Good thing it's a free service.

Does anyone know a good way of clearing the fuel lines when the bike isn't working?
                Feels good man.

Comment

Timing belt slipped...

He had NO idea.

CBR's don't have timing belts, they have timing chains.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                    Timing belt slipped...

He had NO idea.

I wonder if he could tell the difference between a CBR and a ZZR?

Comment

He could've said timing chain.
                      Feels good man.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                        I wonder if he could tell the difference between a CBR and a ZZR?
                        Screw you.....

It was a broken down bike..I just assumed it was a Honda...

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                          Timing belt slipped...

He had NO idea.

You have NO idea. CBR's dont have timing chains, they have gear driven cams

biatch
                          If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Originally posted by esquire View Post
                            Now I don't know about you but I thought that the RAC were meant to get you going again. Not make you wait for ages and then tell you that you have to get someone else to do it. I think the guy just wanted to go home.

So I called the RAC again today and they sent a guy to come look at it. So he comes and actually has a decent look at it and after hearing the strange sound it makes plus lack of suction through air intake and maybe fuel lines tells me he thinks it's probably that the timing belt has skipped and that I will need to get a proper mechanic to look at it and fix it.

CURSE YOU NOT VERY HELPFUL RAC!!!!!!
                            The RAC are there to get you home, not to fix your bike.
                            You where already home, what is the problem?
                            You are lucky you got a towing voucher instead of a smack in the chops.

Comment

shoulda made them tow your bike home
                              If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Working...
                              X