braking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• braking?

i was riding along and just thinking to myself. why arent the larger disk brakes on the rear tyre instead of the front? the rear tyre is larger and therefore has a bigger surface area, so wouldnt we be able to slow down faster if the majority of our bikes braking power was on the rear?

theres obviously a good reason the big brakes are on the front otherwise they wouldnt do it. just wondering really

ta

Here's something to get you thinking...

Where does all the weight go when you brake?

Comment

because when you are stopping all the weight is on the FRONT tyre.

Comment

as you brake weight transfers to the front tyre putting more grip on the front meaning you can brake more effectively hence the use for bigger disc. if bigger on your rear as you brake weight lifts off the back meaning the rear tyre would lock up.
        Originally posted by kyliejane
        benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
        Originally posted by harns
        Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

you obviously need to brush up on your physics.

Comment

When your braking, most of the weight transfers to the front. If a greater percentage of braking was done through the rear, the rear wheel would just lock up.
            The Equity Crowd
            Marketing, Websites, Business Development

Comment

Cause it looks good !!

Comment

Honda Shop Midland have a good little DVD on this issue. Features Wayne Gardner. Maybe speak to the DESMOGOD and watch it.

Comment

Did your instructor teach you nothing?
                  In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                  Its the little things that make the difference
                  Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                  If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

If you watch any form of racing, you'll see from time to time that bikes are braking so hard with just the front brakes that the rear tyre is totally off the ground. Thats how much the weight balance can shift when you're braking!

Imo, on a sportsbike (cruisers ect a little different) the rear brake is useful only for slow speed manuveres. I dont even touch it when braking hard.

Comment

OH DEAR LORD JESUS

Your front wheel/brake contains 75% of your bike's stopping power.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoundrel View Post
                        OH DEAR LORD JESUS

Your front wheel/brake contains 75% of your bike's stopping power.
                        I think he was asking why it contains so much stopping power... And that was answered a few posts ago

Comment

Originally posted by maya View Post
                          Where does all the weight go when you brake?
                          That depends on how well the chick on the back is holding on.
                          One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Don't you mean how "large" *ahem* she is? Surely that would help slow ya down
                            Last edited by RICO; 28-12-2007, 07:00 PM. Reason: I am crap
                            Designed by a Genius.
                            Built by Craftsmen.
                            Ridden by a TWAT!

Comment

Short history of motorcycle brakes....

Don't feel too bad about it, mate....I have had the pleasure of riding a veteran Norton--3 speed hand shift, manual spark advance/air mix, etc. This was apparently the Gixxer thou of its day , about the fastest thing you could buy (steady down the back all you R1 fanboys) The front brake is best regarded as an adornment for the RH bar end, the rear brake is much larger and more effective. They didn't really get the physics right for a long time...the really scary thing is that they used to lap the IOM TT at over a 60MPH (100km/hr ) average on these . The bike? Norton Model 18, 500cc, OHV--the year? 1927

" Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill"

Comment

Working...
                              X