Monsters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monsters

Its a simple question. Ducati monster m1000s 2004.
    ARE THEY ANY GOOD!!!!!. Any inherant faults with them etc.
    Looking to upgrade the twofity. Ta.

If you can... go and test ride one. I'm unsure on the availability of a testride duke tho.

Oh and welcome to da forum!
    If you can... you MUST!

Comment

Have a look here for road tests

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/clasqm/ducati.html
      I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

Comment

hmm ask the boys at causeway duc ... they may let ya ..

and ... hi
        Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

Welcome to da forum... not sure about the ducati... but just to make sure.. you are aware of the maintainence cost's of those things right? :?

Comment

I'd have loved one but have heard too many stories about dukes spending more time in the shop than on the road. Plus monsters are grossly underpowdered for the displacement and $.

I believe the twin valve models are ok $ servcie-wise coz they are every 10,000km's instead of 6,000, so it averages out.

The service costs for the 4 valve models is obscene.
            sigpic

Comment

Apparently the 1000DS motor is pretty damn sweet and mighty torquey. Servicing is expensive, but if it's what floats your boat then go for it.

Comment

if your after a twin I have a 1997 VTR 1000 Firestorm up for sale

PM me if you want more info.

Comment

Go the Ducati!!!!!

The M1000s is a sweet set of wheels. I think Frasers still have a demo. In all honesty, buy new, you'll get so much more out of it!! 8)

Comment

Nice bike for what it is... Bt again with the servicing costs.

If you want a V-twin have a look at the aforementioned Firestorm, aswell as the tl-1000 and the SV-650. The VTR SP1 and 2 aswell, bit more of an acquired taste though (Heard both really good and really bad things about them)

Ride EVERYTHING you can get your hands on, then decide

Comment

have you thought about a SV1000, similar to the duke, but it is reliable, cost half as much, and is 1/3 of the cost to service.

through a set of yoshis on it and its one sweet sound.

oh and I just happen to have a demo model right here.....
                      ...and on the seventh day God said "Let there be light!", and Chuck Norris said "say please!"

Comment

If you're going to buy second hand, get it checked out thoroughly. One suggestion is to get a sample of the oil and take it to an oil analysis lab (I think you can get it done through Cat). I know this sounds like huge overkill but I got stung with what I thought was a bargain when I bought my SS.

A bearing had collapsed in the gearbox and was spreading iron filings througout the engine. One day it just acquired a litre a day habit, there was no warning before that that anything was wrong. I had it checked out, compression test the whole bit, even had it run up on a dyno. Consequently an engien that had done 26k looked like it had down 226k when it was stripped down. One thing you don't want to have to experince is having the painful experience of having a rather large sum of money surgically removed from your credit card to fix such a problem.

This isn't an inherent problem with Dukes and everyone who knows whats what with them that I've spoken to has said that it was really unusual. Since I've had the engine re-built however, I wouldn't trade it for another ride for anything (unless you want to dangle a 999 in front of me ). The servicing costs aren't as high as everyone is making out, especially if you bring it to someone other than the dealer (I get mine done by Mike Turner at V-Twin).

One thing I would recommend you do straight away is to go down a tooth on the front sprocket. All Dukes seem to be over geared to the max, a by product of getting them past the ADR noise regs from what I've been told. It made mine way nicer to ride as well as better acceleration. As far as what the others have said about them being under-powered, well yes definitely there's no way they'll ever be on par with the Jap hyper bikes but then riding a Duke is a whole different mind set and you'll definitely be right in there with them when it comes to the twisty bits.

Hope I haven't put you off, it's well worth it, trus tme.
                        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Comment

thanks

If you're going to buy second hand, get it checked out thoroughly. One suggestion is to get a sample of the oil and take it to an oil analysis lab (I think you can get it done through Cat). I know this sounds like huge overkill but I got stung with what I thought was a bargain when I bought my SS.

A bearing had collapsed in the gearbox and was spreading iron filings througout the engine. One day it just acquired a litre a day habit, there was no warning before that that anything was wrong. I had it checked out, compression test the whole bit, even had it run up on a dyno. Consequently an engien that had done 26k looked like it had down 226k when it was stripped down. One thing you don't want to have to experince is having the painful experience of having a rather large sum of money surgically removed from your credit card to fix such a problem.

This isn't an inherent problem with Dukes and everyone who knows whats what with them that I've spoken to has said that it was really unusual. Since I've had the engine re-built however, I wouldn't trade it for another ride for anything (unless you want to dangle a 999 in front of me ). The servicing costs aren't as high as everyone is making out, especially if you bring it to someone other than the dealer (I get mine done by Mike Turner at V-Twin).

One thing I would recommend you do straight away is to go down a tooth on the front sprocket. All Dukes seem to be over geared to the max, a by product of getting them past the ADR noise regs from what I've been told. It made mine way nicer to ride as well as better acceleration. As far as what the others have said about them being under-powered, well yes definitely there's no way they'll ever be on par with the Jap hyper bikes but then riding a Duke is a whole different mind set and you'll definitely be right in there with them when it comes to the twisty bits.

Hope I haven't put you off, it's well worth it, trus tme.

Thank you ta all that replied. I have about 16-18k to spend on a bike.
                          Will have to do a lot of thinking.Just so many excelent bikes to choose from.Getting very confused!!!!

Comment

the sp2 is a swweeet twin
                            Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

the sp2 is a swweeet twin
                              Damn right there mate!!!! 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X