Motorcycle Safety - Response from the ORS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Safety - Response from the ORS

Yay I recieved another response and this one seems to be written by a person and not copied and pasted, I have sent alot of emails with alot of words in them and some with some not very nice words but anyway:

Our ref: DPC/21963

Dear Mr Arrow

Thank you for your continuing correspondence regarding motorcyclist safety.

In response to your comments about the controllability of motorcycles at low speed, you will undoubtedly be aware that many other countries (particularly in Europe) have urban speed limits that are significantly less than those in Australia, as low as 30 km/h for most residential streets. We are not aware that these low urban speed limits pose undue difficulties for motorcyclists and/or moped riders in these countries. As you have indicated, lower speeds result in significantly less severe injuries should a collision or fall occur.

In response to your comments about the need for rider training, I can only reiterate that the introduction of a Graduated Rider Training and Licensing program is being explored by the Department for Planning and Infrastructure. Based on a review of informed successful practice on motorcycle training and licensing, the Department for Planning and Infrastructure is currently developing a Graduated Rider Training and Licensing program for motorcyclists that will enhance the way motorcyclists are practically assessed for their licence.

Yours sincerely

Customer Service Coordinator
    Office of Road Safety
    Tel No.9222 9922
    Fax No.9325 2817
    Lol, continuing response, now I have sent this email back to them but it is kind of not very well written as I am still abit shaken by events today.

Thankyou for your response the my emails, mabey the Office of Road safety
    can elevate the correspondence with an open forum with interested parties
    like the MRAWA, PSB, WASCC, MCRCWA etc. You had recent talks with the MRAWA
    that was unfruitful due to your departments dislike for motorcyclists and
    unwillingness to listen to the needs of motorcyclists as i am sure you are
    aware as a person that has or should have held numerous license classes and
    partaken in advanced driver and rider training, motorcyclists have unique
    road safety requirements that differ to that of 4-wheeled vehicles. This
    requirement warrants a separate department and not a 'blanket' approach for
    road safety.

You would have done research into the rate of deaths in 'Europe' and
    particularly the United Kingdom where before the introduction of
    speed-camera devices the road toll has been continually decreasing from a
    peak in the 1970's, up until the introduction of speed-camera devices where
    the road toll remained constant and did not decrease. I take your comments
    about lowering limits working in european countries and agree, in a highly
    populated area it will work however traffic will naturally decrease speed
    with increase in volume. The German auto-bahn must therefore have at least
    100 deaths per day according to the Office of road Safety as they are
    travelling in far above the maximum limits imposed in a draconian fashion in
    Western Australia.

Now the motorcycling association I am a member of have been doing research
    into Motorcycle Awareness programs implemented in numbers other countries
    with great results, I fail to recall even one single program run by the
    Office of Road safety in regards to paying attention to motorcycles and with
    the increase in use due to the environmental benefits im sure you are aware
    this is a need to address.

I also have failed to recieve a response in regards to whether or not your
    department runs all employees through Advanced Driver and Rider training
    programs ? Surely as the body of road safety you should be leading the way
    in driver and rider education ?

Finally Grant Dorrington does not hold a motorcycle license nor a heavy
    vehicle license, how is the head of the Office of Road Safety thinking that
    he can even think about making decisions that will benefit all road users
    when he does not even know how to start a motorcycle ? We (Motorcyclists)
    will be pushing for his resignation or sacking and instating a competent
    party that is actually INTERESTED in road safety, I know of many people who
    work within a road instruction background and even licensing, have held all
    license classes for numerous years and is interested in road safety,
    something your department seems to lack.

Speak to you again soon.

Benjamin Arrow
    Now will wait and see what happens, last time I sent an email to them I recieved a voice message on my phone saying the ORS wasn't happy with the tone of my e-mails and wanted to discuss them. I didn't call them back, well because I suck at phone conversations.

Cheers

Ben

Originally posted by MuNches View Post
    I recieved a voice message on my phone saying the ORS wasn't happy with the tone of my e-mails and wanted to discuss them.
    Thats a bit fucking rich of them. Good on you for fighting the good fight

Comment

last time I sent an email to them I recieved a voice message on my phone saying the ORS wasn't happy with the tone of my e-mails and wanted to discuss them.

Hahahaha....

We're not happy with their approach to road safety, either, but they don't seem to want to discuss that.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I wonder if they enjoy putting on the 'hideously ignorant' party hat, or if they're just born that way?

Comment

Good on you Muches.
          Thro, you're right on there, how dare they ring to complain about the tone of an email.

Comment

I recieved a voice message on my phone saying the ORS wasn't happy with the tone of my e-mails and wanted to discuss them.
            LAWLZ.

So much lol.

If I did this in my job and it got back to my employer, I would probably face disciplinary action. What a bunch of cocks.

In case you didn't see it Ben, they're pretty shitty with you

Comment

Originally posted by Scoundrel View Post
              LAWLZ.

In case you didn't see it Ben, they're pretty shitty with you
              Aha that is the aim of the correspondence, if they even once remember in a meeting 'you know that fuggin motorcycle guy named Ben sent me another email today about stupid motorcycle safety' then they might remember actually thinking about Motorcycle Safety ?

Keep sending those comments to them guys!

The direct link to the complaints form is HERE:

Office of Road Safety - Expression of Dissatisfactions or Complaints

Fill it out guys!

Comment

You'll have your own undercover Police following your for traffic violations in no time.
                You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

I just fired off a complaint.

Not sure what it will achieve.

Complaint. My complaint is to do with the reported comments in the mass media that the Office of Road Safety doesn't believe that education campaigns would do anything to improve road safety.
                  As a motorcyclist averaging 15,000 kilometres a year on two wheels, I'm sick and tired of drivers trying to kill me.
                  As a driver of cars and emergency vehicles, I'm sick and tired of motorists trying to damage my vehicle and person.
                  Please explain why you don't endorse education campaigns, which have proven successful overseas and interstate.

Requested resolution

A considered written and or verbal response, beyond beaurocratic waffle.

Comment

^^ lol, short and to the point

*gazes into crystal ball*

Methinks you will receive the canned response.

“Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Computer says.... " NO "..
                      Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

Comment

I've just written a complaint to add to the list.
                        See if i get a response.

Director General,

Recently I have become one of the growing number of Western Australians who have chosen to change my mode of transport to a motorcycle. Since becoming a motorcyclist on our roads I have come to be aware of the lack of education given to the general public regarding the safety needs of Western Australian motorcyclists.

Until becoming a motorcyclist I was unaware of the safety needs of these motorists on Western Australian roads and believe that anyone who does not hold a motorcycle license can have any comprehension as to the safety needs of this particular motorist group.

Researching what education and safety programs have been implimented by other states in Australia and other countries around the world, it would appear that the office of road safety have done little in recent years to provide better education and safety in the interest of Western Australian motorcyclists.

I am aware that the office of road safety has been looking into rider education training and licensing schemes for some time, however nothing has ever been implemented.
                        With the growing number of Western Australians choosing to use a motorcycle as their means of transport I believe the number of casualties and deaths on our roads will only increase unless something is done on your part to improve education and safety in regards to motorcyclists.

Regards
                        Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

...last time I sent an email to them I recieved a voice message on my phone saying the ORS wasn't happy with the tone of my e-mails and wanted to discuss them.
                          Nice work Ben. Rule No 1 of the public service - "Never commit to writing something that might bite you on the arse".

I take Dorrington's responses on bikes personally. It is offensive to those who have lost their lives to pin the blame for motorcycle deaths on riders.

Maybe it is time to get more personal with Dorrington and have a ride to his house. I'm not suggesting anything disorderly, but it may send him and the media a stronger message that riders have had enough of his offensive ill informed comments and that it is time for him to go.

Comment

The direct link to the complaints form is HERE:

Office of Road Safety - Expression of Dissatisfactions or Complaints

Fill it out guys!
                            Here is the complaint I made:

Expression of dissatisfaction or complaint:
                            1) Grant Dorrington's incompetence and lack of qualifications for the job.
                            2) His bias against motorcycle riders.

Resolution requested:
                            1) Grant Dorrington to be stood down.
                            2) Motorcycle safety to be given priority - NOT lumped with the so called 'blanket approach' to road safety.
                            3) a new approach to road safety. The tired old chestnut of lower speed limits and larger fines (I just read Dorrington wants to quadruple fines) is clearly not working. They say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over always expecting the same result.
                            Time for a new chairman and new ideas.
                            "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

Dorrington definately needs to be replaced if for no other reason than to put a new face on the ORS, a face not associated with total failure.

Seriously, if you hand in the same homework (lower speed limits, higher fines/penalties) every day; year after year in primary school, they'll fail you.

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

Working...
                              X