Keep old bike or buy new one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep old bike or buy new one?

As my beloved 2006 R1 is in Melbourne and is going to cost me around $1200 to get back to Perth, I am thinking that I am best of selling it over there and getting a new one here.

I wanted to get a Ducati but it is out of my price range at the moment.

So it comes down to a Suzuki GSXR-1000 or a runout 07 R1.
    I have not ridden the Suzuki yet but I doubt I will be disappointed with the performance, however the styling lets it down.

I have ridden the 07 R1 in stock form and to be honest I prefer my (modified; termis+pc3+factory pro stax and bmc with a custom tune). The 07 seemed to have a bit of throttle lag and a very noticeable flat spot under 4k rpm so over all, despite the new engine supposedly having more torque, it felt a bit weaker. I have ridden 2 different 07's and the results were consistent. That and the substandard dash (compared to the 04-06) is putting me off a little.
    Did anyone else experience this with the 07 model?
    Has there been any changes to the 08 model's FI system that may improve this or is it just the really restrictive exhaust (dual cats) on the 07 that is doing this?

Give me your opinions

Bring the 06 back or start again?
    Last edited by ahh^one; 30-12-2007, 10:10 PM. Reason: Removed reference to poll

07 R1 < 08 R1
    The difference is stellar.

Comment

sell it to me.. I'll give ya $1000
      Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
        07 R1 < 08 R1
        The difference is stellar.
        I know probably the main difference is only the paint. However I know sometimes they make small changes that are seemingly insignificant unless one noticed an issue with that area on the previous model.

Comment

Mate, on paper they are identical numbers, but I have ridden both bikes, and the 08 doesn't have the lack of low down grunt that the 07 suffers from.
          It might just be fuelling and ignition, but I suspect it's a bit more than that.

Comment

Cool at least I am not imagining the 07's lack of lowdown grunt, if you say the 08 does not suffer from that, I think I need to ride it.
            I wish the 04-07's had the lowdown grunt of the 02/03s.

Comment

Yeah, nothing beats the '03 for low end, but the top end rush on the '08 is amazing.
              I was very upset with the '07, would never have bought one, but the '08 really is a different machine.

Comment

Originally posted by ahh^one View Post
                As my beloved 2006 R1 is in Melbourne and is going to cost me around $1200 to get back to Perth,
                I hope its not that much as a heap of us a shipping bikes over in March
                Real Men Ride Nakid
                http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

The 08 is actually a very different bike. They've improved it no end. I can't believe how good the 08 rides compared to the 07.

I had 07 demos a few times (with and without aftermarket exhausts) - never really did it for me. They gave me the 08 however... *giggles like a schoolgirl* Very different beast!

I did have the differences explained to me by a Yami mechanic - but to be honest my eyes glazed over and I started thinking about other things. A mechanic I am not! All I know is it's got more down low and midrange than the 07 and still kicks arse in the top end. That's all I care about!
                  "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

Keep it ... and buy a new one ... then race the second one
                    Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

08 R1 is much goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by millsy View Post
                        08 R1 is much goodness.
                        Bwahahahahahaha! Velcom to ze dark side my love!
                        "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

bah still waiting on new blade then i'll make a decision

Comment

Originally posted by millsy View Post
                            bah still waiting on new blade then i'll make a decision
                            the new blade looks like it was beaten with an ugly stick... it is a real shame it is not that common that the new model looks no where near as good as the old one.

IT is good to hear about the 08 R1, it makes me very happy. I love my Yamaha's and would find it hard to switch to another Japanese brand - swapping to an italian would be no issues except the cash.

Hewie, I would love to keep it and race it but if I was going to be >$30k in debt for a bike, I think I would have to buy a 1098 but the insuracne costs on a 30K bike would be far too high for me.

Comment

Flog the R1 off...

If you want Italian, have you thought about a 999S?
                              Or even better a 996SPS?
                              Or 996S, 996, 916SPS, 916SP, 916??

Lower price with still plenty of oomph......

Comment

Working...
                              X