Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK study shows speeding is 4% of crashes

Speeding one of the lowest causes of crashes

A new Government report has once again revealed that speeding is actually only a minor cause of motorcycle accidents.

The Government’s “Compendium of Motorcycle Statistics 2007” repeats earlier findings showing that exceeding the speed limit is put down as a contributory factor – and even then not necessarily as the main cause – of just four percent of bike crashes where some blame is put on the rider.
    The biggest factor is “failure to look properly”, a contributory factor in 15 percent of motorcycle crashes, followed by “loss of control” at 14 percent and “failed to judge other persons path or speed” at 11 percent.

“Careless, reckless or in a hurry” also rates at 11 percent, but this doesn’t mean actually breaking the speed limit.

“Exceeding the speed limit” was jointly rated as the bottom contributory factor, alongside “following too close”, also on four percent.

That comes despite surveys showing that large proportions of bikers do speed – the Government figures showing as many as 25 percent go more than 10mph over motorway speed limits– although a footnote reveals that even the report’s authors admit that the figures for speeding should be “interpreted with caution” as the number of bikes included in the survey was too small to give an accurate picture.

Other information in the report includes the fact the riders are less likely than other road users to drink and drive, with just 1.5 percent of those tested failing breath tests, against an average of 1.9 percent for all road users.

Wonder if anything will happen? Most likely not. More speed cameras should fix the problem, bigger fines. Not demerit points, we're only after the money, not safety, after all.

Demerit points are rather idiotic in the way they're issued anyway. 8kms over at the moment = fine and no points, 12 over = bigger fine and 4 points? All an increase in speed cameras is going to do is create an increased strain on the court systems, among other things.

Now I'm off to go a ride. Statistically, I'll probably be speeding so if someone hits me, it's presumably going to be my fault... I hope there's a speed camera nearby to protect me.

Comment

Then cut and paste the link and get it off to your local government representitive, the media and the ORS so they may share in the statistics....
      Real Men Ride Nakid
      http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

I know!

We can focus our entire road safety campaign on fighting that 4%.

With population growth running at around 3% (guessing) and infrastructure remaining pretty constant, we'll be sure to win vs the road toll!
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Seems the ORS are going to use an interstate advert to help with the road toll. Not the much talked about Bike campaigns that they have been reviewing for years but rather the 'little pinky' advert from NSW.

After all it's all about young men speeding isn't it?

This is in todays Worst Australian.
          Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

oh, the one that has been demonstrated to cause road rage?
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphen View Post
              Seems the ORS are going to use an interstate advert to help with the road toll. Not the much talked about Bike campaigns that they have been reviewing for years but rather the 'little pinky' advert from NSW.

After all it's all about young men speeding isn't it?

I remember that ad. Someone went to court over a road rage incident related to that ad - woman did the little pinky move, man did the "throw a bottle through her window" move, both went to court, man was fined $2000 and the judge blasted both of them for being stupid.

Just another case of how people are totally different when they get behind the wheel.
              Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphen View Post
                Linky? cant find the fugger, I fancy having a rant...
                Real Men Ride Nakid
                http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

Just typed this on the PerthNow site wonder if it gets up? (So to speak)

Seems the ORS after years of evaluating numerous adverts/campaigns in use interstate have decided to take the 'little pinky' advert from NSW to use here, obviously there hasn't been any evaluation on this one, but I suppose it's 'cutting edge' and controversial. Funny how when speeding is listed as the cause of a fatal in less than 4% of accidents we are going with another speeding advert? Plus this advert is sexist in that crash victims are evenly spread between the sexes, and yet we are going to target young men with this advert? Maybe they should make a derogatory advert for the ladies, Maybe girl speeds, guys cup their hands together, the message being that if a woman speeds she has a large loose vagina, say the message twice, coz obviously theres an echo. Yes obviously that would be unacceptable and sexist... my point exaclty.

There's no links to the article it's in the physical paper.....
                  Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

^^^lol ^^^

Somehow I doubt that it will get the posting that it truly deserves!

Comment

Maybe they should make a derogatory advert for the ladies, Maybe girl speeds, guys cup their hands together, the message being that if a woman speeds she has a large loose vagina, say the message twice, coz obviously theres an echo. Yes obviously that would be unacceptable and sexist... my point exaclty.
                      Come again.

Come again.

Comment

That's gold Gryphen
                        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

South Australia came up with 6 or 7% speeding couple of years ago although admittly a smaller population/sample where only a few will skew the%'s pretty quickly. You have to wonder when the current stratigy isn't working so we need more of the same starts to make sense.
                          Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

The sooner we accept that these initiatives have nothing to do with saving lives and everything to do with generating revenue and keeping certain depts in business the better we'll sleep at night. It's a lost cause and we can argue till the cows come home and it would not make one bit of difference.
                            Let's face it, people die from all sorts of causes and accidents is one of them. Despite all the hype the govt doesn't give a shit if a couple of hundred die on the roads. Significantly more people die yearly from alcohol, drug, junk food and lifestyle related diseases so what's another 200. That's life, shit happens so if we want to live then let's try to stay alive.

Comment

I have just shot this email off to the following people:

Main Roads <[email protected]>; City of Swan <[email protected]>; Alannah Mactiernan <[email protected]>; Alan Carpenters Office <[email protected]>; WA Ombudsman <[email protected]>

And I am continually adding names to the list as I have only just started it.

With the recent tragic accidents that have occured on our roadways and with myself checking this article found in the MCN publication, I emplore the Western Australian government to either sit up and take notice or run their own INDEPENDANT investigation into the accidents that have occured on our roadways.

The article can be found at the following location and is relevant to the United Kingdon however similar links can be found to occurances here in Western Australia.

Speeding only minor cause of motorcycle crashes - Motorcycle News - MCN

The article extracted:
                              Speeding only minor cause of motorcycle crashes

Politics & the law
                              31 December 2007 07:00

A new Government report has once again revealed that speeding is actually only a minor cause of motorcycle accidents.
                              The Government’s “Compendium of Motorcycle Statistics 2007” repeats earlier findings showing that exceeding the speed limit is put down as a contributory factor – and even then not necessarily as the main cause – of just four percent of bike crashes where some blame is put on the rider.
                              The biggest factor is “failure to look properly”, a contributory factor in 15 percent of motorcycle crashes, followed by “loss of control” at 14 percent and “failed to judge other persons path or speed” at 11 percent.
                              “Careless, reckless or in a hurry” also rates at 11 percent, but this doesn’t mean actually breaking the speed limit.
                              “Exceeding the speed limit” was jointly rated as the bottom contributory factor, alongside “following too close”, also on four percent.
                              That comes despite surveys showing that large proportions of bikers do speed – the Government figures showing as many as 25 percent go more than 10mph over motorway speed limits– although a footnote reveals that even the report’s authors admit that the figures for speeding should be “interpreted with caution” as the number of bikes included in the survey was too small to give an accurate picture.
                              Other information in the report includes the fact the riders are less likely than other road users to drink and drive, with just 1.5 percent of those tested failing breath tests, against an average of 1.9 percent for all road users.
                              We all know the Western Australian government is Anti-Motorcycle as is demonstrated by recent comments by Mr Grant Dorrington on an article published by the ABC, links can be provided if required. Also through my own painstaking research into accidents for all motor vehicles in Western Australia, speeding was not the highest cause of accidents whereas driver inattentiveness was. The Western Australian government does not acknowledge Driver inattentiveness as any cause of motor vehicle accidents, any report on motor vehicle accidents within the media is found to be stating speeding was found to be the cause of accidents.

There has been published articles finding the Western Australian government and the Office of road safety are discussing raising fines and points demerits yet again to somehow curb the ever increasing road toll. If I was employed and tried to provide the exact same solution to the exact same problem that had re-occurred numerous times I would be given the sack on the spot. You cannot justify keeping Mr Grant Dorrington and your current road safety strategy of increasing fines and punishments because they are not working. How long have the ORS been in power ? Every year they have been in power the road toll has increased.

I emplore the Western Australian government to see reason and speak to intersted parties like the MRAWA that actually care about road safety and have strong beliefs for the future of road safety in Western Australia to not be focused on prosecution and persuction of drivers and riders however to have a positive approach to education and continual education of drivers and riders. The continual education of all road users will have a positive effect on road safety and will reduce the occurance and severity of road accidents.

The time to act is now, make a positive change for 2008.

NAME
                              Doubt I will recieve a response apart from the usual 'Out of Office Reply'

Lol

Ben

PS - Ooh I forgot to send it to my friend Christabel Fernandes at the ORS! Better do that now to interrupt her lunch break.

Comment

Working...
                              X