Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying my 1st bike

High all,
    Its just a quick question, I am at this second looking to buy my 1st bike. So id like some advice on buying. What to look for and such. I have three bikes that i am considering.

ZZR 250
    ACROSS 250
    Hyosung GTR250

Ive sat on the Across and GT both pretty comfortable, what else should i be looking for in a bike?

Duke.N

The adventure starts where others may quit!

Tasmanian Motorbike Riders -TMR
    WWW.TASMR.COM
    Tasmania's own riding forum...

mmm they are all much the same i.e. 250's

the ZZR might leave you feeling like you need more power, the Across can make shopping easier, the Hyo is a Hyo, but looks the goods

I wouldn't get bogged down to much on what type of bike if you haven't already got something set in your mind, go for what seems like the best buy, you more than likely won't have it more than a year anyway

See you out there on a Learner - Newbie ride when you have purchased your bike and have done a few lessons. We're in your area on Thursday night, so why not stop in at HJ's at the Lakes shopping centre around 7.45pm and meet some of us, check out the thread in the 250 section.

Comment

Cheapness ... or better yet ... Cheap & Reliable. Get the one that appears to be treated well, is comfortable right off the bat (No mods required), and you will feel comfortable on for the next year. THEN ... spend your time daydreaming about what your first BIG bike is going to be (much harder decision)

Definitely recommend the Across tho.
      Originally posted by JuanGabrielle
      I snuffle some commanders, I boomerang and disport, I go to the despite. Susie Isaacs has a large collection of cheesier amoebas.

Comment

Check out the 07/08 250r ninja.

Comment

I was looking at all of those and in the end went for GPX250.
          From what i found the accross most were a bit old and worn.
          Hyosungs just didnt have enough people say go for it in relation to the issues i have heard.
          The zzr is close to a GPX with extra farings... More weight and stuff.

Its only gotta last year and still look good for resale so i got a good cond GPX '99. So resale shouldnt drop much.

Comment

or, if you want something that not 99% of other riders have, look at CBR250RR, RGV250, ZX-2R, etc

Comment

Consider a Honda VTR250 as well; great first bike to get going on.

Comment

i'll get slammed for this but... if you want a no bullshit runner for your first year, then get a Virago, Cheap, Reliable, don't lose value if you drop it there are more of them getting around and have looked the same since 1990. keep up with and go faster than traffic, i have been on a couple trips down south when i had mine and would be fine on those 110kph sections keeping ahead and away from traffic (@120)

my mate had an accross and i did liuke the storage but the fuel tank is the same size as the virago if i remember correctly and he had to fill up a fair bit...

just don't buy a brand new bike as it's only going to lose value really quick. and you only need it for a year.

good luck and let us know what you decide on!
                :awesome:

Comment

whatever you buy, it'll be your first true love.. even if it's an old hack !

( and you'll always have fond memories of it.. )
                  Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

Comment

What's the criteria? Cheap and/or newish? Old 'n cheap but reliable?

Those new ZX250's look trick. Six and a half grand I think they are too!
                    Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

Comment

There is no criteria at the moment. Just whats good and reliable, easy to maintain, repair n safe to ride... thats it really... Looking cool and going fast is something ill save for now, id rather learn to ride safely than stick my neck in the noose to soon if you get me.

Think ill go for comfort able and value for money at the moment. ill keep looking. Sadly wont be getting lessons or a bike for another couple of months now, as I am heading to Tasi n then Melb for 2 months... talk about edge of my seat. n now i have to wait a while longer. unless i get lessons in Vic... but they run a different system over there.

Duke.N

The adventure starts where others may quit!

Tasmanian Motorbike Riders -TMR
                      WWW.TASMR.COM
                      Tasmania's own riding forum...

Comment

if you get a Virago i want you to know that I will be sniggering in my helmet whenever I ride past you

moX

Comment

Originally posted by Team_750Z View Post
                          get a Virago, Cheap, Reliable, don't lose value if you drop it
                          In order to lose value, it would first need to have some sir.
                          such comment
                          wow
                          many post

Comment

Thing you should look for:
                            - 2 wheels
                            - Rides well
                            - Cheap to insure (if you want comprehensive)

The rest doesn't matter, it's all minor details in the grand scheme of things.
                            Just avoid bikes with 16 inch rims, they have very limited choice of tyres.

Comment

consider which sort of bike you'd like to graduate to, you have the potential to learn a lot more from a cbr250rr, zx-2 or rgv than the alternatives if you want to graduate to a sports bike.

my pick from the three you posted would be the zzr though.

Comment

Working...
                              X