"Kookaburra (avian variety) collision causes serious injury"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Kookaburra (avian variety) collision causes serious injury"

Just another reminder that it's not just other road users we have to look out for.

Kookaburra collision causes serious injury | NEWS.com.au

A WOMAN was critically injured after a kookaburra flew into a motorcyclist's visor in Melbourne.

The bird caused the motorcyclist to crash into a tree.
    The man in his 30s was riding in Montrose, east of Melbourne, at about 8pm (AEDT) when the king-sized native bird flew into him, blocking his vision, a Metropolitan Ambulance Service (MAS) spokesman said.
    "The motorcyclist collided with a tree, and his female passenger, in her 20s, was thrown off," MAS spokesman Ray Rowe said.
    "The girl sustained serious injuries and they thought that she might not make it (stay alive).
    "But she's stable now."
    The motorcyclist suffered a serious eye and back injury and he was taken to The Alfred hospital in a stable condition.
    His girlfriend was airlifted to the Royal Melbourne Hospital in a serious but stable condition.
    Last edited by Ryven; 05-01-2008, 05:50 AM.

farkin birds

Comment

Thanks for the warning - Poor rider and pillion. I've had some close calls with birds going 50-60 kms. You could imagine how at speed it would seem to come out of nowhere.
      Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them they die.

Comment

Out of interest - did the kookaburra make it? (Hit a 28 at around 120 out near Lancelin once - it didn't make it)
        sigpic

I used to have a handle on life......but it fell off!

Comment

phew. thread title had me worried. not our kookaburra.

Comment

Davey, I kinda thought the same thing.

Our Kookaburra is fine, and would cause way more damage if someone ran into him.
            2006 Yamaha R1SP;
            In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
            Amen, brother. Amen.
            My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Won't somebody please think of the Kookaburras!!
              Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                phew. thread title had me worried. not our kookaburra.
                thought the same thing maybe the title should be changed
                Is Dead

Comment

Originally posted by zzrgal View Post
                  Out of interest - did the kookaburra make it? (Hit a 28 at around 120 out near Lancelin once - it didn't make it)
                  I couldn't find anything about the Kookaburra, so I'm assuming the worst for him/her.

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                  thought the same thing maybe the title should be changed
                  Title is article title. But I'll change it.

Comment

I was going to ask about the bird but after the flaming I got for defending spiders!
                    Then I thought - the rider was unable to see - so kind of figured that may be because of bird splatter - but then thought that would not be well recieved either.

And since I've gone and stuck my neck out again - I don't think everyone and everything is trying to kill us - just that we happen to get in the way.
                    Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them they die.

Comment

At least it wasnt a bloody kookaburra cricket bat!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jomac View Post
                        And since I've gone and stuck my neck out again - I don't think everyone and everything is trying to kill us
                        That could well be your undoing.

Besides, spiders are creepy. Birds are cool.

Comment

Try a flock of pink and grey';s at 130km/hr.....and I remember talking to a sportsbike rider(gixxer thou) raving about his first ride to the north, to Coral Bay, and how fantastic the roads were for speed; then admitting to a close call with a wedgetail at 240...
                          " Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill"

Comment

Wedgetails are leathal when your in a car! On a bike would be pretty nasty ...
                            I love two strokes. Because they annoy the shit out of people. ^_^

Comment

Working...
                            X