Consider this Dorrington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consider this Dorrington

Details are a little sketchy, but reading into the report a little so i dunno what factors may have caused the crash, but sounds like a wire barrier has gone to town on a rider so badly that anyone who was anywhere near the accident needs counselling. Cant wait for more of these barriers to be installed:

Motorcyclist dies in horrific road smash

Monday Jan 7 06:44 AEDT
    A motorcyclist was killed in a crash on the Bass Highway near Devonport on Sunday that was so horrific counselling has been offered to emergency workers who attended the scene and any witnesses.
    Police believe the rider hit several posts on a wire barrier about 6.45pm (AEDT) on the Lillico Straight section of the highway at Devonport. The rider sustained severe injuries and died instantly.
    The motorcycle, a blue 1998 Honda CBR900, slid a further 200 metres and was destroyed when it crashed into a steel barrier.
    The rider is thought to have been travelling in the right lane when the accident happened.

The road was closed for more than four hours after the crash. Police from Ulverstone in Devonport, the forensic unit and the traffic and accident investigation unit attended the scene along with local State Emergency Service crews.
    "Due to the nature of the collision, counselling has been arranged for emergency services and police would ask any persons who witnessed the collision to contact the Burnie police station so that they can also receive counselling," a Tasmania Police spokesman said.
    Police have not released the name of the victim.
    A coroner's inquest has been opened into the circumstances of the accident.
    Minor delays are expected on the highway again on Monday as the investigation into the cause of the crash continues.

I take that the rider was taken to the morgue in a sack rather than a bodybag then.

Cheesegrater = bad.
    c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

Cheap to install.

Comment

If i was a little more nasty, I'd request that the coroner send copies of this accident scene to the ORS here in W.A. to truely show the 'impact' that such a device causes to the human body.

Shame Shame Shame, ORS - it's only a matter of time till you have the blood of a rider on your hands.. and there will be a god almighty protest from the riders of W.A. about your reckless abandonment of our wellbeing and safety, even though we've been trying to tell you're deaf ass department about this ongoing problem.

Let the liability begin !
        Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

Comment

Originally posted by Eukanuba View Post
          Shame Shame Shame, ORS - it's only a matter of time till you have the blood of a rider on your hands.. and there will be a god almighty protest from the riders of W.A.
          Why wait until someone dies............
          Real Men Ride Nakid
          http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

Link to original article?

Edit:
            Motorcyclist dies in horrific road smash : thewest.com.au
            Last edited by Jonchilds; 07-01-2008, 09:46 AM. Reason: Linky

Comment

Makes me wonder .... asshole lawyers like the one suing the Gin Gin shire for that lancelin crash ..... actually SHOULD have a field day sueing the shit out of the MRD (and you guys might want to redirect some of the hate off the ORS here, as they dont build roads, nor fund them) for a loved one getting split up by these bastard inventions.

For once it would actually do some good, shame it would be end result of death tho.

Comment

I know that straight so well....long, long gentle right hander (Devonport to Ulverstone).

Lost a mate of mine only a few hundred metres from that spot (1982)...his car failed to take a right hand 'sweeper' and slammed into a concrete wall that supported an overhead railway line. They could only identify him because of the rego plate on the car, and confirmed his travel with his parents (Ulverstone)...Rego, direction of travel, colour of car = identity. That never made the headlines, people never received counselling. His casket was as light as a feather. RIP Richard

It is a stretch of road that has such inviting corners, that you challenge yourself to go faster each time (well, we did in our younger years...guess I am lucky I knew my limits).

Link to story.... Dead motorcyclist may have been speeding: Police - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

RIP rider.
                Last edited by FJ Steve; 07-01-2008, 10:14 AM.
                Originally posted by Viper
                I'm probably fucking something up.
                FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
                Administrator

Comment

Are you suggesting that we should maybe do something a bit more vocal ? like organise an 'awareness ride' and contact local mp's ?

Sounds like a damn fine idea to me..

I wouldnt wanna die by being diced and sliced.. and I ride that freeway every day.. inches away from them, they scare the shit out of me everytime someone in a cage does something dicey.. where can i go ? definitely not into the sand.. that's for sure..

Comment

Originally posted by Eukanuba View Post

Shame Shame Shame, ORS - it's only a matter of time till you have the blood of a rider on your hands.. and there will be a god almighty protest from the riders of W.A. about your reckless abandonment of our wellbeing and safety, even though we've been trying to tell you're deaf ass department about this ongoing problem.

Let the liability begin !
                    Gov't hands are already blood stained - no awareness campaign = needless death and injury.

Comment

I have a new idea!

It will be just as effective at killing riders, and also more fun to watch on traffic cameras!!!

Please forgive dodgy MSpaint stylin'
                      c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

Sent to ORS. May draft a similar one to Main Roads later one.

To whom this may concern (if you are not concerned, pass it on to someone who is),
                        On Sunday, a tragic accident occured involving a motorcyclists colliding with a wire rope barrier on the Bass Highway in Tasmania.
                        The article is viewable through the following link: Motorcyclist dies in horrific road smash : thewest.com.au
                        It is apparent from the article that the injury sustained by the motorcyclist from the wire rope barrier was so horrific that emergency services personell have required counselling.
                        These barriers have been recently installed along extensive sections of road throughout and around Perth and present significant danger to the increasing number of motorcyclists on our roads
                        I believe one part of the new road safety strategy involves "Safe Roads and Roadsides". These wire rope barriers fall very obviously outside of that strategy, as they are inherently dangerous to motorcyclists (this has been well researched), and fail to restrain larger vehicles.
                        The Office of Road Safety should be advocating the replacement of these barriers with alternatives that better suit the needs of road users most vulnerable to inappropriate roadside furnishings in order to meet it's objectives as outlined in the new "Towards Zero" strategy.
                        Will this course of action be taken by the Office of Road Safety in 2008, on the back of the appaling statistics for motorcycle accidents and fatalities in 2007?
                        Looking forward to a considered response,
                        JonChilds.

Comment

Wasnt there an article on this, about wire rope barriers being banned in europe ?

Comment

Not sure if its been discussed on here or not, but after that crash where the guy went the wrong way on the freeway, there's been talk in the papers about installing one way ramps on the freeway entry's. Basically if you go the wrong way on it, it'll shred your tires. Does anyone know the implications for bikes? Granted, you shouldnt be going the wrong way on the freeway, but there are always extuating circumstances on occassion arent there?

I cant imagine having your front tire shredded even at 40k's would leave you injury free.

Comment

It would be like riding over a speed-bump with holes in it.

Oh, and it is possible to drive over those 'one way' barriers without shredding tyres if you really want to - you just have to do it nice and slow.

Comment

Working...
                              X