replaced brake pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replaced brake pads

I know for all you experinced riders this won't be a big deal, but it was for me.

I changed the rear brake pads on my bike for the first time yesterday. Did them on my ownsome too!

Shortsteve popped over, and checked them while he was here. Only thing was I hadn't bled them quite well enough...
    Still, it's a learning curve, and I was still pleased with my effort

awesome stuff nik.

massive " i can do it" satisfaction !

no "yeehaaaa" back wheel slides as you get to meets though or we'll be calling you a hoon

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Excellent, you on the way to saving $$ by completing
      run of the mill maintenance at home.

Comment

Congrats... I tend to wear the brakes out on the car very slowly so I never bothered with those, but it's on my list of things to learn about bikes.
        Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

Congrats!

Wait till you do the oil or change the chain. Then you'll be grinning

Comment

stoppers are on my list of things to try for the first time too. I've done an oil change, but brakes will be done sometime soon.

Comment

Always check around the calipers after a short ride for leaks after changing brake pads, as when the pistons in the calipers are pushed back by the new pads the seals can be damaged and leak fluid.

Found this out when attempting to wash off speed after new pads and found no brakes! Stayed on road and pulled up safely(?) But am now always cautious even when replaced by mechanics.
              They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

I was so proud! I can never be bothered doin stuff myself, but seeing the sense of achievement on Nik's face made me want to get more 'hands on'. She did a really good job, no spilt brake fluid , and all stuff seemed tight enough. Top effort. But your still a girl......

P.S. when trying to pump up the pedal (or lever) and bleed the line, just slightly tighten the nipple so there is some pressure still required, but fluid still passes through. This way the pistons will move until the pads contact and once there is some pressure the fluid will start to come out of the nipple. Congrats on the job, fronts done by thursday? Then i'll drop the zx10 around for a major service....
                yes, i am ignorant
                yes, i am a prick
                no, i don't care
                you make me sick

Comment

Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
                  I was so proud! I can never be bothered doin stuff myself, but seeing the sense of achievement on Nik's face made me want to get more 'hands on'. She did a really good job, no spilt brake fluid , and all stuff seemed tight enough. Top effort. But your still a girl......

P.S. when trying to pump up the pedal (or lever) and bleed the line, just slightly tighten the nipple so there is some pressure still required, but fluid still passes through. This way the pistons will move until the pads contact and once there is some pressure the fluid will start to come out of the nipple. Congrats on the job, fronts done by thursday? Then i'll drop the zx10 around for a major service....
                  dont you hate it when someone doesnt make a mess?

torq wrench is still here if you want to double check nik

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Bloody hell.

Watch out Derek, Kamahl and all the other mobile guys.

The PSB Girls are coming for you!!!

Nice one Nik!
                    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Thanks guys

By the way Steve, I'll play with your bike if you let me, just don't know if you"ll get it back at this stage in one piece though

May still check with the torque wrench, I will see how they go, and give them a check to make sure they aren't leaking...

Still learning, and now feeling like I'm gaining knowledge

Comment

Turbo install and nitrous by mid-year
                        yes, i am ignorant
                        yes, i am a prick
                        no, i don't care
                        you make me sick

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
                            Not sure if i have read that wrong or you have done a bad job of explaining it, but the way it sounds, you are saying leave the bleed nipple slightly open while pumping the lever. Thats wrong dude, that will suck air into the system each time you release the lever and you will never get it bled properly. pump lever with bleed nipple tight, hold lever in, then slowly undo nipple, about 1/4 turn, till fluid comes out but still takes a little pressure on lever to push fluid through, tighten nipple again while you still have pressure on lever and before its reached the end of its stroke or hit its stop, repeat till there is no air in the fluid in the clear tube you have attached to your nipple.

Good job Nik, well done

Comment

Not familiar with the VTR set up, but with the FZR and many brake callipers

(*my mechanical experience is mostly cars - only work on my bike i've done so far is remove front and rear sprockets and replace with new, remove chain replace with new, remove and replace rear wheel - so bike may vary in their component design)

...callipers... i have come across the hydaulic system does not need to be broken/bled, rather the pistons only need pushing back in usually requiring a brake calliper compression tool, new pads slipped in and calliper bolted back on, then the pedal/handle must be pumped but bleed nipple not required to be opened...

can anyone confirm this?

whilst being an avid (car) mechanic there may indeed be diference when copared to a bike, but machines being machines thay should be all the same? no?

"Redlines are merely suggestions"
                              "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

Working...
                              X