Advice on Buying a FZR250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Buying a FZR250

Hey guys, well I found a FZR250 for sale at a good price, just wondering what everyone thinks of these bikes?

Its a 1990 and has 61,000k's on the clock

reakons he spent about 1.1k on it for new carbies got the valves shimmed, battery and few other little things and says there is no mechanical problems starts well, runs fine and never been dropped...

Im a little wary about the amount of k's...

Anyone had any experiance with these bike? are they generally pretty good or would I expect to have alot of problems with it? or any other comments are welcome

Depends what he's asking for it, but i'd certainly consider it.

They're another option to the CBR250RR, and I think they share at least some critical components (pistons, rings, etc) with teh FZX250 Zeal, which was sold over here reasonably recently.

As to what problems to expect - it depends what condition the bike is in.

Bear in mind that it's 18 years old this year - think about how reliable the average 18 year old car is, and you have some idea of what to expect.

Bike engines are generally tough and there's a bit less to go wrong than on a car, but it's still OLD...

As to the amount of kays, if it has decent compression, doesn't blow oil smoke, etc I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be more concerned about things like radiator hoses, electrics, vacuum/fuel lines, chain/sprockets, steering head bearings, etc, etc all of the above may be deteriorated due to age and wear and tear.

My 07 600rr has >10,000km on it already... and it's barely 6 months old....
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Great little bikes. As good as a cbr250 but cheaper. Don't know of any major issues with them, as for the kays well I don't think that many should be too much of a worry but there are others who would know better than me in regards to this.

Age wise, well my first bike was an 88 spada and was as solid as the day it was built. Ride it and see if there's any rattles/noises that seem out of place, and if the power delivery has any flat spots.

how much?

Comment

Originally posted by Vipez View Post
        Hey guys, well I found a FZR250 for sale at a good price, just wondering what everyone thinks of these bikes?

Its a 1990 and has 61,000k's on the clock

reakons he spent about 1.1k on it for new carbies got the valves shimmed, battery and few other little things and says there is no mechanical problems starts well, runs fine and never been dropped...

Im a little wary about the amount of k's...

Anyone had any experiance with these bike? are they generally pretty good or would I expect to have alot of problems with it? or any other comments are welcome
        i owned an FZR250 for 2 years, bpught at 40000km put 20000km on it and all the metal ends were scuffed it had been rebuult maybe half a dozen times, i crashed it, rebuilt it and sold it in vgc with a full bottle of octane boost dumped in the tank.

the FZR250 i had was a tough bike. the guy who bought it off me rang me up once to ask about a blown tail light for christ sakes.

if its had its valves shimmed recently and isnt blowing smoke or dropped 2nd gear and there isnt any funny crunching/clattering noises and there isnt any oil leaks then it should run for another year i expect.

they are an old bike, get the fork oil refreshed, check the chain and sprockets replace if necessary and put some decent tyres on it.

if it wont start when hot without choke or throttle and there arent any reciepts to support the valve clearances being done then maybe it is suffering valve recession.

if you load the motor heavily at 2000rpm all the way through to 17k and hear a rattly clatter at 7000rpm and above it might need a timing chain. or a new bottom end its worth ~$1000. dont confuse pre ignition rattle with timing chain or bottom end though, they like high octane gas especially in summer.

they can be tricky to start when cold, thats ok/.
        Originally posted by Bendito
        If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

had one of these for over a year and had no probs with it at all. awesum bike

Comment

I've got one now and had it for 3 months. Havnt had any dramas with it and would reccomend it if its at a reasonable price, for the amount of k's i wudnt realy go over 3.5k or even 3k. Very nice bikes, alternative to a CBR and just as quick.

Comment

Go the FZR!!!!
              "Redlines are merely suggestions"
              "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

Sounds like a good bike then hopefully go check it out soon

Comment

Just wanted to say Thanks to everyone for their advice/opinions... I bought the bike today!

Can be seen here:
                  http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...33/#post724374

Comment

Working...
                  X