Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do dealers actually want to sell their bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do dealers actually want to sell their bikes?

After yet another expedition around town on Saturday I have come to the conclusion that some dealers are too attached to their stock to actually sell it.

Situation: 2 guys wanting to buy bikes, one with a trade, one without.

Mack 1 Midland:
    The other guy wanting to trade in his bike and was looking at an R1 they had there wanted to know how much he would get for his 1995 ZX-6R. Sales guy went and got the owner who went out and had a look but wouldn't give a price. His Reason? They were "too busy". Hmm, perhaps he was too busy trying to figure out new and interesting ways to annoy potential customers and make sure he didn't sell anything. First they said they didn't want it and then when the bike owner asked if he would said he wanted $500 for it they wouldn't take it for that and the answer was "I didn't say that" followed up by a "Well, how much then" ... "well, we're too busy to put a price on it at the moment." (or pretty similar to that anyway). (Further information, this bike sold for $4500 out of the Quokka the next day).

Still at Mack 1: Wanted to take a 2000 ZX-9R for a test ride but as it was on consignment I could not take it for a test ride unless I put money on the table which a few minutes later became at least signing up a Contract of Sale, however the sales guy did say that I could probably ride a 1998 ZX-9R there so I knew what it a 2000 ZX-9R was like. WTF???? Never mind the fact that a 2000 does does not ride the same as a 1998 but personally I would much rather test ride the bike I was going to buy rather than some other bike even if it was actually the same model. Ok, maybe I wasn't insured for riding a bike on consignment (I have no idea how consignment works so corredt me if I am wrong here) but what's the deal telling me to ride a different bike because then I would know what the one for sale was like.

Midland Suzuki (or whatever it is actually called):
    The other guy looking for a bike was interested in an R1 that they had there so we waited a few minutes for one of the 2 sales guys that was there. After about 10 minutes we got to ask him if he could take it for a test ride but apparently that sales guy didn't deal with sport bikes (even though he was just talking to someone else about GSXR's) and that we had to speak to the other sales guy about a test ride but he was busy and could we maybe go away and kill some time and come back in 30 minutes. Nope - sorry - we had other bike stores to go to and hopefully find a dealer that actaully wanted to make a sale.

Motorcycle City Vic Park:
    4 or 5 weeks ago I took a Yamah R1 for a test ride that seemed ok and I was half interested in it. At the time I was told it was $12000 and it has also been in the AutoTrader since then for $11990. The tyres look a bit shagged on it and one of the guys I was with also pointed out a bit of a dodgy chain when we rolled up there. Anyway - we got there and I asked the guy how much movement they had on the price and was told they wouldn't go below $12500. WTF??? Obviously putting the price UP will make it sell quicker. This is obviously why I am not a salesman because I thought that putting the price up would have taken longer to sell it. ANyway - after ducking into Hartley's to say G'day to a mate of mine (G'day Sambo - you still owe me some Wild Turkey's! ) a couple of the guys I was with decided to go and give the sales guy hell for their pricing techniques. By the time I came out he was willing to actually consider coming back down to the advertised price. I offered $12000 with a set of tyres to which the sales guy ad a look at the tyres and asked me what was wrong with them. Hmmm, maybe he wasn't looking at the same tyres I was looking at and all of the guys I was with agreed with me. Ok - let's ask again ... new tyres, $12000 and I'll take it. Still no. Hmm, oh well, maybe in another 5 weeks they'll put the price up again in order to sell it.

Prestige Honda:
    Service?? What the hell? Am I actually in a bike shop where they are prepared to give me decent service?? FINALLY!! Firstly just let me say thanks to the sales guy there for not being a complete knobhead and actually showing me some bikes and prepared to do a deal on price (although is still a little further than I htink I can stretch myself at the moment). If they had have had a bike I was after in my price range I probably would have signed up just based on service alone! Ended up taking a 954 out which was either setup all wrong for me or I just didn't like it as I just couldn't quite get the hang of the feel of it so couldn't push it or give it much of a test ride but this is probably more to do with adjusting the settings than the bike itself.

We did go to a few to other dealers obviously but this is just the rundown of dealers that had bikes we were looking at.

Ok - I feel better now.

PS - If you're a dealer and I come in looking for a bike - Do me a favour and try to at least act like you want my business!

Im not going to get started on this one.

Im glad you found a shop that works well for you. Good stores, with good service should be rewarded!!!

Comment

Good to hear the boys at Prestige helped you out.
      As for the rest of the f*&%ers, you've really given me hope for the near future when i do the rounds for a new bike. . . . :?
      Thanks for your post - i know now where not to waste my time :evil:
      you eat ships
      you taste wrong
      you isolate and desolate
      you are not home to man;
      yours is the
      subtlest beauty.

Comment

Well I guess I will start on this one...

I can understand your frustration... however you have not posted the facts... you have drawn your own conclusions and opinions, which everyone is entitled to.

You have also included a lot of sarcasm in your post, which i'm not sure if you are trying to be informative or humourous.

Bike shops are busy especially with the onset of summer. You said that Savage Suzuki (Midland) were able to speak to you in 30 mins... but you declined, and went elsewhere. If you decline and decide to go elsewhere dont complain about it... you made the choice.

I totally agree with you on the frustration about the R1's price going up. I simply would have asked to speak with the manager/owner of the shop and asked "WTF?"

Dont get me wrong... I think its great when people write their experiences on here about the local bike shops... GOOD OR BAD. However, please try to stick to the facts and try not to "add value" to the negative side of things.
        If you can... you MUST!

Comment

Klink may know where you can get an R1
          I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

Comment

Or you could have just started with Prestige and not wasted your whole day.

#151, why oh why don't you sell bikes too brother
            1, Always look good
            2, Always know what you're doing
            3, In failure of step 2 refer to step one

Comment

Klink may know where you can get an R1
              Hehe yes... very funny but its NOT for sale... its my new race bike.... I call him "Racey Trogdor!"
              If you can... you MUST!

Comment

THE BURNINATOR?
                Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

Well I guess I will start on this one...
                  Dont get me wrong... I think its great when people write their experiences on here about the local bike shops... GOOD OR BAD. However, please try to stick to the facts and try not to \"add value\" to the negative side of things.
                  I thought I did post the facts. Usually I don't go down the track of making posts about things such as this but this one I just couldn't let go.

What I posted was actually what happened. Yes, there was a bit of sarcasm there but there was no "added value". At Savage Suzuki the guy we actually spoke to had just previously been speaking to 2 others about the price of bikes andwhile we waited, specifically GSXR's and also about a 600 that they had in stock. Why he could not have at least filled out or got the guy wanting a test ride to fill out a test ride form I do not know. Even offering to wheel it out or start it up would have been a start. Surely he could have at least showed partial interest in the sale. We always planned to go to several stores around town and just killing time waiting for someone else seemed pointless when there were other stores around that we could go to that may show more interest.

I re-read my original post and factually - it is correct. I have posted the sarcastic comments below, so whatever is left behind is what happened and you can then make up your own mind. The only difference may be that I didn't get the EXACT wording of the conversations correct but basically what they said is the same same as what I posted. Yes, the guy at Mack 1 did really say "too busy" when asked to give a price on the trade in, I did not just throw that in. Yes, I really was told to ride a different bike to the one I was looking at buying. Yes, we did decline an offer to come back in 30 minutes to look at a bike. That one may just be the fact that we prefered to deal with some one that at least gives the impression of wanting our business.

Removed sarcasm:

"Hmm, perhaps he was too busy trying to figure out new and interesting ways to annoy potential customers and make sure he didn't sell anything."

"Obviously putting the price UP will make it sell quicker. This is obviously why I am not a salesman because I thought that putting the price up would have taken longer to sell it."

"Hmm, oh well, maybe in another 5 weeks they'll put the price up again in order to sell it."

"Service?? What the hell? Am I actually in a bike shop where they are prepared to give me decent service??"

Comment

F... That ! Go private!!

Good story!

Comment

haha nice read there buddy.. glad you went to that effort to inform us all about your experiences, its always welcome

Comment

Woodz, its all cool... my point was that what might have been easily decipherable sarcasm to YOU could very easily fall prey to the "written internet misunderstanding syndrome".

I totally understand what you've gone thru.. I didnt mean to be so harsh in my comments.

Thanks for posting tho... and i'm glad you're still out there looking eagerly.

One note on the testride of the 954... I pretty much did the same about a year ago... I test rode the Gixxer K3, then the 03 R1, then the 954. I could barely tell the difference between the K3 and the R1, but when I rode the 954 it felt very sloppy and nasty.
                        If you can... you MUST!

Comment

Woodz, its all cool... my point was that what might have been easily decipherable sarcasm to YOU could very easily fall prey to the \"written internet misunderstanding syndrome\".

<snip>

One note on the testride of the 954... I pretty much did the same about a year ago... I test rode the Gixxer K3, then the 03 R1, then the 954. I could barely tell the difference between the K3 and the R1, but when I rode the 954 it felt very sloppy and nasty.
                          That's cool man! After your post, just thought I would remove the sarcasm and follow up just so that anyone that wasn't sure (as you said) knew that it wasn't embellished! I'm a pretty big believer in buying through places that are happy to provide service and making sure they get repeat business which was one reason for my post. The 1st ZX-9 I bought was actually bought from Northside but had to get shipped from Hartley's because they pissed me off and I refused to buy the bike from them. Ended up signing up about 30 minutes later at Northside and the bike I ended up with was shipped up from Hartley's! ... But that's a whole other story.

With that 954, I think a lot of it might have been the way it was setup. Ride height seemed to be pretty high up and I could not see any of the speedo looking through the screen without moving my head down to look under the screen. Also I had to reach over a lot more for the clutch lever than I did for the brake lever and the rear brake and gear lever positions seemed to have been adjusted up as well and basically I was far from being at home on it. It seemed completely different to ride than anything else I have ridden and being as that was the first 954 I have ridden I was not sure if it was that particular bike or just the 954's in general.

Comment

its the 954 in general Woodzzter... they lack the "ass phuckering" that other sports bike deliver

Comment

they lack the \"ass phuckering\" that other sports bike deliver  
                              You sure you meant that 'h' to be in there CAD? :roll:

Comment

Working...
                              X