Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utility tie-down kits for bikes.

Not a bike question, but is bike related:

Well, I've been looking into getting something like this: Ford Australia - Falcon Ute Accessories

So the questions I have: Price, is it worth the $444 including fitting? - It doesn't sound too bad to me given it's labour inclusive and not going to cause warranty dramas...

I've also noticed that it doesn't include the tie-downs themselves. I was able to search for that, and found this thread: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...e-downs-49809/, but there was nothing really conclusive as the best place to buy them, so if any ute/bike trailer owners have found something worth buying, or downright shitty to warn me about it'd be very much appreciated.

Another concern is fairings. In future it probably won't be so much of a problem, given I tend to favour nakeds/cruisers, but the ZZR is faired. Any tips for protecting the fairings from the tie downs, maybe a thick softer material between fairing and cable that isn't going to cause major slippage.

I can't comment on the ute attachment, I just use the rails on the outside of my tray (Rodeo ute). To be honest, for the hassle, and like you mentioned, the warranty issue, the price doesn't sound too ridiculous. Although you probably could get any decent fabricator to knock you something up for half the price.

As for straps, I use these. I've seen these exact ones in bike stores in Perth a few times now, but most stores should stock a decent equivalent. They're well worth the money, because they make tying down the bike really easy.

And a rag stuffed between and fairings and the straps should stop any rubbing damage.
    FTP

Comment

I was looking at the kit for my XR ute but just haven't got around to getting it sorted. It's an excellent price for what you get, especially seeing it is fitted. Parts alone wholesale are more than that.I have rails the whole length of my tray so at least have something to tie down the bikes to at the moment.

I use a set of ratchet straps for the motard and LuLu's GPX and a set of thick dirtbike tie downs for the dirties.I just use a doona over the bike when tying down the GPX

Comment

Originally posted by BigTim View Post
        As for straps, I use these. I've seen these exact ones in bike stores in Perth a few times now, but most stores should stock a decent equivalent. They're well worth the money, because they make tying down the bike really easy.

And a rag stuffed between and fairings and the straps should stop any rubbing damage.
        Cheers, they're a lot wider than what I was expecting which looks pretty good. Do you have any idea what weight they're rated for?

Originally posted by taint View Post
        I was looking at the kit for my XR ute but just haven't got around to getting it sorted. It's an excellent price for what you get, especially seeing it is fitted. Parts alone wholesale are more than that.I have rails the whole length of my tray so at least have something to tie down the bikes to at the moment.

I use a set of ratchet straps for the motard and LuLu's GPX and a set of thick dirtbike tie downs for the dirties.I just use a doona over the bike when tying down the GPX
        I was looking at getting the rails too, just not as urgently. Did you go with the ones Ford offer, or through a third party? - The ones on the site only seem to go part way in the photo: http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/BlobS...ail&blobkey=id and the price becomes more questionable given it's a pretty standard part.

An old doona/rags should be easy enough to wrangle up.

Comment

those are the rails, they run the whole length of the tray. Got it like that from the dealer. I also got a front and rear rail that could be used for tie down points but I removed them because they ruined the look of the ute

Comment

Originally posted by taint View Post
            those are the rails, they run the whole length of the tray. Got it like that from the dealer. I also got a front and rear rail that could be used for tie down points but I removed them because they ruined the look of the ute
            Nice. 'Tis my new toy, so I'm trying to get it how I want it as quickly as possible.

Now I'm told I need wanky stickers like this: BULL HORNS 60cm - Vinyl Decal / Sticker Car LONGHORN - eBay Decals, Decals, Badges, Detailing, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 27-Feb-08 16:02:13 AEDST), way too many massive aerials, a sticker of Calvin pissing on a Holden logo, and I'm all set.

Comment

give me a yell if you want to see what the rails look like as I am 5 minutes from your place, ignore the shit condition of the tray liner though, it cops a beating and is constantly having 2-stroke and whatnot spilled on it, better it than the metal though

Comment

Cheers. Will see if the dealership have any, if not it'd be appreciated if I could have a look.

Edit: Ah, wasn't sure exactly where this fit, cheers for the move.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryven View Post
                  Do you have any idea what weight they're rated for?
                  I have NFI what the exact number is, but I'd imagine it would be on the side of the box, if you can find some. From memory, the straps are about as wide as the 1 tonne webbing ratchet straps we have at work, so I'd assume the number wouldn't be too far off that.
                  I reckon you'd struggle to find a bike that'd be too heavy for these mate
                  FTP

Comment

Originally posted by BigTim View Post
                    I have NFI what the exact number is, but I'd imagine it would be on the side of the box, if you can find some. From memory, the straps are about as wide as the 1 tonne webbing ratchet straps we have at work, so I'd assume the number wouldn't be too far off that.
                    I reckon you'd struggle to find a bike that'd be too heavy for these mate
                    That's what I like to hear.

Comment

Supercheap Auto have a comprehensive selection of tie downs.

Comment

Don't buy cheap tie-downs. They cause more problems than they solve. Buy proper MC ones. They are a lot more durable and don't slip like the cheap ones do

Comment

got a XG ute, use the brackets welded to the tray to attach tie downs. towed heaps of bikes on it, never lost one yet.................
                          'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.' - Robert M. Pirsig

Comment

funny this should come up, I was looking at that exact page on the Ford site earlier this evening. "Tie down kit $444, tie downs not included". what a joke.
                            bollocks to paying $444. plenty of much MUCH cheaper options out there.
                            This is the company that wasnt you to pay $895 for an alloy sports bar: that "Adds a sporty 'tough' appearance". Its a piece of aluminium tube, ffs.
                            get stuffed ford.
                            I WAS considering an XR6 ute. Might go for something practical after all.

Comment

I'll admit its a rip off for the sports bar but the tie down set is not too bad when you start adding in components and labour.

It just depends how good you want it to look, my setup works but can be a pain in the arse to sort out when you have 2 bikes and gear in the back

Comment

Working...
                              X