Laverda 1200 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laverda 1200 build

In 2014 I picked up a very rare mint condition Laverda SFC 1000, one of I think 12 that came into the country. I sold it back to the original owner earlier this year after adding 4000kms to its original 8000. He wanted it back so why not. Loved the bike and everything about it but my bikes get used and abused. That bike needed a curator and not some maniac that might spit it down the road.

So I picked up this:

The plan is to turn it into something I can ride day and night, lean up against a tree when camping and most importantly, not be a slug and keep up with modern bikes.
    The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

nice. i like a build thread..... do you have an ideas upfront what you want to do to make it "not be a slug"? are you talking tyres weight suspension handling wise ? As you've already had one you must have some knowledge on how to do that already?
    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Frame has already been trued and braced. The plan is GSXR1100 wheels for greater tyre selection. CES racing exhaust system. Lightened crank, Carrillo rods, a cam I cant remember the name of, higher compression domed pistons, mikuni flat slides, full carbon body and tank.

but let's not get ahead of ourselves. These things take time

Comment

Remember the Orange coloured Jota's? very popular back in the day as a serious speed machine, nowadays same price range as original Z900's I'd say.

Laverda's were always rare so I'm surprised to see this in Perth. Best looking part of the bike is the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Crim View Post
          Remember the Orange coloured Jota's? very popular back in the day as a serious speed machine, nowadays same price range as original Z900's I'd say.

Laverda's were always rare so I'm surprised to see this in Perth. Best looking part of the bike is the engine.
          Worldwide there is an enthusiastic owner base including parts manufacture so keeping them on the road is not too hard. some of the late 70's QC was sketchy, with porous castings and the like. Mines a 180 crank and engine in pretty good condition so a good starting point for a full rebuild. A pretty plain looking bike and an odd shade of green but we'll turn it into something special.

The Jotas are getting crazy prices as are the early SFC's.

There's quite a few in the west including my last one:

Comment

There is progress on the 1200 engine front... The crank has been lightened and is awaiting new bearings to arrive before dummy build so it can be balanced. The picture is of PAC alloy dual valve springs. Top and bottom plates have been machined up to suit.

https://i.imgur.com/50YdKYd.jpg

Last edited by AZAZL; 20-09-2019, 03:00 PM. Reason: EDIT: This thread should probably be in the build section but I dont know how to do it.

Comment

Speaking of Laverda, if anyone spots a 750 Sport Formula for sale, please let me know.
              Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

An update. Well the engine has been built and the frame is now off for powdercoating. Looks like the bike will be finished this year...

Would post pics but too hard

Comment

Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
                  An update.
                  Would post pics but too hard
                  So you arent making it into a cafe racer then 🤔�?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Augastus View Post

So you arent making it into a cafe racer then 🤔�?
                    No... Crustry old style 80's Redaxed engine ready to go into frame.

Comment

Working...
                    X