L7 GSXR1000 - ongoing review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L7 GSXR1000 - ongoing review

I imagine this is going to come off like a fan-boi thread but I will try to stay as objective as I can and will disclose what I find...anyway, enjoy.

I've owned the bike a little over 10weeks at this stage and have wracked up almost 7000km, taken it to the track, commuted to work, ridden in the country and traveled on the highway at the speed limit(that was pretty horrible and not something I enjoyed at all lol) for long enough. I think all this gives me some experience, if not insight, with the bike.

Lets get straight to it...I love the bike.

Price was/is awesome for the package you get and you do get a whole lot of bike for the money. I grabbed the standard model rather than the "R" for purely financial reasons and in due course I would like to upgrade the suspension of my bike to the R's higher grade forks and shock...or something of that caliber...however, there is nothing else that appeals to me in the R version.
    The standard model comes with the bi-directional quick-shifter as a sweetener to clear Suzuki Australia's stocks and it is a bloody nice sweetener indeed. it works in conjunction with the IMU, TC, TPS and all the other gadgetry to do the right thing for you...without the clutch. And as long as you have the throttle "open" or "closed" at the shift it will act accordingly. I'm still finding my way here a little in an effort to get it perfect but I haven't had a false neutral, it hasn't dropped out of gear, it is simple to use and performs very well. I have had a couple of "long cuts", for want of a better description, and I will keep working my through it to see if it's the bike or me.

The bike is really planted with the stock settings and setup is perhaps a little hard for general daily use but I like it and haven't changed much other than backing off the pre-load on the shock a little to help with me get my feet on the ground more. My pillion says the bike is too hard in the rear for long trips.
    It tracks very well in the corners and the more you get "into" the bike the more it encourages you...I found the bike doesn't like to coast in corners and really rewards your inputs, throttle or trailing brake...just NOT nothing.
    I can ride at 40 when required and there is no complaint, there's torque to pull away if/when required in any gear and the bike is much easier to ride as a commuter as a result.
    Power delivery is very linear and smooth and I am still learning to trust in the TC and just pin it coming out of corners.

The brakes work really well on the street and in the country but they tend to fade on the track. I'd guess this is due to the rubber hoses and I will be changing the lines as soon as I can.

The bike is so easy to work on.

This is an ongoing thing so I'll come back to the thread.
    All I've got and more for #294...RIP Chris Adley
    #158...RIP James Thompson

Originally posted by Ryanoceros
    Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter

Things I don't like;

The front indicators stay on, solid, as DRL's which I think is a recipe for disaster. I can imagine a driver, in a rush, glancing at the bike and seeing the Amber light...mistaking it for an indication of the riders intent to turn.
    I have found some replacement LED indicators that run a solid white DRL at the front and a solid red DRL at the rear...stay tuned

The "Pass" light is much brighter than the high-beam. I have looked at the option of replacing the globes with better/brighter ones and there are a few options out there...stay tuned.

Rubber brake lines...there are a couple of Line Kits out there and that will be sorted soonish...stay tuned

Wooohoo !! Fucking 10/10 ride. Cheers for that Aari, you really conditioned my sphincter

Comment

Mods;

Light-cover
      Stomp Grips
      Stomp Grip tank protector
      Radiator guards
      Pickup spools
      Driven axle adjusters
      90deg valve stems
      Mustard Bikes fender elliminator
      GB Racing case covers
      GB Racing water pump cover
      Grips
      Yoshi can
      R&G Second Skin
      R&G Second Skin Screen Protector
      Last edited by =Maz=; 01-11-2019, 08:35 AM. Reason: Adding bits I forgot

Comment

Thanks for putting this up. The bike in the flesh is not much to look at IMHO but not ugly like some of the other current offerings from Japan.

You may or may not be aware of this guy I subscribe to, he has one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO2...lHVOuBu5dBm6mQ

Comment

Cheers Crim, I haven't seen this guys vids before so I'll have a look.

I actually think it's one of the better looking bikes out there but that's why we have different options...and individual boners. lol

Comment

I've had a fiddle around with the TC on the bike, having never had that riders aid in the past, and I'm starting to trust it a little more...but still have a long way to go.

I was running 3, of ten, and the front almost never lifted more than enough to get the front light. Never one to make the smart decisions I dialed it down to 1 and went out for a play...err, no. I pussied out and backed off...that felt a little higher than I can trust yet.
            The great thing about the electrics on the bike is they can be changed on the fly.
            Changed it to number 2 and the front will lift when I want it to and i'll leave it there while I build some trust in it before changing it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Crim View Post
              You may or may not be aware of this guy I subscribe to, he has one of these.
              Holy fuck...this guy has more money than I can shit or he gets his extras for free due to promotion.
              Carbon Fiber rims, full race system, complete custom suspension, Gilles Tooling rearsets, etc, etc

He's hardly able to offer a decent review on the bike because he's changed everything on/in the bike. Seems a bit daft to me...but if you've got more money than I can shit, spend it how you want. lol

Comment

Working...
              X