Where has PSB gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crim View Post
    A lot of the regular posters have disappeared which seems strange, even accounting for the site issues. I'm not a serious poster but did enjoy reading other peoples opinions on various subjects inside & outside of biking. I was a regular visitor to the site.
    Rogue or bullshit posters didn't help, I'm looking at "Lilbuono" or "Cool Harley Guy" They were good for laughs but pissed off people too, perhaps devaluing the site as a source of biking info.

I hope some of the original posters come back but it's been quiet for a while now.
    There is no llbuono he was killed in 1988 cool harley i have never heard of but llbuono he was something else he would be over 70 if he was still alive.

Comment

He's Baaaack.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly.999 View Post

There is no llbuono he was killed in 1988 cool harley i have never heard of but llbuono he was something else he would be over 70 if he was still alive.
        Quoted as you seem to know who Crim was referring to when he wrote "Lilbuono." You even got the spelling & capitalisation right. Knew it would only be a short term thing.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackFZR View Post
          pnork pretty much has it. But in more detail below.

Forum decline began in ~2012, with the rising popularity and ease of use of Facebook. A lot of people that used to post regularly on PSB, but wanted to exclude anyone that they deemed a waste of time (part of the nature of any community once it gets above a certain number of people) transitioned across to facebook to organise their rides, events etc, as it meant they didn't have to post it to a wider community that they didn't know from a bar of soap or deal with the random posting and madness associated with the anonymity of an online forum.

Alongside this, if you consider the GFC began to see a reduction bike sales to new riders (i.e. first time bike owners), as well as the escalation and more regular enforcement of draconian road rules (hoon laws), there was a general decline in the wide variety of group rides, and new riders joining the community. Additionally the demographic that grew up using forums had a lifestyle change (relationships, kids, more senior roles at work) which saw them use it less frequently, and the newer riders prefer the new communication media of facebook.

Due to other commitments, ~2014 PSB lost it's actively engaged administrators (programmers) that kept the forum software updated and running, which lead to it's first significant crash in late 2016 while running a now redundant VB4 forum software. With some help from two newly appointed admin's this was resurrected and continued to limp on for another 2 years.

The beginning of 2019, the forum database crashed again. The database was saved, however the VB4 interface unable to be recovered. Again due to no available admins, as well as the costs to independently host the forum, the forum was rolled over and became hosted by VBulletin, who now complete all the back-end updates etc. Now there is only a single active administrator with restricted access to parts in the backend (me).

So if you take into account the general downturn in the motorcycle industry, understandable ease of interface and ability to ignore people you don't agree with / like provided by facebook, change in lifestyle of the majority of previous users due to age, seniority of positions at work, kids & marriage, as well as the change in the forum itself due to lack of maintenance / support at the back end, you get to where we are now.

Could it be recovered? I think with the concerted efforts of a lot of people over a few years, it quite possibly could, but I'm passively waiting for people to do more than ask "what happened, I don't like what it is now", and instead start saying "How can I help get it back to what it was". Will people be happy to wait for that to occur over a period of time, or get disenchanted within 3, 6 or 12 months?

The intent right now is to continue supporting the cost of the forum side of PSB for an additional 12 months. If the income through supporter /sponsor subscriptions or sales of some sort doesn't improve over the next 12 months so that I don't continue to pay it out of my own pocket, the forum will be shut down, and PSB will just become a page and group on facebook.
          Thanks Tim...I’m still gobsmacked at how much you do for the local motorcycling community, my Shoei is doffed to you, sir.

It seems like a great time to try and regain some sense of community? Doesn’t take much, just post what ya got...

Comment

I check this from time to time, but once the people have gone they have gone. Without engagement all the non participating members have nothing to see, and participation is sparse as there isnt much going on. Perhaps running weekling socials will reinvigorate the site, but that needs organisation. i stopped going to socials after i had to pay for some piece of shit bike repairs for some shitty 250 who decided to stop in the middle of the corner and i tapped the rear tire cause them to fall to the side. Scratches cost a pretty penny apparently, so fuck it, not going ot risk my bank again for some noob riders inability to hold their bike upright after a light tap. This isnt just me, a few long term riders stopped because of these reasons. Riding with people you know is easier as you can expect certain behaviours, expecting inexperienced riders to do the same is lunacy.

Without the rides, there is no social scene, and without social aspect why would the forums be used, when fb has been bloated with riding groups and niche cliques of riders, its essentially the same as a forum, just easier as the front page scroll of fb allows for anytime participation.

Comment

How can I help? Going to take a big effort in the current environment!
              Have a go, remember a novice built the Ark and the experts built the Titanic!

Comment

Despite not having a bike anymore and little chance of it changing anytime soon I will still make an effort to come on and make a difference....not necesseraly for the better though....
                Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
                  Despite not having a bike anymore and little chance of it changing anytime soon I will still make an effort to come on and make a difference....not necesseraly for the better though....
                  Why did you sell your bike?
                  Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
                  remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
                  Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
                  Who died while defending his right of way;
                  He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
                  But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Augastus View Post
                    I check this from time to time, but once the people have gone they have gone. Without engagement all the non participating members have nothing to see, and participation is sparse as there isnt much going on. Perhaps running weekling socials will reinvigorate the site, but that needs organisation. i stopped going to socials after i had to pay for some piece of shit bike repairs for some shitty 250 who decided to stop in the middle of the corner and i tapped the rear tire cause them to fall to the side. Scratches cost a pretty penny apparently, so fuck it, not going ot risk my bank again for some noob riders inability to hold their bike upright after a light tap. This isnt just me, a few long term riders stopped because of these reasons. Riding with people you know is easier as you can expect certain behaviours, expecting inexperienced riders to do the same is lunacy.
                    Their fault? Their fault you have slow reactions, their fault you were riding too close behind to avert hitting them? The only thing that is their fault is owning a "shitty 250" What may I ask did you start out riding on? You yourself said "Riding with people you know is easier as you can expect certain behaviours, expecting inexperienced riders to do the same is lunacy." so why didn't you maintain a safe distance? Lunacy?

As for PSB. It is a shame it is what it currently is. Had a look at the FB and personally it is worse than this. The layout and all. I hope something can be done to revive this page but what, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by acdcfan View Post

Why did you sell your bike?
                      Not riding much and the last accident really made me think...maybe I'll get an M50 cruiser so I can ride a bit slower.
                      Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Not riding much and the last accident really made me think...maybe I'll get an M50 cruiser so I can ride a bit slower.
                        Mate, I didn't think it was possible for you to ride much slower

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly.999 View Post

Ha Ha, were you the one that put up the sign "RIP Ilbuono" on one of O'Briens corners?
                          I have to say I had a laugh when I saw that.
                          RIP indeed, he was one fucked in the head troll.

Busa Steve, continue to rage at the dying light, life is too short. Where you ride & hazard id is critical.

Comment

When did you have an accident? Was that on the MT-10? Sorry to hear
                            I only took mine out for the 1st time in a while as my son wanted to go on the back for the 1st time in a couple of years, wasn't that far just to a few shops etc maybe 50km's but was good to get back on the old girl
                            Oh and +1 on what Pnork said
                            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                            Originally posted by Phildo
                            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                            Originally posted by filbert
                            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Yep i have not had a bike for the first time in a longgg time for 2 years i still ride one albeit a ct110 been a postie for over 20 years so have not checked in for a while,i'll try to change that...

Comment

Originally posted by datsikk View Post
                                Their fault? Their fault you have slow reactions, their fault you were riding too close behind to avert hitting them? The only thing that is their fault is owning a "shitty 250" What may I ask did you start out riding on? You yourself said "Riding with people you know is easier as you can expect certain behaviours, expecting inexperienced riders to do the same is lunacy." so why didn't you maintain a safe distance? Lunacy?

As for PSB. It is a shame it is what it currently is. Had a look at the FB and personally it is worse than this. The layout and all. I hope something can be done to revive this page but what, I don't know.
                                Lol, so much energy, what is your view on my situation. You think your hindsight is 20/20, pelase teach me how to predict all actions of every individual action in your future. Till then, heed your hubris

Fyi distance was there, its when everyone in front and behind said rider took the turn and so did i, the inly one out of that pack of turning riders who created a hassard was them. Its my fault i am human and do not have immaculate perception of all stupid things people can do. So i was blind to the stupidity of that idoot rider. But you keep defending idiots, that will make roads safer.

Comment

Working...
                                X