Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where has PSB gone?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Most forums are dead not just PSB

    I left not much longer after telling people about a site to get jap parts direct from japan with f*ck all thanks
    Plus turns out the old man was monitoring all my internet posts (so much shit created because of my two faced cousin)

    "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Crim View Post

      Ha Ha, were you the one that put up the sign "RIP Ilbuono" on one of O'Briens corners?
      I have to say I had a laugh when I saw that.
      RIP indeed, he was one fucked in the head troll.

      Busa Steve, continue to rage at the dying light, life is too short. Where you ride & hazard id is critical.
      No not me sorry and if llbuono was a troll he died before computers existed unless he was a ghost.

      I came across llbuono in December 1988 his body was under a b double and his helmet was 50 metres down the road he had been decapitated.

      ​​​​​​cool story bra think you have been had ta anyway.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Lord Augastus View Post

        Lol, so much energy, what is your view on my situation. You think your hindsight is 20/20, pelase teach me how to predict all actions of every individual action in your future. Till then, heed your hubris

        Fyi distance was there, its when everyone in front and behind said rider took the turn and so did i,
        Yes, I am passionate about this. (A) it was your fault, or you would not have paid for repairs (the law pretty much says if you run into the back of someone, its YOUR fault)

        (b) You tried to blame the other person by saying they were "on a shitty 250". Dude, if a 250 can out brake you, you need to learn how to ride.

        The fact everyone else made the corner shows you were NOT keeping a safe distance.

        (c) By not acknowledging YOUR fuckup, you are are likely to repeat it. Maybe next time you end up worse for it.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Para045 View Post

          When did you have an accident? Was that on the MT-10? Sorry to hear
          I only took mine out for the 1st time in a while as my son wanted to go on the back for the 1st time in a couple of years, wasn't that far just to a few shops etc maybe 50km's but was good to get back on the old girl
          Oh and +1 on what Pnork said
          No the last wreck was the Busa...MT09 I sold because I wasnt riding much...Andy... I always remember being in front of you on rides so am surprised you managed to keep your bike upright since it must have been almost at a standstiill😎
          Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post

            No the last wreck was the Busa...MT09 I sold because I wasnt riding much...Andy... I always remember being in front of you on rides so am surprised you managed to keep your bike upright since it must have been almost at a standstiill😎
            Maaaaate - I'm just here to help you look good.

            On a serious note, I did take it out a couple of weeks ago (whilst observing social distancing) first time I've been on it since that last ride we did with Craig & Ewen. I had to put the closed clutch cover on it before setting off though as it sounds something like a big box full of bolts being shaken without. Made me moist.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by datsikk View Post

              Yes, I am passionate about this. (A) it was your fault, or you would not have paid for repairs (the law pretty much says if you run into the back of someone, its YOUR fault)

              (b) You tried to blame the other person by saying they were "on a shitty 250". Dude, if a 250 can out brake you, you need to learn how to ride.

              The fact everyone else made the corner shows you were NOT keeping a safe distance.

              (c) By not acknowledging YOUR fuckup, you are are likely to repeat it. Maybe next time you end up worse for it.
              Look, I explained the situation twice, the law is the law, and it doesnt represent fairness, it represents the law. Your argument comes from a very simplistic ethical or moral background buddy. If you follow the law blindly without understanding it, or its application you should educate yourself. The fact is, due to the situation the law dictated i was at fault, but in fairness the 250 novice was in the wrong for going on a ride not riding at the front of the pack with the other learners and caused a hazard during said group ride right in the middle of other riders during an easy corner. You think otherwise thats your opinion ya but lakc of you actually being there perhaps your position is naught, but judging by you "c" point, itas clear you might just be an idiot...... By acknowledging the mistake is accepting it, and a route to avoiding it, meaning you are fooling yourself for raising that as an argument to show how I am the 'bad' and unjust individual in this situation or the next As for the other points: I have gave my side twice, if you cant understand or accept my outrage and proceed to defend unsafe, unaware, riding of other people thats further proves my point regarding your ill character. There is nothing I could have done cept maybe not participated in said learner rides with people who dont know how to ride with others, and that is exactly what I have done... Good day sir!

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Lord Augastus View Post

                Look, I explained the situation twice, the law is the law, and it doesnt represent fairness, it represents the law. Your argument comes from a very simplistic ethical or moral background buddy. If you follow the law blindly without understanding it, or its application you should educate yourself. The fact is, due to the situation the law dictated i was at fault, but in fairness the 250 novice was in the wrong for going on a ride not riding at the front of the pack with the other learners and caused a hazard during said group ride right in the middle of other riders during an easy corner. You think otherwise thats your opinion ya but lakc of you actually being there perhaps your position is naught, but judging by you "c" point, itas clear you might just be an idiot...... By acknowledging the mistake is accepting it, and a route to avoiding it, meaning you are fooling yourself for raising that as an argument to show how I am the 'bad' and unjust individual in this situation or the next As for the other points: I have gave my side twice, if you cant understand or accept my outrage and proceed to defend unsafe, unaware, riding of other people thats further proves my point regarding your ill character. There is nothing I could have done cept maybe not participated in said learner rides with people who dont know how to ride with others, and that is exactly what I have done... Good day sir!
                You ran into the back of him your mistake nothing to see here case closed get some riding lessons.

                let it go ffs ta.

                Comment


                • #38
                  A start would be a roll call of who actually visits this place lurking in the background, people are still riding you either start posting or the place folds!

                  Where do you stand!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    The forum was waning but the thing that finally killed it was the down time when the server crashed back in March(?) 2019. It was totally down for about 4 months IIRC and when it came back, it was no longer user friendly as it lost its interactive nature as there were no current posts - the forum was pretty static where the only way to post in threads was to go and find them, and if you didn't know they existed, you wouldn't find them. Before the crash it used to show the threads with recent posts in it so you could view the forum as a whole and it put read posts below it so it still displayed older threads you may wish to revisit without the need to go searching for them. It took many more months after it came back online for it to have a "new posts" function but it is isolated from the wider forum as it shows posts (not threads with recent posts in it) - it does make a difference to usability (for me anyway) . So, with the downtime and less user-friendly layout, people left. I will always think of the forum with fondness due to the online banter and the real life meetings that ensued, but I don't really feel the draw any more.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Kristy View Post
                      The forum was waning but the thing that finally killed it was the down time when the server crashed back in March(?) 2019. It was totally down for about 4 months IIRC and when it came back, it was no longer user friendly as it lost its interactive nature as there were no current posts - the forum was pretty static where the only way to post in threads was to go and find them, and if you didn't know they existed, you wouldn't find them. Before the crash it used to show the threads with recent posts in it so you could view the forum as a whole and it put read posts below it so it still displayed older threads you may wish to revisit without the need to go searching for them. It took many more months after it came back online for it to have a "new posts" function but it is isolated from the wider forum as it shows posts (not threads with recent posts in it) - it does make a difference to usability (for me anyway) . So, with the downtime and less user-friendly layout, people left. I will always think of the forum with fondness due to the online banter and the real life meetings that ensued, but I don't really feel the draw any more.
                      Addressing the problems is a start in the right direction here well said!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I think several things happened:
                        • PSB events (Mad ride? Bikini wash? Photo shoots?) stopped happening
                        • PSB parties stopped happening
                        • Barbs was closed for some time
                        • RAC was closed
                        • Scarbs was closed off and renovated
                        • Bike sales slowed down
                        • police presence went up
                        • the PSB core members got older and got more commitments or other things going on in their lives (e.g. I simply don't have the time due to commute distance/other commitments/etc. right now for example) or simply burned out
                        • The forum went off-line for an extended period of time
                        All of these things contributed but the straw, I think, was the forum being off-line for an extended period. This led to people simply getting used to organising stuff via other methods (messenger, phone, Facebook, etc.) and that was pretty much that. IT doesn't take long to break/establish a habit, and if you don't get your hit for an extended period of time... the habit is broken.

                        Forums in general are a bit of a dying thing - killed by social media. Whether you like social media or not... for instant comms, easy photo/video hosting, easy event hosting complete with reminders, etc. social media just destroys online forums.

                        I used to frequent a lot of them, now its mostly tech nerd forums (due to them being a much better source of info than social media and often better than developer/vendor docs), but personal interest stuff? Not so much.

                        Whether "PSB" as a group lives or dies I think depends on how its members adapt with the times. "PSB" is not a forum, the forum is just a tool for communication. Like most tools, eventually some new tool, or suite of tools evolve to replace them. Personally I made a bunch of long term friends who I stay in contact with and see whether bike related or not.

                        However, in terms of keeping the group alive... that's up to the individuals who care. If you actually care, in the spirit of the FNR... you post, you lead.

                        If you (as in, you the end user who maybe reading or posting in this thread) want the place to survive, organise things. You don't need to be an admin or a moderator or a long term member, etc. to do that. Come up with an idea, post it here, cross-post it to the PSB Facebook, etc. If your event turns out well/fun, run another one. Or maybe someone else will. If it turns out shit, learn from it and try again.

                        Don't just whine that PSB is dead/dying because the old guard moved on.
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          I sometimes still have a look, I was never a really active poster though. I moved up North in 2015, still ride most days, and have ridden down to Perth a few times.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Arkit View Post
                            I sometimes still have a look, I was never a really active poster though. I moved up North in 2015, still ride most days, and have ridden down to Perth a few times.
                            I have a lurk every once and a while but no longer FIFO so much less time on line at work LOL

                            It would be nice if it got some traction but most forums are in a similar state every one has gone to Facebook groups
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              So I floated the idea of making a basic app just to organise rides ageeees ago... something that would scrape/integrate with the forum, if someone creates a ride on in the loop, they will put some specifics in a format such as droppimg a google maps pin or have a dedicated field... but you could add rides on the app, get noticications of new rides, have in/out/mirkz buttons, could even have a notification when a ride pops up 'near me'... thoughts?
                              In rod we trust.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by carbon-rod View Post
                                So I floated the idea of making a basic app just to organise rides ageeees ago... something that would scrape/integrate with the forum, if someone creates a ride on in the loop, they will put some specifics in a format such as droppimg a google maps pin or have a dedicated field... but you could add rides on the app, get noticications of new rides, have in/out/mirkz buttons, could even have a notification when a ride pops up 'near me'... thoughts?
                                Whilst I admire the commitment... it's just something else someone has to commit to installing, and I'm not sure that building something on top of the forum (i.e., auto-scraping it for data because the end user doesn't log in) will help with the running costs, which I'm sure are a thing.


                                I'm not sure what the "solution" is, but I think as far as PSB the social circle goes the eventual replacement will be something that isn't a forum.

                                Maybe google groups + IRC or something of the like? (Back to old-school usenet + IRC, lol).
                                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X