Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where has PSB gone?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by thro View Post

    Whilst I admire the commitment... it's just something else someone has to commit to installing, and I'm not sure that building something on top of the forum (i.e., auto-scraping it for data because the end user doesn't log in) will help with the running costs, which I'm sure are a thing.


    I'm not sure what the "solution" is, but I think as far as PSB the social circle goes the eventual replacement will be something that isn't a forum.

    Maybe google groups + IRC or something of the like? (Back to old-school usenet + IRC, lol).
    Yeah, agreed, one more app...I guess it was more about having notifications when a ride is on / in your area as a way of notifying someone in a dedicated manner, so not even using it for chatting or anything... Facebook just isn't really conducive of proper threads is it, it's so hard to find anything, search is shit etc, I guess the big draw was the regular rides, that's what got people together and then the forum kind of followed because everyone knew each other.. Not sure if making an app to 'find rides in your area' (maybe it could find hot singles in your area too?) would stimulate more people to add more regular rides / easier to find a ride..
    In rod we trust.

    Comment


    • #47
      I think that perhaps the first thing that needs to be identified are the problems people have that prevent them from being involved.

      I think IRC + Google groups (usenet) would actually be a workable solution to fix some of the reliability/maintenance issues, but it's a lot more old school and not as flashy. But, they also don't involve the massive invasion of privacy like social media such as Facebook incur.

      IRC can be very resilient to failure as it runs on a network of many servers
      Ditto for usenet

      That would solve the issue of the forum software going down or having to be paid for by someone to run it.


      But that's not the only issue. I'm sure there are plenty of others.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

      Comment


      • #48
        Still around, but as others have alluded to, most of us went away after forum problems and increased risk of monetary fines. I've now moved to the USA where the only police cameras on the roads are those pinned to the cops shirts. Love the approach over here to speeding and road rules.
        :stupid:

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by carbon-rod View Post
          So I floated the idea of making a basic app just to organise rides ageeees ago... something that would scrape/integrate with the forum, could even have a notification when a ride pops up 'near me'... thoughts?
          If someone wanted a group ride, they used to come on here and then maybe saw an interested thread and so they then contributed. By having an app for rides, you further dilute the forum as peeps will use it rather than coming on here and posting.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by carbon-rod View Post

            Yeah, agreed, one more app...I guess it was more about having notifications when a ride is on / in your area as a way of notifying someone in a dedicated manner, so not even using it for chatting or anything... Facebook just isn't really conducive of proper threads is it, it's so hard to find anything, search is shit etc, I guess the big draw was the regular rides, that's what got people together and then the forum kind of followed because everyone knew each other.. Not sure if making an app to 'find rides in your area' (maybe it could find hot singles in your area too?) would stimulate more people to add more regular rides / easier to find a ride..

            If anyone can do it then it will be you haha
            “Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
            Hunter S. Thompson

            “Everyone looks good riding a motorcycle, although for some, it requires a full-face helmet.”

            Comment


            • #51
              When PSB was off-line I had to use FB... Hate the stalkerbook but have done a couple of PSB posts on FB.

              I popped into here recently looking for some gear and got some, so even at the worst of times, PSB still delivers!

              If I ride with anyone else now it's closed group private ninja stuff for comms.

              Have to pop in more often now. Curious what bike Barfy's going to get next
              The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Kelly.999 View Post

                There is no llbuono he was killed in 1988 cool harley i have never heard of but llbuono he was something else he would be over 70 if he was still alive.
                You're talking about the wrong LLbuono. The PSB LLbuono would be 58 right now if he's alive. He had lots and lots and lots of 80's stories about all the riding he didn't do. 💤💤💤

                Younger people tend not to inhabit forum style chat rooms.
                The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by AZAZL View Post

                  You're talking about the wrong LLbuono. The PSB LLbuono would be 58 right now if he's alive. He had lots and lots and lots of 80's stories about all the riding he didn't do. 💤💤💤

                  Younger people tend not to inhabit forum style chat rooms.
                  AZAZL you’ve missed the boat because you haven’t been here. Kelly 999 is Lilboner.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by marras View Post

                    AZAZL you’ve missed the boat because you haven’t been here. Kelly 999 is Lilboner.
                    The real llbuono is gone sadly the date is correct he was my friend i saw him pass, living with what happened in 1988 has been very hard his stories are true sadly not mine!

                    I actually told Azazl in the Kalamunda hotel i was not llbuono he didn't get it he still doesn't.
                    Last edited by Kelly.999; 24-06-2020, 07:26 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by marras View Post

                      AZAZL you’ve missed the boat because you haven’t been here. Kelly 999 is Lilboner.
                      I have it on good authority he isn't.

                      Now where has the sarcasm font gone
                      The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Kelly.999 View Post

                        The real llbuono is gone sadly the date is correct he was my friend i saw him pass, living with what happened in 1988 has been very hard his stories are true sadly not mine!

                        I actually told Azazl in the Kalamunda hotel i was not llbuono he didn't get it he still doesn't.

                        The English language is a strange thing. Many people use all sorts of words to avoid using the words dead, die or death. Sometimes they make me chuckle. Like in this example.

                        When they die, they don't pass. They fail.
                        The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by AZAZL View Post
                          Have to pop in more often now. Curious what bike Barfy's going to get next
                          uh, no idea.
                          Step 1 is to get a house
                          Step 2 is to replace my car which is almost 20 years old, is still reliable but my confidence in it staying that way is dropping
                          Step 3 is another bike, fuck knows what it will be
                          For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                          For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X