Where has PSB gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
    Thread shitters and grammar Nazis killed off the forums.
    Sorry, I just had to.
    If you can... you MUST!

Comment

• Originally posted by thro View Post
      I think several things happened:
      • PSB events (Mad ride? Bikini wash? Photo shoots?) stopped happening
      • PSB parties stopped happening
      • Barbs was closed for some time
      • RAC was closed
      • Scarbs was closed off and renovated
      • Bike sales slowed down
      • police presence went up
      • the PSB core members got older and got more commitments or other things going on in their lives (e.g. I simply don't have the time due to commute distance/other commitments/etc. right now for example) or simply burned out
      • The forum went off-line for an extended period of time
      All of these things contributed but the straw, I think, was the forum being off-line for an extended period. This led to people simply getting used to organising stuff via other methods (messenger, phone, Facebook, etc.) and that was pretty much that. IT doesn't take long to break/establish a habit, and if you don't get your hit for an extended period of time... the habit is broken.

Forums in general are a bit of a dying thing - killed by social media. Whether you like social media or not... for instant comms, easy photo/video hosting, easy event hosting complete with reminders, etc. social media just destroys online forums.

I used to frequent a lot of them, now its mostly tech nerd forums (due to them being a much better source of info than social media and often better than developer/vendor docs), but personal interest stuff? Not so much.

Whether "PSB" as a group lives or dies I think depends on how its members adapt with the times. "PSB" is not a forum, the forum is just a tool for communication. Like most tools, eventually some new tool, or suite of tools evolve to replace them. Personally I made a bunch of long term friends who I stay in contact with and see whether bike related or not.

However, in terms of keeping the group alive... that's up to the individuals who care. If you actually care, in the spirit of the FNR... you post, you lead.

If you (as in, you the end user who maybe reading or posting in this thread) want the place to survive, organise things. You don't need to be an admin or a moderator or a long term member, etc. to do that. Come up with an idea, post it here, cross-post it to the PSB Facebook, etc. If your event turns out well/fun, run another one. Or maybe someone else will. If it turns out shit, learn from it and try again.

Don't just whine that PSB is dead/dying because the old guard moved on.
      I will drink to that my friend, you sure have summed it up, plus young people are not buying motorbikes. What I am noticing is people are organising events with very little notice, it's probably a fear of bad weather but you need to give people time to organise themselves. The Bridgetown rides started out with 4 riders and grew to 23, the Toodyay runs grew to over 40. The Bridgetown rides took me about 20 minutes to organise after I had done a few and were always a huge success and as you say, just have a go like I did.

buelllord

PS, unfortunately I now live on the other side of Australia, I own a pub in a rainforest called Bellbird Creek, Victoria. It is in the Victorian High country so the riding is to die for, drop in and introduce yourself
      Women are like motorcycles, they should be ridden hard and kept well lubricated ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Klink View Post

Sorry, I just had to.
        Klink hi, do other members of the old guard poke there heads in here, and are you still mates with Deej and the original crew. This place was a huge part of my life and would hate to see it go ...

buelllord
        Women are like motorcycles, they should be ridden hard and kept well lubricated ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Deborah View Post
          Quitting PSB for good is easy - I’ve done it several times.
          I am your biggest fan ...

buelllord

Comment

• Originally posted by Cbr1k View Post
            Just saying hi to all the old members. Glad to see you are still alive and hopefully you haven't all traded the bikes in for Volvo's
            Cherie, how are you little spunk ...

Comment

• Originally posted by buelllord View Post

Cherie, how are you little spunk ...
              ROFL…

Comment

• Originally posted by buelllord View Post

Klink hi, do other members of the old guard poke there heads in here, and are you still mates with Deej and the original crew. This place was a huge part of my life and would hate to see it go ...

buelllord
                Good question, im in occasional contact with the guys - but not sure of their frequency on here.
                If you can... you MUST!

Comment

• Originally posted by BusaSteve View Post
                  It is sad this and other forums have come to this...I still come on for a look-see but don't have a bike anymore with little possibility of getting another any time soon. Plus I am not interested in doing all-day rides anymore....I wonder if many feel the same.
                  Yeah mate, I miss some of the shorter rides we did, even if there were only a few of us

Originally posted by agrid View Post
                  I reckon a lot of people wandered off while PSB was offline for a long time. I see a lot of comments about the database getting too large, but forums like seabreeze.com.au have a similar number of posts and I don't remember it failing in the last decade, despite being free.
                  +1 We went through the same issue when I was involved with the Ozblackbird forum, we had a couple of major server crashes and while a lot came back after the 1st one the 2nd one was the killer along with social media taking off and people's lives changing not to mention they stopped making the mighty Bird

​​​​​​​
                  Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
                  Stalkbook is only really good for marketplace.

Forums used to have a wealth of information, I knew about the 2nd gear recall on the 2016 R1 before mandurah yamaha.
                  +1 Most of the mods and "fixes" I found for my Bird were from various BB forums, similarly for issues with my Turbo Falcon the Ford forums gave great insights into remedies that you won't find on Farcebook, not that I'm on it anyway

Originally posted by Klink View Post
                  ​​​​​​​
                  Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
                  Thread shitters and grammar Nazis killed off the forums
                  Sorry, I just had to.
                  ​​​​​​​ ROFL
                  #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                  Originally posted by Phildo
                  Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                  Originally posted by filbert
                  i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                  Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

• My problem with getting out on rides is I just cant risk my licence anymore. A section 60 is not something I could recover from now. At least if I ride alone at the speed limit no-one gives a shit
                    You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

• Originally posted by Cbr1k View Post
                      My problem with getting out on rides is I just cant risk my licence anymore. A section 60 is not something I could recover from now. At least if I ride alone at the speed limit no-one gives a shit
                      Yer I've got only 1 hoon law strike to go and im banned for life/jail so the panigale I had was barely ridden and not at crazy speeds.
                      Have to wait till mid next year before I can get a spent conviction.
                      "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

• Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post

Yer I've got only 1 hoon law strike to go and im banned for life/jail so the panigale I had was barely ridden and not at crazy speeds.
                        Have to wait till mid next year before I can get a spent conviction.
                        How long do you have to wait for a spent conviction?
                        You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

• 10 years since the second hoon law

Comment

• I reckon the crack down by plod on bike riders has a lot to do with many dropping off the radar and Sunday drivers reporting riders overtaking them at a few ks over the limit while they drive slow enough for arthritic ants to cross the road.... Oh and that stupid weight loss mob taking up valuable motorcycle shop space in Vic Park...they even park their cars there!
                            Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

• 48 users online, 47 of them guests so i clicked in to see what they were looking at, quiet a few looking at user profiles. Fuckitall, now im going to have find my tinfoil hat

Comment

• Might be bots/scammers.

Guess Tim needs to do a cleanup or make sign in only to view the forum.
                                Last edited by Halo_2; 26-06-2022, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X