Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Months RE’s

Hey guys,

First time poster, just curious I’ve had my car driving license for 6 years, full license, my brother is saying I don’t need to do the six months and HPT, so I went and did the theory, got my learners permit for RE’s, the people at the DVR said I have to wait six months before going for the HPT, but according to some whenever i feel I am ready I can just go for the practical, is that correct?

or do I have to do the six months on learners permit and do the HPT...

I thought you only had to do it once. IE you had done it with a car license so that was it. Looks like it has changed.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Yeah that’s my confusion, I was just interested in if anyone knew for definite that is the case, might be worth while just going in and asking, I am unable to find anything to tell me that I don’t have to resist a HPT and do the six months

Comment

From DOT:

"To start learning to ride a LAMS approved motorcycle, you must apply for a learner's permit and pass the motorcycle theory test.
        • You can apply for an R-E class learner's permit at 16 years of age.
        • You will need to pay for the theory test, the application fee and the Learner Log Book (if you choose to log hours in the printed log book)*.
        • You will need to sit a motorcycle theory test consisting of 35 multiple-choice questions that relate to general road rules and specific motorcycle relevant questions.
        • You will need to get 28 or more answers correct to pass.

* A log book is not applicable if you already hold a licence to drive a car."
        and

"Once a minimum of six calendar months has lapsed since you were issued with your Learner's permit for the R-E class and you have reached the minimum age of 16 years and six months, you can sit your motorcycle Hazard Perception Test (HPT).

If you already hold a licence to drive a moped (R-N Class), and you were required to complete the motorcycle HPT to obtain it, you need to hold your R-E class learner’s permit for six months, but you will not be required to complete the motorcycle HPT again.

You must have passed the motorcycle HPT before you can attempt a Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) on a motorcycle.

Visit the Hazard Perception Test page for information on completing step five of getting your licence."
        Looks like yes you need to wait 6 months and do the HPT if you didn't do it for a moped or MC as it's a MC specific HPT
        No need for log book or P plates but will need to do a MC specific theory test
        #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
        Originally posted by Phildo
        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
        Originally posted by filbert
        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

I did not have to do HPT at all, but I must say I have had divers license longer than 6 years. Have the law change where you must do HPT regardless of age?
          Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
          remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
          Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
          Who died while defending his right of way;
          He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
          But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

wife just did her R class, and had to do the HPT and 6 months on L before she can do the test. (Passed)
            "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Comment

Originally posted by acdcfan View Post
              I did not have to do HPT at all, but I must say I have had divers license longer than 6 years. Have the law change where you must do HPT regardless of age?
              Do you have an underwater bike?

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	5244607
              #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
              Originally posted by Phildo
              Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
              Originally posted by filbert
              i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
              Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Working...
              X