"Loud pipes save lives" called out in study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Loud pipes save lives" called out in study

This study has confirmed my own experience while driving a cage, even without loud music, that the statement is esencially bullshit

Good to see that something scientific was done about this for a change.

Link? Found it....

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
      Link?
      Hover your mouse over the first word ("This")

Comment

I do hear loud bikes before those with stock exhausts. My ears and experience find that indisputable. However as a bike rider, i am more tuned into that than non bike riders. But those using ioud exhausts to become complacent and not employ better roadcraft is where the issue is.

Comment

Sound is directional isn't it? The years on the bike have definitely changed how I drive.

Saying that, was following my housemate and he attested to being able ot hear my bike quite well even with me behind - though his hearing is insane, hears shit no one else can haha
          '13 YZF-R1 // '00 RZ Supra // '72 XA Fairmont Sedan (Resto Project)

Comment

Originally posted by shifted View Post
            Sound is directional isn't it? The years on the bike have definitely changed how I drive.

Saying that, was following my housemate and he attested to being able ot hear my bike quite well even with me behind - though his hearing is insane, hears shit no one else can haha
            Sure, it's loudest behind the exhaust (directional) but it's not like there's a line drawn above the outlet where no noise passes forward.

Yes, my hearing is exceptional as well. But as above, some noise will travel forward. If it didn't you wouldn't hear anything behind a stereo's speakers (let's say, in an outdoor setting to avoid the argument of sound bouncing off walls).

Comment

We have let say trained ears to hear a motorcycle approaching because we ride on a daily basis. Those who don't ride at all will not here it until close to the car
              Originally posted by SIR sparks a lot
              remember opinions are like assholes everybody will have one
              Here lies the body of Dorian Grey
              Who died while defending his right of way;
              He was right, oh so right, as he journeyed along
              But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Comment

Originally posted by acdcfan View Post
                We have let say trained ears to hear a motorcycle approaching because we ride on a daily basis. Those who don't ride at all will not here it until close to the car
                +1 Even as an experienced MC rider there have been times I've been surprised by a bike splitting at speed on the Fwy or a Hwy I'm not talking open pipe Hardley but things like a Ducati or R1 with an Akro etc, if the bike is moving quick enough in a new car with the sound proofing they have these days and maybe the radio on
                It's why I constantly tell my son who's on "P" plates to be constantly checking his mirrors
                #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                Originally posted by Phildo
                Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                Originally posted by filbert
                i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

loud pipes saving lives is total bullshit because you won't hear a bike until it is beside you really - because all the sound energy is being fired backwards.

opening your eyes while riding and thinking about what car drivers will do saves lives.
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                  X