Two-stroke diesels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two-stroke diesels

...someone was asking about these on the forum the other day. And, lo and behold, we just received a new crate motor today. So I thought I'd post some pics.

It's a Detroit Diesel 8V91. V8, not sure how big (probably 9.1L). Puts out 500bhp at 2500rpm. Interestingly, it's turbocharged (with a Detroit 8/91 blower) and turbocharged (with a big Garrett). This is pretty rare though, these days.. they're almost all just turbocharged now.

#9.

Diesel Power

Number 9,

Whats she going into?

P.S.

Love the new bike.

And another see the light....

Comment

madmax: Exploration drill rig.. not sure which one exactly, a UDR5000 I think. So it'll be a glorified hydraulic pump..

And thanks, I'm pretty happy too.

Comment

Diesel Power

Doesn't Detroit Diesel also bring out a version for light trucks 4x4s etc.

A mate put a Detroit Diesel I believe in his Landcruiser and it went like a shower of shit. Awesome off road.

Give me a call when your in Perth next and we will take the twins for a ride.

I'll P.M. you my mobile.

Comment

Not sure what they make, actually.. I'll ask one of the fitters, they should be able to tell me. We use mostly CAT diesels out here (which are, nowadays, mostly turbocharged four-strokes).. I guess Detroits are starting to die off.

Comment

We got a few big V12 twin turbo detriot diesels at work, hey humm soooo nice. Big fuel guzzlers too

Comment

The engine previxes tells you the engine size and configeration,
              8= 8 cylinders
              V= V8
              91= the cubic inch of each cylinder

8by91 = 728 ci

The same go's for the 4/71 , 6/71, 8V/71

There not used in new trucks any more because they don't meet emission control requirements of today.

Comment

WAXX: Well you learn something new every day! I made a mistake, though; the engine is an 8V92 not an 8V91. So it's 736ci, or a shade over 12L. I take it you've worked with them..?

Shoxer: Yeah, we've got a couple of 12V models too. Ours are twin supercharged (two 6/71 blowers, I think) though.

Comment

Have done a bit of work on them, there a great engine for plant type work.

Being two stroke they have no valve train and if you want to inspect the pistons or bore you just have remove the exaust manifold and look inside.

Comment

Re: Diesel Power

Doesn't Detroit Diesel also bring out a version for light trucks 4x4s etc.

A mate put a Detroit Diesel I believe in his Landcruiser and it went like a shower of shit. Awesome off road.

Give me a call when your in Perth next and we will take the twins for a ride.

I'll P.M. you my mobile.
                    Hey Max, count me in for a twins ride mate, I'll be in for that!

Comment

Working...
                    X