Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Green' Future bikes, links, discussion, etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Green' Future bikes, links, discussion, etc...

Well the other day the resident crackpot bike builder (pushbike) rode through the ol' bottle shop once again but on something a little different. It was an electric bicycle, good for up to over 30km/hr he reckoned and all though i forget quite the distance and further if you pedalled at the same time. All bolted on to an old pushy which had been chopped into a chopper style bike.

That's pretty damn cool I thought he's been doing the same to other bikes with little two stroke motors for ages now but this was the first and finished looking toy I would be tempted to buy and whack on my own pushbike for cheap and environmentally guilt free transportation to and from work. for about $400 he told me. I bet you can get the same stuff he uses and do it yourself much cheaper too.

There seems to be a much firmer push towards electric and hybrid vehicles out there at the moment (or so it seems to me at least) with a recent car show in the US having most manufacturers and noticibly the large American gas guzzling ones showing micro concept cars powered by electricity with 200 odd km range, or maybe it was miles it was american.
    So whilst the average Yank might struggle to fit in a Micro car It seems if they live up to their promise they will start to be available by 2011. Cool stuff, yay for the environment.
    But what about bikes? In past times of economic downturn motorcycle sales stay strong, people look for cheaper and more economic ways to get around.. well may be not the sportsbike community but around the rest of the world that sounds about right doesn't it?

What does the future hold for the Tree hugging biker? depends on how you come to be hugging a tree I suppose....

here's some links and articles and pretty pictures to get the discussion going.

Suzuki Crosscage now a working prototype

Honda to sell hybrid motorcycles by 2011

Honda electric motorcycle to reach market 'about two years from now'

Build your own Electric Kawasaki...

MOtOrepublic design studio beta project (follow links)

MOTOrepublic are currently working on a full-scale prototype. The next step, if funding can be found, will be a running example. Let's hope they have one in time to compete in the zero-emissions TTXGP.
    KTM reveals race-ready electric motorcycle, production within two years

Zero S Electric Motorcycle

Isle of man TTxGP

They'll pry my hippy hating 2 smoker out of my cold dead hands.

That said, i'm sure the tech is there to have an ethanol fuelled bike without too much hassle...

Electric and zero emissions != true.

Lead mining and acid production is certainly pretty heavy on the ol' environmental impact and both are needed in large quantities for a battery powered electric vehicle.

Not to mention the coal fired power stations we have here to charge it...
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Fuel cell FTW!

Intelligent Energy's ENV bike combines an electric motor for acceleration and a hydrogen fuel cell for cruising.

S.
      Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

Hydrogen is a better solution than electric motors
        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Discuss.

Comment

Even Big Bear Choppers did an electric bike as a design study. Apparently the V-Twin engine is a fake and is hollowed out and contains most of the batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
              Hydrogen is a better solution than electric motors
              Better crashes.

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

Green bikes..PFFT i'm not buying a kawasaki for ANYONE! those things are UGLY!

lol hydrogen needs to be chilled and pressurized.... rupture the tank and it'll blow, stop the cooling and it'll pop... oh fun lol.... i say ethanol for bikes. hydrogen for cars.

theres a plant in NZ called Methanex that was set up by the gov after the 80's fuel scare to make petrol out of methanol...out of natural gas.. i spose we could make petrol out of ethanol... but the expense... and it's renewable but hardle green.

Comment

The problem with any fuel that is derived from a crop (of say corn or sugar), is that as the population grows and food shortages start, it would be a crime against humanity to use valuble crops for a fuel source instead of food.

Comment

Is there anything people would particularly like in say an electric bike? The throttle could become more of an on/off switch, would a slipper clutch be an easy way around the sudden and huge potential engine braking if your hand slipped mid corner...

The most interesting part about this is the TTxGP these bikes are coming, we've heard before the 'oh noes it's too quiet, you need to hear a bike coming etc.,..' usual list of complaints but is there any rider benefits or things you'd like to see in a 'green' bike? Are there any potential advances people can imagine?

Try to focus on Pro's rather than Con's pls.

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                      That said, i'm sure the tech is there to have an ethanol fuelled bike without too much hassle...
                      Tank Sports E85 Ethanol Fueled Motorcycle

Not pure ethanol but yeah.

The future? Two strokes

Comment

Originally posted by millsy View Post
                        Is there anything people would particularly like in say an electric bike? The throttle could become more of an on/off switch, would a slipper clutch be an easy way around the sudden and huge potential engine braking if your hand slipped mid corner...
                        You don't need a clutch at all.
                        One of the benefits of electric is you don't really need a gearbox. Peak torque of electric motors doesn't vary much from zero rpm to high rpm.

As for throttle response. Electronic control systems these days are easy to program to achieve any sort of throttle response you desire. This could include safety features that ignore throttle blips or smooth out poor throttle control.

Comment

Biggest advantage I can see is I could sleep easy at night knowing that no money of mine was lining the pockets of Arabs/Muslims like it was when paying for petrol

Comment

Originally posted by El Skitzo View Post
                            Biggest advantage I can see is I could sleep easy at night knowing that no money of mine was lining the pockets of Arabs/Muslims like it was when paying for petrol
                            Okaaaaay.

That's um... one way of looking at it......I suppose!

Comment

Nuclear for electricity and better batters tech, then keep working on fusion for better power.

Fuel should be saved for air transport as the weight of batteries is an issue.

Hydrogen is almost impossible to contain and it leaks out of everything so storing it and shipping it is a huge problem. you cant just whack it in a petrol tanker and truck it round.

Electricity you can. Cold fusion is the answer with electric powered vehicles with better batteries.

Personally I would love to get one of those zero dirtbikes. I love being in the buch and it would be awesome to be able to fang through it while feeling at one with it and hearing birds and shit rather than making so much noise you cant hear shit.
                              My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Working...
                              X