New R1 Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New R1 Key

I did a search but couldn't really find anything, how much roughly and where would I get a new key for an 05 R1, I've still got the red key thankfully and want to get a normal one cut before I lose that one , does anyone have experience with this?

do not lose the red key!
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

I would say $100-150 replacement with programming.

Comment

Try call a Yamaha dealer

Comment

I wants a red key
          Originally posted by Lefty
          Wouldn't be like me to upset the herd.

Comment

Ok I have to get an OEM blank key, take it to a locksmith to get it cut , then take it to a dealership with the red key to get it coded. Anyone know if the keys have specific regions, I can get one off US ebay for about 50$ which might be cheaper than through the spare parts center.

Comment

i know the US peoples on the r1 forum often get the canadians (who have euro bikes) to source keys for them.. because the yank keys have ugly handles.

so based on that, the actual blanks must be compatible.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by g0zer; 29-07-2009, 04:57 PM.
              If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

I would also been keen on getting a blank OEM key if you're sourcing one.
                Would need one for the 07/08 model tho (not sure if they are the same).
                Maybe share on the postage?

I only got one black key for the bike and a grey key.
                I'm assuming this is the main programming key? It's not red as everyone says it should be.

I wouldn't mind a spare key.

Comment

Well Highway Yamaha has blanks in stock but for 92$ I thought I'd give this ago,

Genuine Yamaha R1 R6 RZ RD FZ TZ TZR YZF VMAX Blank Key:eBay Motors (item 370233377830 end time Jul-29-09 01:21:27 PDT)=

I'll let you know if it works lol.

Comment

should be ok..

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
                      i know the US peoples on the r1 forum often get the canadians (who have euro bikes) to source keys for them.. because the yank keys have ugly handles.

so based on that, the actual blanks must be compatible.
                      Canadians get the same bikes as the US. EU and Aus get the euro bikes. We get the big fugly key for Yamahas too. The small ones are most likely coming from the UK.
                      EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

Quick question, I want to go for a ride this weekend and while unlikely I don't want to lose the red key due to my clumsiness and murphies law, According to the net you program new keys using the red one and starting the bike with it then putting the blank in ( or something like that) however If I wrote down the code thats on the metal plate do you think I'd still be able to get a blank key coded if somehow I lost the red one or do you definitely need the red key's transponder?

Comment

I think that key only relates to the cut and not the code ??

Comment

Oops, just realised the answer to my own question, how would I get a new key cut if I didn't have a key ( the red one) the first place , duuurrrrrrrrr....

Comment

Originally posted by ApatheticEnd View Post
                              Canadians get the same bikes as the US. EU and Aus get the euro bikes. We get the big fugly key for Yamahas too. The small ones are most likely coming from the UK.

are you sure?

Yamaha Key : Yamaha R1 Forum

i remember a while back, a canadian lady was everyones friend because she was running around organising replacment keys for all the yanks who didnt like their ugly keys as per above thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X