09 YZF R-1 question of owners/riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 09 YZF R-1 question of owners/riders

Hey peeps, been looking into (and reading into) a couple of bikes, and the new r1 has got me interested enough to take one for a test ride next week. But after seeing one and sitting on one, my only concern is for build quality. Or rather, lack there of. Have always found yamaha's in general to be of exceedingly high standards, but this new one has me worried. Plastics seem brittle and VERY thin, they creak and groin at the slightest touch and the headlight assembly (that looks more 'Dame Edna' than the zx10 ever did lol) is made up of about 5 individual pieces of plastic that rattled at a light tap on the nose. Was this bike just a one off and not screwed together well? Does anyone else have any feedback or experience from owning or riding one? Have also heard of cranks being machined very ordinarily (out of balance/excess material left on them?) in overseas roadtest reports and quality issues, but heard nothing negative hear.
    Any info or experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.
    Ta all, Steve
    yes, i am ignorant
    yes, i am a prick
    no, i don't care
    you make me sick

I went on the R1 ride and a few of the new riders had expressed concerns that the globe lenses are not covered. One of the 09R1s had already suffered a considerably large chip on the lens which might cause grief if shuch chips keep occuring.

I'd assume it would be a fair $$$$ to get them replaced.
    Have you won the game recently?? Post here

Comment

Hey Steve,
      I have the latest R1 and haven't noticed any problems with any of the construction. I clean it as often as I can and would notice if things were loose or rattling. Nothin so far. I really like the look of it but that's personal taste of course. but fk all that, its awesome to ride so maybe I just overlook everything else, cause when that motor kicks into gear - its go go go go go!!!

Comment

Yeah, have no issues with how it rides atm, more that it 'seemed' delicate. Can't think of a better way to phrase it, so just wondering if my observations were correct or just a one-off bad representation.
        yes, i am ignorant
        yes, i am a prick
        no, i don't care
        you make me sick

Comment

Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
          and the headlight assembly (that looks more 'Dame Edna' than the zx10 ever did lol)
          olololol paging maxo for a admiral ackbar-sedici style photoshop

Comment

Mine has done about 6K and although I don't ride it hard, I'm already starting to encounter clutch issues. If you read the pommie mags, it seems that many R1's are having clutches replaced before the 5K mark, both on hard and easy ridden bikes. It has something to do with the clutch freeplay being particularly crucial on this bike.

The next issue that is being reported (again mostly in the UK) is crank problems. GE Racing Team in the UK race R1's in the British championship, and they have reported having to shave off up to 35g off the stock cranks to make 'em properly balanced (according to Fast Bikes anyway). The team claim that Yamaha have made certain admissions to them to suggest that there is a quality control problem in the factory where the cranks are being manufactured - but this allegation is not backed up with an official statement from Yamaha (yet). Now 35g might not sound like much, but at 14000 RPM it is a critical and unacceptable inconsistency. A properly balanced crank is incredibly important, particularly with the R1's complex bearings due to the cross plane set up. This would explain the wide variances in feel between the R1's - some are smooth and gruntie from down low, others vibrate mercilessly and are peaky. Apparently, it all comes down to unbalanced cranks in the production line. I say again, this issue seems to be mostly occurring in the UK, although On the R1 forums a yank fella (sorry no link) experienced his bottom end exploding when the crank burst through the left hand casing. He swears he wasn't caning it, but even if he was the motor shouldn't have done that. As I get more info I shall post some more. I intend on getting my clutch looked at during the 10K service

Comment

my issue is the air box cover bolt at the headstem has broken away and now it floats it is secure. i came acroos it one day i ve had it rewelded but it has broken again in between services bike now has 21000 k on the 08 model. that is my only gripe with the bike other than that is fricken sweet no issues just need new chain and sprockets
              Guns don't kill people, people with moustaches kill people.

Comment

They have used a harder plastic for the side fairings this time which may account for the creaking.

Overall build quality isnt bad ... but like all bikes can always be improved. Id buy one then strip it and just tidy it up so I was happy with everything.
                Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

just buy a duke cause then it doesnt matter as you'll be fixing it
                  Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

yeah, read about the crank issues in an o.s. Mag. Have heard that none of the bikes roadtested seem as good as the release press bikes, which had me thinking bad things. Thanks for the feedback. More homework methinks
                    Posted via Mobile Device
                    yes, i am ignorant
                    yes, i am a prick
                    no, i don't care
                    you make me sick

Comment

Originally posted by Hewie View Post
                      Overall build quality isnt bad ... but like all bikes can always be improved. Id buy one then strip it and just tidy it up so I was happy with everything.
                      You make that sound like it's something you'll want to do in the near future ? ^_^

Comment

ShortSteve,
                        I am on my second 09R1 having been the victim of a "P" plate driver who didn't understand that the read sign with stop printed in the middle of it means don't pull out in front of oncoming traffic.
                        The estimated speed of the impact was 80km/h and the bike then crossed 4 lanes of traffic and ended in a drainage ditch. Although the bike was written off 90% of the damage was cosmetic with the only real damage (besides being covered in scratches) was a cracked windshield support, front wheel damage.

The bike was basically rideable after such a big impact and the fairings and general structure of the bike held up remarkably well. e.g. nothing fell off it (except me )

My biggest shock was the cost of the fairing etc but this was sort of expected since the bike is so new and parts are not readily available yet.

I had the option of getting a different bike, more expensive Italian bike (with the wife's permission) but I love riding the R1 I decided to replace it. It has more than enough power for me and the handling is fantastic.

Hope this info helps - I don't think you'll be disappointed if you choose to buy one. My next bike will be Italian
                        Drag'n

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

-W. Churchill

Comment

the main thing ive noticed from the r1 forum.. is that the dyno results from these bikes are just awful.

i know different dynos rear different.. dyno numbers from the 04-06 bikes anywhere from low 150's to low 160s with some slightly modded bikes breaking into 170's.

the 07-08 dyno ranges were quite similar.

so far the vast majority of 09r1 dyno results ive seen are low 140's to high 140's...

wtf is with that? i would have expected a motor 2 generations newer from mine, to be in the high 160's to mid 170's

edit: the other thing ive noticed, is the full graves race system dyno curves for the first time, do not smooth out the curve so much nor provide as much improvement as in the past. maybe they have rushed the system to the market? or maybe there isnt much to gain? but its not just the graves curves that look umm uninspiring.
                          Originally posted by Bendito
                          If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Not to mention Rossi stated it feels as good as the first M1 he rode with Yamaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Hewie View Post
                              They have used a harder plastic for the side fairings this time which may account for the creaking.

Side fairings seemed fine and didn't cause me any concern. The nose assemble (headlights, screen, the whole upper fairing really) and the rear end around the seats and between rider and pillion seats was my first noticeable concern. Had never seen plastics so bendy, yet seemed brittle.
                              Maybe just a bit pedantic...
                              yes, i am ignorant
                              yes, i am a prick
                              no, i don't care
                              you make me sick

Comment

Working...
                              X